Management Paul Fenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
For all we know, that interview may have been a part of why Yzerman quit.
That doesn't seem impossible. Not that it would have forced it out of nowhere, but if the plan was for Yzerman to eventually move on to Detroit (presumably) with BriseBois taking over in Tampa Bay, BriseBois getting serious interviews could have accelerated Tampa's timetables a little.

Reactions: 2Pair

P10p

May 15, 2012
Clever of Fenton to show Zucker that he is very expandable and if he wants to be here in his ideal situation with his wife and all then he will have to work for it.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
At this point, I am just hoping Fenton is good at picking young talent. Otherwise it is tough sledding.

But if he can pick some prospects, and he is loyal to his guys, we really cannot get burned in too many more trades after he dumps Zucker for 20 cents on the dollar. I am just looking at Zucker like we are going to lose him to free agency. After that, we will not have anybody else really to trade.:thumbu:

Reactions: DumbaTrain

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
At this point, I am just hoping Fenton is good at picking young talent. Otherwise it is tough sledding.

But if he can pick some prospects, and he is loyal to his guys, we really cannot get burned in too many more trades after he dumps Zucker for 20 cents on the dollar. I am just looking at Zucker like we are going to lose him to free agency. After that, we will not have anybody else really to trade.:thumbu:
I hope you’re right, though I could see him moving a defensmen if things go south next year.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Outside of Johansson, he did pick two risers in Dewar and Khovanov, who look like steals (they have absolutely dominated their leagues). He is 25th in the league in terms of points after battling with Hep A last year. Skating could use some work - but hell...Dewart is 11th in the WHL for points and 15th for goals, and he's played less games than all of them due to an injury. Both of those picks look really good. Damien Giroux is putting up some goals as well. I really, really like the draft outside of Johansson Fenton put together.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Outside of Johansson, he did pick two risers in Dewar and Khovanov, who look like steals (they have absolutely dominated their leagues). He is 25th in the league in terms of points after battling with Hep A last year. Skating could use some work - but hell...Dewart is 11th in the WHL for points and 15th for goals, and he's played less games than all of them due to an injury. Both of those picks look really good. Damien Giroux is putting up some goals as well. I really, really like the draft outside of Johansson Fenton put together.

If only he had the common sense to ask for picks when he makes trades.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Agreed I liked our draft outside of the first round. I don’t think I’ve ever liked our later picks as much as I liked last years. I don’t think Khovanov amounts to anything, but I’m optimistic about dewar.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Agreed I liked our draft outside of the first round. I don’t think I’ve ever liked our later picks as much as I liked last years. I don’t think Khovanov amounts to anything, but I’m optimistic about dewar.

Why don't you like Khovanov? I'm curious. Skating is an issue, but he's been a point producer.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Why don't you like Khovanov? I'm curious. Skating is an issue, but he's been a point producer.
I just don’t like his production in the Q this year. I would’ve wanted a better production spike this year, and the fact that he isn’t a top line player on a team in the Q is a little discouraging.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I just don’t like his production in the Q this year. I would’ve wanted a better production spike this year, and the fact that he isn’t a top line player on a team in the Q is a little discouraging.

Two guys ahead of him are a 19 year old and a future 1st round pick. For a 3rd rounder, I'm not bummed about it.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Two guys ahead of him are a 19 year old and a future 1st round pick. For a 3rd rounder, I'm not bummed about it.
Khovanov is 19 in a month.

It’s orobably not the biggest deal and I would love for him to be great. Time will tell

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
After emailing my ticket rep about the Granlund trade and my concerns about it being a 1 for 1 with us taking all the risk, I actually got a call from a rep in the Wild front office.

He agreed that it may have been a missed opportunity on getting more back, but also said that Fenton met with everyone after the deal to explain his mindset etc. Fenton is expecting more deals at the draft, and expects the Wild to be a real player come July 1st.

I mentioned my concern about the message sent to the rest of the league, taking so little in return for a proven asset, and he said that it's an understandable concern, but Fenton has a good crew around him that won't be taken advantage of... they're well aware of the tactics other GMs try.

That last part for sure will remain to be seen...

As for the July 1st stuff, that depends on who and how much.

Reactions: djgriff

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
After emailing my ticket rep about the Granlund trade and my concerns about it being a 1 for 1 with us taking all the risk, I actually got a call from a rep in the Wild front office.

He agreed that it may have been a missed opportunity on getting more back, but also said that Fenton met with everyone after the deal to explain his mindset etc. Fenton is expecting more deals at the draft, and expects the Wild to be a real player come July 1st.

I mentioned my concern about the message sent to the rest of the league, taking so little in return for a proven asset, and he said that it's an understandable concern, but Fenton has a good crew around him that won't be taken advantage of... they're well aware of the tactics other GMs try.

That last part for sure will remain to be seen...

As for the July 1st stuff, that depends on who and how much.
"Okay ticket reps, these are the updated STH Deescalation Quick Guides. Remember to check both the front and back and keep them by your phones at all times."

Reactions: Victorious Secret

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'd prefer that the focus be on June 21st and not so much on July 1st.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Fenton is expecting more deals at the draft, and expects the Wild to be a real player come July 1st.

Accumulate a bunch of young guys who haven't proven anything at the NHL level, hope they reach their absolute potential, and then overpay UFA's to surround them with?

Where have I seen this before...

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Accumulate a bunch of young guys who haven't proven anything at the NHL level, hope they reach their absolute potential, and then overpay UFA's to surround them with?

Where have I seen this before...
every team in the NHL?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
every team in the NHL?

Specifically, this is exactly what Fletcher did 7 years ago.

It works when you actually have the talented young players to do it. Not so much when you’re relying on guys to reach their ceilings in order for it to succeed.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad