Confirmed with Link: Paul Fenton to be named GM of Minnesota Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Ok, then paying roughly $3M for Greenway compared to $4.6M for Ennis is even more moronic to discuss. Is that better?

Again... Even better... 4.5 million in the press box.
[mod]

Ennis buyout + warm body in the pressbox costs 3M for the Wild this season. Ennis as the warm body would've cost 4.6M. So they are saving 1.6M this season, to take a penalty of 1.2M next season.

Since they currently have 1.8M cap space, it's fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain that the buyout was dumb and that they took the 1.2M penalty next season for no reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
You think it's just Ennis?
One more time... FOUR players for what Ennis cost.
You have to account for 2 more forwards and a d-man.
That's why he was bought out because he was untradeable.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
You think it's just Ennis?
One more time... FOUR players for what Ennis cost.
You have to account for 2 more forwards and a d-man.
That's why he was bought out because he was untradeable.
What are you even blabbering about? What part of the last post you don't understand?

Wild save 1.6M this season and lose 1.2M next season because of the buyout. That's 400k total savings. That's literally half a player. Not 4 players. Since they have the cap space this year, they should've taken the hit this year instead of next when they might not have the space.

This really shouldn't be that difficult.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What are you even blabbering about? What part of the last post you don't understand?

Wild save 1.6M this season and lose 1.2M next season because of the buyout. That's 400k total savings. That's literally half a player. Not 4 players. Since they have the cap space this year, they should've taken the hit this year instead of next when they might not have the space.

Now explain how any of these things are a bad idea-
Getting a better player than Ennis on your roster
Saving actual cap dollars
Spreading bad cap money over 2 years

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

Dude... Its not that difficult.
The four guys we signed this offseason are making what Ennis did here. With Ennis here... None of them are likely signed and we still need players to fill spots... AND you want Ennis in the press box so that means having another body in the roster.
So 4 guys... Plus Ennis at his salary. How's that work in your math?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Now explain how any of these things are a bad idea-
Getting a better player than Ennis on your roster
Saving actual cap dollars
Spreading bad cap money over 2 years
Lol. For the umpteenth time, they save 1.6M this season only to lose 1.2M next season. Spreading bad money over 2 years is TERRIBLE if you have the ability to eat all of the bad money in year one, which the Wild had (1.8M cap space currently). They might not have that ability next year, that penalty might hinder them to make moves next summer.

And by the way, Hendricks is a way worse player than Ennis. He should be retired and BB should be charged with elder abuse every time he plays him (half kidding, but really, he shouldn't be playing pro hockey anymore).

The four guys we signed this offseason are making what Ennis did here. With Ennis here... None of them are likely signed and we still need players to fill spots... AND you want Ennis in the press box so that means having another body in the roster.
Clearly I'm talking to a wall here so you just... do you.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think vmo has a valid argument for everything except having a better player on the roster and the need for cap space. Think about it. We have $1.84m in cap space with a full roster. Ennis' cap hit was $4.6m. $2.17m is the current dead cap. $2.17m+$1.84m = $4.01m. Then one would have to subtract one player, presumably Hendricks, to make room for him on the roster. That would bring the available total to $4.71m, just enough to fit Ennis' cap hit. The issue then becomes you have $0.11m in cap space. No room for any sort of trade and that could be a huge factor around the trade deadline.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think vmo has a valid argument for everything except having a better player on the roster and the need for cap space. Think about it. We have $1.84m in cap space with a full roster. Ennis' cap hit was $4.6m. $2.17m is the current dead cap. $2.17m+$1.84m = $4.01m. Then one would have to subtract one player, presumably Hendricks, to make room for him on the roster. That would bring the available total to $4.71m, just enough to fit Ennis' cap hit. The issue then becomes you have $0.11m in cap space. No room for any sort of trade and that could be a huge factor around the trade deadline.
Those numbers aren't even close to fitting under the cap though. You have to be able to account for any kind of injury call up.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Lol. For the umpteenth time, they save 1.6M this season only to lose 1.2M next season. Spreading bad money over 2 years is TERRIBLE if you have the ability to eat all of the bad money in year one, which the Wild had (1.8M cap space currently). They might not have that ability next year, that penalty might hinder them to make moves next summer.

And by the way, Hendricks is a way worse player than Ennis. He should be retired and BB should be charged with elder abuse every time he plays him (half kidding, but really, he shouldn't be playing pro hockey anymore).

Clearly I'm talking to a wall here so you just... do you.
Oy vey...

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Dude... Its not that difficult.

Today's cap: $77.93m or $75.77m (without Ennis dead money)
- Ennis at full price would be a $80.37m cap hit. $870k over the cap and 1 player over the roster limit. Sending Ennis to the AHL would open up $1m in cap space. They would be cap tight, but still under the cap by ~$100k. JEE, Greenway, or Kunin to the AHL also works.
- go back to the 22 man roster they've been using most of the year. Send one of the waivers exempt players down and they are sitting at ~$1m in cap space.

I have no clue why you're insisting that Ennis has to be in the pressbox and not in Iowa.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Today's cap: $77.93m or $75.77m (without Ennis dead money)
- Ennis at full price would be a $80.37m cap hit. $870k over the cap and 1 player over the roster limit. Sending Ennis to the AHL would open up $1m in cap space. They would be cap tight, but still under the cap by ~$100k. JEE, Greenway, or Kunin to the AHL also works.
- go back to the 22 man roster they've been using most of the year. Send one of the waivers exempt players down and they are sitting at ~$1m in cap space.

I have no clue why you're insisting that Ennis has to be in the pressbox and not in Iowa.
Im not insisting it.. vmo is. I'm saying sending Ennis to Iowa wasn't an option for the team as that buries more cap for this year than buying him out does. So it was keep him (which they did not want) or buy him out.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Im not insisting it.. vmo is. I'm saying sending Ennis to Iowa wasn't an option for the team as that buries more cap for this year than buying him out does. So it was keep him (which they did not want) or buy him out.

Why isn't it an option? Buried cap or dead buyout cap, the hit is the same just 1 year or 2 years. At least they would be getting use of the wasted money for the Iowa team this year.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
They are both possible options; AHL or pressbox. Yes, it would be tight money wise but the Wild have managed that previously, and as a reward you'd have 1.2M more cap space next season. Easily worth the 'discomfort' this season.

I'm guessing that Fenton wanted some flexibility this season... and I guess he still has time to use it, but it comes with a hefty penalty next season. Right now it looks really dumb since nothing has been done to use that space.

If this situation ends up as Hendricks effectively having a 2 year contract with 1st year being 3M/yr and 2nd year 1.2M/yr, that's pretty brutal.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Those numbers aren't even close to fitting under the cap though. You have to be able to account for any kind of injury call up.
Pshhhh, injuries? That plan was flawless :sarcasm:

On a serious note, I don't think the buyout was that big of a deal.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I have no idea where this conversation went or where it's going. But back to Fenton. I expect a LOT out of him this off-season.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Umm, have you heard that from anyone but me? It's just an opinion/thought I've shared, it's not based on anything other than a gut feeling.
Yeah I have, it was on a podcast I was listening to after the draft and I have read it somewhere else.. I can try and find it but your gut intuition sounds like was on the right path.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
at some point fenton needs to evaluate the wild players based off what their production should be. (factoring in injuries of course). coyle & nino are not on pace to score over 20G , JEE's goal production is a disaster but too soon to give up on him (wish we could send him to iowa). koivu is good defensively but goal production stinks (meaning hes overpaid). staal & zucker have cooled off from last year as I expected. cant blame the 4th line but they are worse without Cullen as expected. its not fair to put all the weight on doobs shoulders but we're only going as far as he can take us which is scary.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
It isn't dumb because someone else said it as well? Yeah, that makes sense:facepalm:
Not what I was intending for you to take from that but clearly you're looking down your path and I am looking down mine. I am just saying it is a take, it is out there.. dumb or not but someone got traction from it somewhere to be discussed in multiple places. Teams make panic picks all the time so I am not sure why it is so hard to justify. Maybe Flahr thought that Johansson was the type of steal or risk pick that would turn out huge for him and help his career so he took a shot.. maybe Fenton had more say in it than I believe. Regardless we are all in agreement to say it was a dumb pick. If it happens again this year I will panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad