Confirmed with Link: Paul Fenton to be named GM of Minnesota Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
That was Flahr. Fenton was hardly here in regards to the first pick.. he stood up there with them and the jersey, but that pick was all Flahr and his scouting staff.
NO CHANCE...... Fenton let Flahr make that pick

That pick has Fenton written all over it

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
That was Flahr. Fenton was hardly here in regards to the first pick.. he stood up there with them and the jersey, but that pick was all Flahr and his scouting staff.
Sorry, but Fenton does not get a pass from me. The scouting staff made the recommendation but the GM gives the approval. He is overall responsible for the team's direction. If he deligated this responsibility we are worse off than I thought in the long run. It's not like he came from the khl with no knowledge of the Wild, their warts, or players available in the draft.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Sorry, but Fenton does not get a pass from me. The scouting staff made the recommendation but the GM gives the approval. He is overall responsible for the team's direction. If he deligated this responsibility we are worse off than I thought in the long run. It's not like he came from the khl with no knowledge of the Wild, their warts, or players available in the draft.
I never said to give him a pass. I am just saying what Russo talked about leading up to and after the draft. That he had very little influence on the direction that staff was going for the draft. Which was still his choice to put it in their hands coming into it that late in the game. I agree he should have hit the deny button real quick but at the same time who knows what kind of direction he was under from Leipold with Flahr being in the running for GM maybe there was some incentive to give him some control so he wouldn't leave.. which he ended up doing anyway (thankfully)

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
That's just not how it works. You don't pay guys to scout, solicit their input, have multiple long and passionate meetings establishing a draft list, and then the new guy just comes in - with very little knowledge of the system and its needs, regardless what he thinks he knows about the NHL club - and just say, hey, I watched the World Juniors in December and I say this guy is better than the guy your staff reached a consensus on.

Fenton listened to Brent Flahr who has run NHL drafts since 2010 and was persuaded by his recommendation. That is how being an NHL GM works. Obviously, it will work differently for the Wild at the 2019 Draft.

It's fine to blame Fenton for the pick - he had the authority to overrule it. But he did not have the institutional knowledge.

For about the 500th time: the Wild's list had Filip Johansson above some of the other players. They made the pick. He's a teenager playing pro hockey and struggling on a poor team and none of you know what he will be in two years, at which time we can have informed debates about the propriety of the pick.

Flahr made good picks and some rather bad ones, but Fenton had every right to listen to his informed opinion. And arguing otherwise demonstrates ignorance.

Reactions: Rabid Husky

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
Still not buying it. He came from a team within the division from an assistant gm position. I'm sure he knew the team and the needs before signing up, along with players available. Never said he shouldn't listen to his staff, doesn't mean they get a rubber stamp either. I believe that like most of us here when the pick came up he gets to (should have) said WTF is with that? I'm still waiting for anything coming from the GM that provides hope for the future. One lunch in Russia isn't enough for me.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Still not buying it. He came from a team within the division from an assistant gm position. I'm sure he knew the team and the needs before signing up, along with players available. Never said he shouldn't listen to his staff, doesn't mean they get a rubber stamp either. I believe that like most of us here when the pick came up he gets to (should have) said WTF is with that? I'm still waiting for anything coming from the GM that provides hope for the future. One lunch in Russia isn't enough for me.

No, it's not enough. But he had Suter's health to think of. Then he had a team that was playing well. And now he has a devastating injury and a team that just went from a likely playoff berth to somewhat unlikely, from possible buyers to probable sellers. So he'll take the time he needs to assess up to the deadline and see what the market is. Two firsts would be an important step. Fleecing someone for a bona fide prospect would be awesome. Add that to what seems to be a pretty promising 2018 class, despite what some say about Filip Johansson, and he's off to an ok start. He's not a gunslinger, like say Peter Chiarelli. And I think Wild fans should be thankful for that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
BS, Fenton is the GM. He can say no to any pick at any time. He has the final say on all player personnel decisions. He does NOT get a pass on this.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
BS, Fenton is the GM. He can say no to any pick at any time. He has the final say on all player personnel decisions. He does NOT get a pass on this.
No one is saying he should be given a pass but if you think he was absolutely going to red light the current scouting staff when on the job less than a month, I don't get why that's such an outlandish idea? Should he have? Yes he absolutely should have.. but to come into the organization you do not know what type of agreement he and Leipold had in regards to that, why would he not trust what was in place and reward the scouting team that was out there? From what I had heard it was a panic pick because they wanted K'Andre Miller and then when he was gone they reached. I agree he doesn't get a pass and it was a terrible pick, I denounced it up and down the day it happened but at the same time the draft to judge him on is the upcoming one with all his guys and pieces in place.

Reactions: Rabid Husky

Wabit

May 23, 2016
No one is saying he should be given a pass but if you think he was absolutely going to red light the current scouting staff when on the job less than a month, I don't get why that's such an outlandish idea? Should he have? Yes he absolutely should have.. but to come into the organization you do not know what type of agreement he and Leipold had in regards to that, why would he not trust what was in place and reward the scouting team that was out there? From what I had heard it was a panic pick because they wanted K'Andre Miller and then when he was gone they reached. I agree he doesn't get a pass and it was a terrible pick, I denounced it up and down the day it happened but at the same time the draft to judge him on is the upcoming one with all his guys and pieces in place.

Umm, have you heard that from anyone but me? It's just an opinion/thought I've shared, it's not based on anything other than a gut feeling.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
We can only judge him on decisions he makes.

He ran the amateur scouting in Nashville. He was not "uninformed" on this past draft class. The scouting department is essentially identical for the upcoming draft as this past one, so not sure why that one will be any more valid.

The job he has done since coming here has left a LOT to be desired... period.

Am I going to fire him based on that draft? No. You have to give a GM time, but right now he has a rather poor record he's building.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
The man was hired 6 months ago LMFAO
One thing I will commend Paul for is his patience. The team started off lackluster, as many expected -- then went on a superb hot streak to lead the entire conference then we came back down to a fringe playoff team. That perfectly encapsulates the MN Wild. We are in a constant conundrum. You can even see it with our polls on here on what our direction should be. Its the same with with our player's performance... like Coyle.. slow start to all of a sudden playing great hockey at Center.

This is all in addition to Craig Leopold NOT wanting to take a step back. He made that abundantly clear when he announced the GM changes. As for the draft pick.. we may not know who's call it was at the end of the day -- Regardless, Flahr is out not. Its WAYYY too early to demand Paul get fired for something so grey and foggy.

I expect for Paul to make some changes/get a better picture of what he envisions for the team as the deadline approaches and this coming summer.

With players like Parise, Suter, Dubnyk on the roster.. its hard to justify a total rebuild with those core pillars locked in for the coming years. Dumba, Granlund, Greenway, Zucker, Spurgeon... and even Brodin are all great pieces. It's hard to get those big impact trades going without giving up those assets.

Idk.. we're stuck. And something has to happen. Staal, Nino, Brodin, Coyle are our biggest chips to trade. We're not getting a crazy return for them. Then guess what happens... the fan base will get mad it's not a ... idk.... Nylander.

We cant give up picks tho.. as time goes by... we need to build thru the draft. The biggest trade I can think of is Staal going for a 1st. Thats it. If he traded Granlund, MN would have his head and that might go for Zucker too...

PS: I wish we could ship out Mikko for a 1st -- he's never going to leave :(

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's just not how it works. You don't pay guys to scout, solicit their input, have multiple long and passionate meetings establishing a draft list, and then the new guy just comes in - with very little knowledge of the system and its needs, regardless what he thinks he knows about the NHL club - and just say, hey, I watched the World Juniors in December and I say this guy is better than the guy your staff reached a consensus on.

Fenton listened to Brent Flahr who has run NHL drafts since 2010 and was persuaded by his recommendation. That is how being an NHL GM works. Obviously, it will work differently for the Wild at the 2019 Draft.

It's fine to blame Fenton for the pick - he had the authority to overrule it. But he did not have the institutional knowledge.

For about the 500th time: the Wild's list had Filip Johansson above some of the other players. They made the pick. He's a teenager playing pro hockey and struggling on a poor team and none of you know what he will be in two years, at which time we can have informed debates about the propriety of the pick.

Flahr made good picks and some rather bad ones, but Fenton had every right to listen to his informed opinion. And arguing otherwise demonstrates ignorance.
You do know what Fenton did for 20 years before coming to Minnesota? Right?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's an insanely dumb take. Teams don't "panic" 20 picks into a draft.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
We can only judge him on decisions he makes.

He ran the amateur scouting in Nashville. He was not "uninformed" on this past draft class. The scouting department is essentially identical for the upcoming draft as this past one, so not sure why that one will be any more valid.

The job he has done since coming here has left a LOT to be desired... period.

Am I going to fire him based on that draft? No. You have to give a GM time, but right now he has a rather poor record he's building.
I actually was fine with the 2018 draft once you got past F JO.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
More than the fans on this board acting like armchair GM's on a daily basis.
The overreacting here has become disgusting.

Meh, we all have our names on the Cup as many times as Fenton does. He just gets paid for not winning it all, and we pay to watch not winning it all. He's done nothing as a NHL GM to deserve anymore respect than any random fan.

A **** 1st round pick, buyout Ennis, signing some meh UFAs, giving Zucker too many years (and a partial NTC), and make a trash first trade. Oh and he brought in "his" coach who is a #$%$%^$%^#@$%$^%$^ moron on the PP.

My patience for this guy is gone.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Meh, we all have our names on the Cup as many times as Fenton does. He just gets paid for not winning it all, and we pay to watch not winning it all. He's done nothing as a NHL GM to deserve anymore respect than any random fan.

A **** 1st round pick, buyout Ennis, signing some meh UFAs, giving Zucker too many years (and a partial NTC), and make a trash first trade. Oh and he brought in "his" coach who is a #$%$%^$%^#@$%$^%$^ moron on the PP.

If it took less than a year... Nothing he could have done would have mattered to your patience.
He was never going to blow it up because that's not what the owner wants. Every media outlet has said the 1st round pick was Flahr but that doesn't fit the narrative so it's dismissed. He was never going to make trades for the sake of trades nor was he going to sign big names in free agency without fully assessing the roster himself... Up close not just what he had seen from Nashville.
He hasn't done what you want... And he never was going to this early. Live with it or move on.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If it took less than a year... Nothing he could have done would have mattered to your patience.
He was never going to blow it up because that's not what the owner wants. Every media outlet has said the 1st round pick was Flahr but that doesn't fit the narrative so it's dismissed. He was never going to make trades for the sake of trades nor was he going to sign big names in free agency without fully assessing the roster himself... Up close not just what he had seen from Nashville.
He hasn't done what you want... And he never was going to this early. Live with it or move on.

He's done nothing. What's the use of having him over GMCF? There has been no shakeup, no move to make this team better. No moves in general.

Make a package around Zucker and JEE and the wasted 1st from this year and get ROR from BUF. Hell that Domi trade he turned down isn't looking bad right now.

If he truly did punt on his first draft pick ever as a GM then it's worse than picking a bust. His background in with the Preds was as their draft guy and until the postseason started was involved in all of their scout meetings.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Like this team has ever been good on the PP? They don't have the players to make it successful. It's clear that's the biggest issue.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Like this team has ever been good on the PP? They don't have the players to make it successful. It's clear that's the biggest issue.

They have the players, just a trash setup for the players they have. The umbrella setup is the most effective when there is quick puck movement. If the puck isn't moved quickly it's easy to defend against. Suter, Koivu, and Granny aren't fast puck movers on the PP so it fails.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
He's done nothing. What's the use of having him over GMCF? There has been no shakeup, no move to make this team better. No moves in general.

Make a package around Zucker and JEE and the wasted 1st from this year and get ROR from BUF. Hell that Domi trade he turned down isn't looking bad right now.

If he truly did punt on his first draft pick ever as a GM then it's worse than picking a bust. His background in with the Preds was as their draft guy and until the postseason started was involved in all of their scout meetings.
Again... He isn't going to make a trade just to make one... And from all accounts every offer he got in the summer was a massive low ball. He makes those... You're crucifying him here guaranteed. He'll put his stamp on the team in due time.
Again on the draft... Yes all reports say he did defer to Flahr as Flahr ran the drafts here and he knew that. For a first draft... Even if he has the background in it in Nashville... Is not a bad strategy since he isn't jettisoning the entire scouting staff at once. Yes he is in charge but there is still office politics at work and it's not a good idea to piss off your entire staff right away.
Blasting the draft six months after it happened is overreacting as is your entire assessment of him so far.
So like I said... Buckle in and enjoy the ride or honestly... Step off and find something else to occupy your time if this has you so pissed off.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
They have the players, just a trash setup for the players they have. The umbrella setup is the most effective when there is quick puck movement. If the puck isn't moved quickly it's easy to defend against. Suter, Koivu, and Granny aren't fast puck movers on the PP so it fails.
Our players have always been terrible at moving the puck quickly. Add in the fact they have no shooters and it's just a recipe for failure.

The funny thing is that coming into tonight they had the 9th ranked PP. Not defending it at all, because it's been being help up by like two good games.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I wouldn't say Fenton has done nothing. His UFA signings over the summer were small, but effective. They're the sorts of cheap, effective depth signings that Fletcher struggled with. He extended Zucker, Dumba and Seeler. I'll withhold judgement on his 2018 draft for another year, including on guys like Khovanov and Dewar that currently excite me.

The lack of a trade is disappointing, but I'm inclined to believe reports that he was getting lowballed over the summer on guys like Zucker, Nino and Coyle. The fact that he hasn't made a bad trade is cause for some optimism, thin as it is.

His mettle is going to be tested with the Wild slip-sliding away from a playoff spot, though.

Reactions: FVM

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
My biggest issue isn't the roster, but the personal decisions. We know that Fletcher extended a bunch of guys, but Fenton still made moves to bring in a guy that he apparently liked in Tom Kurvers. This means that we now have three Assistant GMs in Andrew Brunette, Shep Harder and Tom Kurvers (or did Brunette step down?). I'd like him to start bringing in different scouts and hire someone to replace Guy Lapointe and Ricard Persson. Get better player development in and start getting a different identity for the team. Since Lemaire, we've been seen as a defensive first team and that hasn't changed since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad