Confirmed with Link: Paul Fenton to be named GM of Minnesota Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
while stability hasn't done much for the wild , i maintain IF gmcf had stayed the course and not traded away so many draft picks we could be a top 5 team right now. IF our draft team / scouts weren't good enough get new ones. imaging this team with zhadorov on the blue line , w/ leddy or the one or 2- 1sts we could have traded him for. IF DR didnt F this team by letting gabby ; demitra & rolston walk for nothing! it boils my blood to think about where we could be. lets hope fenton doesnt make those same mistakes. im still unhappy with our 2018-1st pick.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Yeah, keeping it between the lines isn't really sufficient, but I do think it's important. There's probably no avoiding the need for luck, whether it's via the lottery or a favorable trade or a sleeper prospect that takes off or just everything clicking at the right time. The point of keeping things stable, in my mind, is to make sure you can leverage those lucky opportunities when they arise.

To a degree I think that's what Fletcher tried to do with his bigger deadline moves, but the bets never paid out the way we needed. Free-agency and the trade deadline seem like poor places to "make your own luck" because the prices are so high. There are exceptions (like Staal), but the winning moves usually don't look like anything special when they happen.

I think Fenton shifting focus to drafting, development and trades is what this team needs for the next few years.

In 2020, there might be no Koivu, no Granlund, no Staal, no Coyle, no Spurgeon.

But maybe Kaprizov, Greenway, JEE, Kunin, Sokolov..?

And still over 70 million dollars owed to 35 year olds Zach Parise and Ryan Suter.

Not sure what you do with that.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
while stability hasn't done much for the wild , i maintain IF gmcf had stayed the course and not traded away so many draft picks we could be a top 5 team right now. IF our draft team / scouts weren't good enough get new ones. imaging this team with zhadorov on the blue line , w/ leddy or the one or 2- 1sts we could have traded him for. IF DR didnt F this team by letting gabby ; demitra & rolston walk for nothing! it boils my blood to think about where we could be. lets hope fenton doesnt make those same mistakes. im still unhappy with our 2018-1st pick.

The kid could easily be the best player available there. But the Wild definitely suffered from missing on a 1st and 2nd in 2011, no 2013 1st, lost 2014 1st, 2015 1st looks like a good player not necessarily an offensive impact player, 2016 1st solid player probably not offensive impact player, no 2017 1st, 2018 1st likely solid not impact. So in 7 seasons you end up with Dumba, Kaprizov (maybe he comes) and Sokolov (longshot to make the NHL) as guys who might be top ten scorers at their position. It's not nearly enough. And people talk about trading Dumba!!!

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
In 2020, there might be no Koivu, no Granlund, no Staal, no Coyle, no Spurgeon.

But maybe Kaprizov, Greenway, JEE, Kunin, Sokolov..?

And still over 70 million dollars owed to 35 year olds Zach Parise and Ryan Suter.

Not sure what you do with that.
Hard to say, especially with a new CBA on the horizon somewhere.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
I don't think Fenton is gonna be the spendthrift with picks that Fletcher was - hope so anyway.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ennis was pre-buyout $4.6m. 74 games, 8g/14a (22p), -1 last season. Ennis buyout $2.17m and $1.2m.

He was replaced with:
Fehr ($1m): 18 games, 3g/1a (4p), +6
Brown ($688k): 47 games, 2g/5a (7p), -5
Hendricks ($700k): 60 games, 5g/8a (13p), -1
Total of: (~$2.4m) 125 games, 10g/14a (24p), 0

Pro-rate Ennis (last season) to 125 games and he would be at 13.5g/23.6a (37.1p), -2.

So buyout Ennis only to replace him with 3 players; that didn't even match his point totals combined; for the same overall cap hit? I know there is more to hockey than just points and +/-, but dangit points sure are nice have.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Ennis was pre-buyout $4.6m. 74 games, 8g/14a (22p), -1 last season. Ennis buyout $2.17m and $1.2m.

He was replaced with:

Pro-rate Ennis (last season) to 125 games and he would be at 13.5g/23.6a (37.1p), -2.

So buyout Ennis only to replace him with 3 players; that didn't even match his point totals combined; for the same overall cap hit? I know there is more to hockey than just points and +/-, but dangit points sure are nice have.
This seems like a strange way to do the math. Why not just look at points per game or points per 82 games?

Fehr: 4 pts in 18 games = .22 ppg = 18.2 pts/82
Brown: 7 pts in 42 games = 0.14 ppg = 12.2 pts/82
Hendricks: 13 pts in 60 games = 0.22 ppg = 17.8 pts/82

Ennis: 22 pts in 73 games = 0.30 ppg = 24.7 pts/82

I'm willing to bet that none of the new guys got chances in the top-6 the way Ennis did last year either.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

He was replaced with:

Now run the numbers for Ennis without PP time and without being used up in the lineup with guys like Coyle, Nino, Zucker, and Staal.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I haven't watched much of Fehr/Brown/Hendricks in recent years, but I can't imagine they are collectively nearly as ineffective as Ennis at every part of the game minus picking up some points. At least all three of them had some time on the PK last season.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I haven't watched much of Fehr/Brown/Hendricks in recent years, but I can't imagine they are collectively nearly as ineffective as Ennis at every part of the game minus picking up some points. At least all three of them had some time on the PK last season.
I think Brown and Ennis are somewhat similar in effectiveness. The biggest difference being that Brown is willing to run into things while he skates around aimlessly.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This seems like a strange way to do the math. Why not just look at points per game or points per 82 games?

Fehr: 4 pts in 18 games = .22 ppg = 18.2 pts/82
Brown: 7 pts in 42 games = 0.14 ppg = 12.2 pts/82
Hendricks: 13 pts in 60 games = 0.22 ppg = 17.8 pts/82

Ennis: 22 pts in 73 games = 0.30 ppg = 24.7 pts/82

I'm willing to bet that none of the new guys got chances in the top-6 the way Ennis did last year either.

Cause I didn't want to look up many stats. :ha: P/60, P/G, corsi, whatever. For instance combined the 3 played 934 mins (1.5 p/60), Ennis played 874 mins (1.5 p/60).

Ennis was better off in the bottom-6 for scoring, in top-6 he was outskilled/outmatched. 14 of his points were with Coyle, Cullen, JEE, Foligno, or Stewie; 3p with Staal; 2 PPP; the rest were from d-men so I'm not sure what line he was on.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Tyler Ennis 2017-18 Scoring Log | Hockey-Reference.com

For his scoring logs. I can't insert the table, but it's with bottom-6 he did most of his scoring. Coyle was a bottom-6 player most of last year.

Even Strength Line Combinations
Even Strength Line Production (19)

None of the guys you're comparing Ennis to, got to play with that kind of talent. When you look at those line combos, he was even worse than any of us thought.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
None of the guys you're comparing Ennis to, got to play with that kind of talent. When you look at those line combos, he was even worse than any of us thought.

Ennis was useless in the top-6 with the better players, and more effective with worse the bottom-6 players. Pretty much what I said. But okay I'll play.

You're putting together 3 players on the 4th line that equal or better (throwing a bone here) to Ennis, yet none of them are as good as Foligno (who you'd personally help pack his stuff and drive him to the airport if he was traded).

This is a good roster move because why?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Ennis was useless in the top-6 with the better players, and more effective with worse the bottom-6 players. Pretty much what I said. But okay I'll play.

You're putting together 3 players on the 4th line that equal or better (throwing a bone here) to Ennis, yet none of them are as good as Foligno (who you'd personally help pack his stuff and drive him to the airport if he was traded).

This is a good roster move because why?
Ennis scored 8 points all season when he wasn't playing with at least one of Coyle, Staal, Niderreiter, Zucker. Ennis brings zero to the table if he isn't scoring points. Terrible defensively, terrible on the PP, Can't kill penalties, can't play a shutdown role, can't win faceoffs. If any of the 3 guys you keep comparing him to, are asked to play a top 9 role and do nothing else, then the comparisons might make the slightest bit of sense. Until then, you're wasting time.

Reactions: Rabid Husky

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ennis scored 8 points all season when he wasn't playing with at least one of Coyle, Staal, Niderreiter, Zucker. Ennis brings zero to the table if he isn't scoring points. Terrible defensively, terrible on the PP, Can't kill penalties, can't play a shutdown role, can't win faceoffs. If any of the 3 guys you keep comparing him to, are asked to play a top 9 role and do nothing else, then the comparisons might make the slightest bit of sense. Until then, you're wasting time.

I'm comparing a 4th liner in Ennis to 4th liners in Brown, Fehr, Hendricks. Move them up to Staal's line and i highly doubt there would much of a positive change from Ennis' stats there.

Henrdicks played with Perrault and Armia, that's at least equivalent to Coyle/Cullen. He only had 5 Playoff games too.
Fehr is a 13th FWD, locker room guy. Was also a healthy scratch most of the season.
Brown was a waiver claim/13th FWD, healthy scratch half of the season.

All of them are a step down from Cullen/Winnik, as was Ennis. None of them can play up in the lineup anymore than Ennis could. None of them should be on the PP. Maybe Hendricks get PK time, but I think it's going to be Koivu/Granny and JEE/Coyle? as the main PK units this season.

I like physical hockey, so Foligno/Hendricks/Brown could be a physical no offense 4th line for 10 mins a night I guess? They better be a great shutdown line though to make up for the total lack of offense.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm comparing a 4th liner in Ennis to 4th liners in Brown, Fehr, Hendricks. Move them up to Staal's line and i highly doubt there would much of a positive change from Ennis' stats there.

Henrdicks played with Perrault and Armia, that's at least equivalent to Coyle/Cullen. He only had 5 Playoff games too.
Fehr is a 13th FWD, locker room guy. Was also a healthy scratch most of the season.
Brown was a waiver claim/13th FWD, healthy scratch half of the season.

All of them are a step down from Cullen/Winnik, as was Ennis. None of them can play up in the lineup anymore than Ennis could. None of them should be on the PP. Maybe Hendricks get PK time, but I think it's going to be Koivu/Granny and JEE/Coyle? as the main PK units this season.

I like physical hockey, so Foligno/Hendricks/Brown could be a physical no offense 4th line for 10 mins a night I guess? They better be a great shutdown line though to make up for the total lack of offense.
No, you're comparing the scoring stats of a guy who spent as much time on the 2nd line as he did on the 4th, to the scoring stats of 3 guys who played on the 4th line. If you really want to break down 4th liners, show me the Pk stats, hits, blocks, TOI.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Regardless of what each may bring individually...I'd rather have 3 guys that cost what Ennis did than Ennis as it opens options.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
No, you're comparing the scoring stats of a guy who spent as much time on the 2nd line as he did on the 4th, to the scoring stats of 3 guys who played on the 4th line. If you really want to break down 4th liners, show me the Pk stats, hits, blocks, TOI.

Well Ennis had none, Brown had 10 mins, and Fehr had 27 mins of PK time; so meh on all of them. Hendricks had 119 mins, maybe he plays PK maybe he doesn't.

Hits Ennis 51, Brown 71, Hendricks 123, Fehr 24.

Blocks Ennis 33, Brown 23, Hendricks 42, Fehr 14.

They are all trash players, just instead of 1 $4.6m bag of trash we now have 4 bags of trash that equal $4.6m. Not even counting the $1.2m in Ennis trash overflow next season.

Ennis' time in the top-6 didn't do much to really pad his stats, if anything it hurt his /60 stats.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If the Wild don't get a win before New Years, then it looks like Fenton will be facing his first major crisis as GM.

Funny thing is that I don't think they are playing that badly(with the odd exception) overall, but that doesn't mean much when you are out of a playoff spot and losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad