Management Paul Fenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Specifically, this is exactly what Fletcher did 7 years ago.

It works when you actually have the talented young players to do it. Not so much when you’re relying on guys to reach their ceilings in order for it to succeed.
This is exactly what every team in the league does. The teams that are better and/or luckier at it, win.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is exactly what every team in the league does. The teams that are better and/or luckier at it, win.

Not to the extent that this team is apparently going to. Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, and now Tampa, Calgary and Winnipeg are all built primarily through the draft with free agents supplementing the cores they built organically. For the last 7 years the Wild have been a team that was built through free agency and trades and supplemented with the draft. Now Fenton plans to double down by signing overpaying for more UFAs (when we still have the first two).

I have no issue with dipping into free agency to fill holes, but if the plan is to pay Duchene 9.5M and hope he’s the answer, then I do have issues. You don’t build your core through free agency. It’s how you become a cap team that can’t win a round in the playoffs.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I hate this UFA class. Someone is going to way overpay Duchene and I pray it's not the Wild.

Fenton should be focused on trading up in the first round to grab one of the top centers.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Not to the extent that this team is apparently going to. Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, and now Tampa, Calgary and Winnipeg are all built primarily through the draft with free agents supplementing the cores they built organically. For the last 7 years the Wild have been a team that was built through free agency and trades and supplemented with the draft. Now Fenton plans to double down by signing overpaying for more UFAs (when we still have the first two).

I have no issue with dipping into free agency to fill holes, but if the plan is to pay Duchene 9.5M and hope he’s the answer, then I do have issues. You don’t build your core through free agency. It’s how you become a cap team that can’t win a round in the playoffs.
Trading for unproven young kids isn't much different than building through the draft. If this current plan works out, it will be built mostly on the same ideas. Dumba, Spurgeon, Brodin, Seeler, Zucker, Koivu, Greenway, Kunin, Donato, Ek, and then guys like Kahkonen, Kaprizov, Belpedio, Johansson will all be guys that were either drafted by the Wild or developed from an early age. That's not as easy as getting a couple of first overalls, but it can work.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I hate this UFA class. Someone is going to way overpay Duchene and I pray it's not the Wild.

Fenton should be focused on trading up in the first round to grab one of the top centers.

Agreed, but it depends on where we land and how much it costs.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Fenton should be focused on making the team better in any way he possibly can.

Just out of curiousity, which center should Fenton be going after? And, how high in the draft does he need to get to grab him?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Fenton should be focused on making the team better in any way he possibly can.

Just out of curiousity, which center should Fenton be going after? And, how high in the draft does he need to get to grab him?

Either Cozens or Dach between picks 5-8, ideally. Legras or Turcotte would be ok as well.

Reactions: DemidovSaveUs

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Either Cozens or Dach between picks 5-8, ideally. Legras or Turcotte would be ok as well.
Agreed. I think we could get there with our mid-first and Zucker if we take back some salary. I think that pick could go a long way.

Alternatively, we go try to go after Nylander, who despite a slow start is playing well at center.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Agreed. I think we could get there with our mid-first and Zucker if we take back some salary. I think that pick could go a long way.

Alternatively, we go try to go after Nylander, who despite a slow start is playing well at center.
you watched his games at C? iv read leaf fans say he can do it but that doesnt say a lot. is he strong on faceoffs and good in the d zone?

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota

Yeah. I want no part of Duchene. Unless it's a crazy reasonable deal. And I mean crazy!

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yeah. I want no part of Duchene. Unless it's a crazy reasonable deal. And I mean crazy!

I think the only "crazy reasonable deal" I ever saw on UFA signing day is when we signed Staal. My bet is that Duchene will receive something in between $9-$10 million/season AAV, which is completely ridiculous for a guy who's only topped the 70 point mark once in his career.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think the only "crazy reasonable deal" I ever saw on UFA signing day is when we signed Staal. My bet is that Duchene will receive something in between $9-$10 million/season AAV, which is completely ridiculous for a guy who's only topped the 70 point mark once in his career.
When we signed Rolston years ago.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Funny thing is both the Rolston and Staal deals looked like we actually were slightly overpaying them at the time, based on the season they'd just had prior to signing the deals. Both players bounced back in big ways. So... we sign Duchene and he has a 100 point season, right?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Funny thing is both the Rolston and Staal deals looked like we actually were slightly overpaying them at the time, based on the season they'd just had prior to signing the deals. Both players bounced back in big ways. So... we sign Duchene and he has a 100 point season, right?
Rolston was only two points shy of 50pts before coming here. How was $3m not reasonable?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Salary cap was $39 million. Equivalent to a $6.1 million deal today.
Yes, but there were some egregious comparables back then too that gave players more negotiating power.

Lapointe was making more than $4mil in those days in Detroit.

It caused a serious drop in bottom 6 salaries, but top 6 salaries stayed high until the cap adjustment took hold... since the cap was new (Rolston was actually signed prior to the lockout though, so the cap wasn't even in effect until after the lockout)

Thus Roloson still wasn't overpaid.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yes, but there were some egregious comparables back then too that gave players more negotiating power.

Lapointe was making more than $4mil in those days in Detroit.

It caused a serious drop in bottom 6 salaries, but top 6 salaries stayed high until the cap adjustment took hold... since the cap was new (Rolston was actually signed prior to the lockout though, so the cap wasn't even in effect until after the lockout)

Thus Roloson still wasn't overpaid.

You saying that there are no egregious comparable now?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You saying that there are no egregious comparable now?
I'm saying there were some extreme ones then that precipitated the need for a cap.

Rolston signed before there was a cap for a very reasonable number compared to other players of equal or lesser caliber.

Even after the lockout, when the cap was put in place, players of his caliber were getting $4-5m/yr.

We always had him at a discount. He was never considered overpaid.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Too bad that Granlund didn't play tonight. Would've been cool to compare the two guys

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Too bad that Granlund didn't play tonight. Would've been cool to compare the two guys
Literally don't remember hearing his name other than the OT penalty. But I missed the first half of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->