Paul MacLean Thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Starting to perform like the best line this team can ice.

Ryan with Zibanejad is the right thing to do. That line has been on fire lately. Ryan could have easily had 2 goals, Ziba producing and Hoffman producing.

That line also puts Turris under less pressure and Stone does just as well there anyway.

Last edited:

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
Ryan with Zibanejad is the right thing to do. That line has been on fire lately. Ryan could have easily had 2 goals, Ryan producing and Hoffman producing.

That line also puts Turris under less pressure and Stone does just as well there anyway.

I think this is a a great change. Zibbie now has a real talent to score on the wing :)

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Ryan with Zibanejad is the right thing to do. That line has been on fire lately. Ryan could have easily had 2 goals, Ziba producing and Hoffman producing.

Turris needs to pick up his game soon, a team's #1 center with no shots on goal in a game is a formula for failure.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata

PM has been trying to have Ryan to play with Zib since beginning of the season, it is nothing new, he knew we had to have two scoring lines to have any success, unfortunately these two lines have not been able to perform well at the same time. And time is not on his side, I thought he might be fired by Christmas break, now I sense it may happen within a week. If we lose to the Canucks tomorrow...

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It will not matter who coaches these guys, they do not have enough skill to score goals and win games. Every coach they have had since they were 10 years old has been teaching telling them the same thing. Murray just passes the blame off and bammm... must be the coach cause his teams built to win

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I don't defend the guy usually, but tough to play his system without Alf and Gonchar. This team has been playing like a chicken with its head cut off since those two guys left.

But he needs to adapt to the team he's been given, and he has failed to do so. But coaches tend to be stubborn, and I don't think another person would be necessarily better. We've seen enough bad coaching in the NHL (in Ottawa too!) to know that either it is a difficult job (much easier to be the armchair coach not dealing with egos and various pressures), or that the true coaching talent is rare (too many dinosaurs). Or both.

I don't think he should be fired. The devil you know...

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Firstly, let me say I want to separate Murray, the man (and his illness) from Murray, the GM.

If Maclean truly is on the hot seat, then I'm done with Bryan Murray the GM. I've appreciated the lengths he's gone to restock this team with some nice talented prospects but if you truly believe this franchise, with it's pathetically low pay roll featuring washed-up veterans like Legwand, Phillips, Michalek, etc. and one that has featured you making absolutely zero moves of substance through the course of the season (last year and now) is a playoff-caliber franchise, then please get the **** away from this franchise NOW.

When a good chunk of this fanbase is realistic enough to believe that this is not a playoff team, and not even close to one that can compete for the Cup, and you don't, it's time for you to step away from management and focus on your own health. Because, apart from your drafting, you've done a lot to damage this team. And frankly, you don't deserve the right to choose your 5th head coach under your term as GM.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Firstly, let me say I want to separate Murray, the man (and his illness) from Murray, the GM.

If Maclean truly is on the hot seat, then I'm done with Bryan Murray the GM. I've appreciated the lengths he's gone to restock this team with some nice talented prospects but if you truly believe this franchise, with it's pathetically low pay roll featuring washed-up veterans like Legwand, Phillips, Michalek, etc. and one that has featured you making absolutely zero moves of substance through the course of the season (last year and now) is a playoff-caliber franchise, then please get the **** away from this franchise NOW.

When a good chunk of this fanbase is realistic enough to believe that this is not a playoff team, and not even close to one that can compete for the Cup, and you don't, it's time for you to step away from management and focus on your own health. Because, apart from your drafting, you've done a lot to damage this team. And frankly, you don't deserve the right to choose your 5th head coach under your term as GM.

I doubt any GM in the league is going to stand in front of a microphone (especially in a hard sell market) and proclaim the team to be crap in a barrel. They're always going to put a positive spin on things to put bums in the seats.

I'm sure everyone in management knows just how hard it will be for an inexperienced team like this to hit the playoffs.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
If he was let go - who would step in? Surely not one of our assistants; there is no-one realistically sitting in the booth waiting for the phone to ring; Richardson wants to be in Bingo. There is no plug and play candidate Murray can go to.

Other teams cast offs and certain TV announcers are not the answer.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
If he was let go - who would step in? Surely not one of our assistants; there is no-one realistically sitting in the booth waiting for the phone to ring; Richardson wants to be in Bingo. There is no plug and play candidate Murray can go to.

Jacques Martin is a name the jumps out at me im sure theres other.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

While I realize Richardson accepted the job in Binghamton to be close to his daughter, I'm sure he and his wife could work out something for 3-4 months if he was offered/accepted the Sens head coaching job.

The Richardsons kept their home in Ottawa so moving back here had to be in the plans at some point.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I doubt any GM in the league is going to stand in front of a microphone (especially in a hard sell market) and proclaim the team to be crap in a barrel. They're always going to put a positive spin on things to put bums in the seats.

I'm sure everyone in management knows just how hard it will be for an inexperienced team like this to hit the playoffs.

Agreed in general.

However no one outside the organization knows what is really going on inside the room. If the players have tuned out Mac for whatever reason, then Murray may be forced to make a move.

Fact is many of the veteran players aren't playing well and Mac seems accepting of that while seemingly laying the blame on the young guys.

Cowen, Wiercoich, Lazar, Hoffman have been healthy scratches for multiple games, yet of the vets Smith and Michalek, both of whom have contributed very little sat for 3 games total.

IMO Mac is showing his bias for veterans, it may be his undoing in the end.

PS
For those fans suggesting Murray should have made a significant move to change the fortunes of the team, last year or this one, I like to know exactly how that could be achieved.

Fact is the list of players that would bring about a reasonable return are the players the team wants to keep.

The candidates for trade bait are Michalek, Neil, Greening, Legwand, Phillips, Smith and possible a few young guys in Bingo. These assets aren't going to bring the type of players this team needs to take the next step IMO.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Agreed in general.

PS
For those fans suggesting Murray should have made a significant move to change the fortunes of the team, last year or this one, I like to know exactly how that could be achieved.

I think it's the GM's job to figure that one out, i guess sitting on your hands and saying I donno, is how it should be done?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
PS

Sell at the dead line(trade Michalek and don't trade for Hemsky), don't sign Michalek, tell Phillips its a 1 year deal or he's retiring, and sign Da Costa.

Not a single significant trade but I think we'd better off with this happening instead.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ironically, being a strong scouting team makes it harder for Murray to make trades.

No one wants to be the next Arizona. The team that gives up on a good kid (Turris) and gets a dud prospect in return.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Ironically, being a strong scouting team makes it harder for Murray to make trades.

No one wants to be the next Arizona. The team that gives up on a good kid (Turris) and gets a dud prospect in return.

Wouldn't surprise me if this was true.

Like if NJ made Larsson available but started to doubt themselves because Murray was the first to inquire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad