Rumor: Paul Coffey Joining Oilers

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It is a business that is based on money, Katz makes money even when we suck, he doesn't care.
I think he does care but his solution to fixing problems is to hire his heroes from the 80s.

Bob Nicholson getting an expanded role was supposed to prevent this stuff from happening again.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In all fairness Mac T and Huddy and even Lowe were decent coaches.

Is Coffey being hired to be GM? No? OK then. Even though personally I'd probably take him at GM over the garbage we have.

Reactions: ujju2

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Oilers doing Coffey a favor by giving him some NHL coaching experience on a thrown season. Expect McLellan to be fired with 20 or so games remaining and Paul taking over as interim coach.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Lowe - GM
MacTavish - Assistant GM

Gretzky - Head Coach
Messier - Assistant
Coffey - Assistant

Sadly, I can almost see this happening. If anything close to this ever happens, I am out as an Oilers fan.

You know it's bad when that group (with the swap of MacT and Gretzky) almost sounds like an upgrade.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Probably being brought in to help the PP. Can't get any worse, so have no issue with it, except that Woodcroft (if he's the one who coaches the PP) should go, but we all know TMac is far too loyal to be reasonable. Emotions come before logic and facts with him, or so it seems, which is why he is less than ideal, IMO. Anyway, hiring Coffey can't hurt.

Reactions: abootzky

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Being loyal to Chia is even worse. OBC is an upgrade.
No. It isn’t.

We’ve had a large enough sample size to know that isn’t the case. If Chiarelli isn’t the answer then we need to find somebody else who might be. That’ll work itself out over time. The answer sure as hell isnt Kevin Lowe or any of his cronies. You’ve lost your mind this year. Nobody needs a break as bad as you.

Reactions: Aerrol

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
In all fairness Mac T and Huddy and even Lowe were decent coaches.

Is Coffey being hired to be GM? No? OK then. Even though personally I'd probably take him at GM over the garbage we have.
There’s nothing wrong with giving an ex player a shot at coaching if he’s keen to give it a try. This usually happens when the player is in his late thirties and has just retired from playing. For it to happen in his mid fifties is odd. Guys dedicate their lives to learning how to be good coaches. If they’re serious about it they’ve started that career long before their mid fifties. This is nothing but another patronage appointment for the boys on the bus. We’ve seen that these never work out well.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I'd be more excited if we brought in a goalie coach with actual nhl experience.
I don't understand how someone who played whl can teach an NHL'er anything.

Anyways, on topic ..... Its OBC, but he's a smart dude. To be determined.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Well TB12 knew something was up on Tuesday evening. Thanks for the heads up.

Well to anyone who can figure it out Coffey is mah fav all time player. Really happy he's with the organization. As what role he takes I'll be waiting to hear.

But on the lighter side... I think he'll be in charge of player skating, to help these guys find the extra gear they've been missing.

First order of the day, everyone gets a pair of brand new skates....

Two sizes smaller :biglaugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No. It isn’t.

We’ve had a large enough sample size to know that isn’t the case. If Chiarelli isn’t the answer then we need to find somebody else who might be. That’ll work itself out over time. The answer sure as hell isnt Kevin Lowe or any of his cronies. You’ve lost your mind this year. Nobody needs a break as bad as you.

Chiarelli is the answer if the question is "how do you tank a franchise with Connor McDavid on it".

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Coffey example is the worst of Chronyism. A player that by his own admission had not visited Edmonton once by choice in the decades between his playing here and the Heritage Classic. That being the affinity and connection he had held with Edmonton, and the Edmonton Oilers. ) i.e.NONE, ZERO, NADA)Also, like all his contemporaries he was of course missing in action not contributing a dime (nor did ANY of the other Oilers alumni) or even make any appearance contribution to saving the team in the 90's.

Indeed the collective consciousness of this whole ex Oilers group was screw the team and city, its small market, if it can't exist, it can't exist.

They simply didn't care, most of them never did. Except to come back here when they needed a gig and paycheck.

This is the height and obscenity of hanger on entitlement. Guys that couldn't care if the city or team or org even still existed just ironically coming back here for some retirement coin.

makes me sick tbh

K Lowe and MacT, in their defense came here when the team needed something, to help the team. Coffey hasn't been affiliated with this team for 31yrs. Why is he here now?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Chiarelli is the answer if the question is "how do you tank a franchise with Connor McDavid on it".
This may very well be the truth and he might be shown the door soon. What I find disturbing is you or anybody else beating the drum for a return to Kevin Lowe regaining control of the team. That is a huge step backwards and one that would be the final straw for me as a fan.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Coffey is the worst of Chronyism. A player that by his own admission had not visited Edmonton once by choice in the decades between his playing here and the Heritage Classic. That being the affinity and connection he had with Edmonton, and the Edmonton Oilers. Also, like all his contemporaries he was of course missing in action not contributing a dime (nor did ANY of the other Oilers alumni) or even make any appearance contribution to saving the team in the 90's.

Indeed the collective consciousness of this whole ex Oilers group was screw the team and city, its small market, if it can't exist, it can't exist.

They simply didn't care, most of them never did. Except to come back here when they needed a gig and paycheck.

This is the height and obscenity of hanger on entitlement. Guys that couldn't care if the city or team or org even still existed just coming back here for some retirement coin.

makes me sick tbh

K Lowe and MacT, in their defense came here when the team needed something, to help the team. Coffey hasn't been affiliated with this team for 31yrs. Why is he here now?

Coffey had an acrimonious split with the franchise in 1987, it seems like has healed a while ago and he's been in Edmonton quite often the last 4-5 years.

I wouldn't say he just popped out of nowhere after 31 years, he's been around the team quite a bit for several years now.

Reactions: ujju2 and Nonamee

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This may very well be the truth and he might be shown the door soon. What I find disturbing is you or anybody else beating the drum for a return to Kevin Lowe regaining control of the team. That is a huge step backwards and one that would be the final straw for me as a fan.

I'm not advocating for it, but I do think Lowe would generally have better results with the same group that Chiarelli has been given. I believe that 100%.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The split was "acrimonious' because he and his agent made it so. Holdouts, refusal to play and for no other reason than wanting more coin. With Coffey's split being the most hideous because it was right during the tenure of the Championship dynasty of the greatest team ever. What kind of person does that? Someone that cares only about himself and money. ONLY.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Because Lowe never once had anywhere near the talent or assets Chiarelli has been given with this team.

First five years of Lowe's tenure they made the playoffs 3 times and the two times they missed was by 2 points each season, and that was with a team that had no money to spend.

The job Chiarelli has done is worse.

So to me, if this is something Katz is doing over Chia and McLellan's head ... I welcome it. Those two should be feeling the heat and I welcome more heat being put on them.

I wouldn't be surprised Todd finally woke up and probably decided to finally change the PP sets because Coffey is likely coming.

Peter needs to be stripped of his POHO title this summer and full autonomy needs to be taken away from him, he is reckless and stupid and someone needs to be put in place. If this is the first step towards that, I welcome it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Because Lowe never once had anywhere near the talent or assets Chiarelli has been given with this team.

First five years of Lowe's tenure they made the playoffs 3 times and the two times they missed was by 2 points each season, and that was with a team that had no money to spend.

The job Chiarelli has done is worse.

So to me, if this is something Katz is doing over Chia and McLellan's head ... I welcome it. Those two should be feeling the heat and I welcome more heat being put on them.
only a great team built by Sather...Lowe's job was to simply not screw it up

he did by hiring Tambo and MacT as his "replacements"

Reactions: McGhost Division

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Another ex player that couldn't give less of a shit about this city or team but needs a paycheck.

f*** off. Katz is officially the worst owner in sports.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
only a great team built by Sather...Lowe's job was to simply not screw it up

he did by hiring Tambo and MacT as his "replacements"

Really? They lose Doug Weight in year 1 ... Lowe still keeps that team competitive. That's a 90+ point Doug Weight ... how do you think Chia would deal with losing McDavid?

After losing Weight, the Oilers only dropped 1 point (93 points to 92 points).

I'd prefer Chiarelli being fired outright, but if it has to happen through the OBC forcing Chia out, even if that's less ideal I'm all for it. Chiarelli is a danger to this franchise and has made the three worst trades of the last three years. He needs to be put into check before any more damage is done.

Of course the OBC is licking their chops looking at this team ... they see how good McDavid and Draisaitl are and they figure they can do better and they're probably not wrong. People who are trying to say the Oilers can't fire Chia/McLellan because no one would take the Oilers job are lying to themselves btw. This just shows plenty of people want to be involved with this franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad