Rumor: Paul Coffey Joining Oilers

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think you hit the nail on the head here. Mclellan nixed Perry Pearn who is a very experienced coach. Coffey, who I don’t believe has ever coached anywhere at any level, wouldn’t be much of a threat to Mclellan.

He coached his son's Bantam AAA, Midget AAA and Junior A teams if that counts.

His only NHL job has come as a "Special Teams Consultant" for the Coyotes way back in 04/05(the lockout season where no games were actually played).

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
cut.jpg

"No Letestu on PP unit 1? This Coffey guy has a lot to learn."

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

His only NHL job has come as a "Special Teams Consultant" for the Coyotes way back in 04/05.
That’s something at least. I wasn’t aware of that. Oilers offered Messier the head coaching job with no coaching experience whatsoever. I guess our organization is becoming more professional.

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton

His only NHL job has come as a "Special Teams Consultant" for the Coyotes way back in 04/05.

I am thinking that this may be what he will be here. A lot of teams are bringing in these "specialized" coaches for practice.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There was no NHL season in 04/05, that must be a mistake regarding the Coyotes job.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Well there you have it. As qualified as most OBC guys have needed to be to have a prominent job with the Oilers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gretzky probably hired Coffey in Phoenix, though I don't know if he ever served in that role since 04/05 was a lock out year.

Katz probably asked Gretzky about who could fix the PP, Gretzky told him Coffey.

That's honestly how this probably went down, lol.

The Oilers probably have been meeting with Gretzky over the last few weeks, this likely is one of the changes he suggested to Katz.

It's cronyism ... but who knows. Maybe Coff does a good job. Mac T and Huddy were decent coaches.

Reactions: ujju2

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Who else gets the feeling the OBC were just waiting for things to go south so they could take away or limit Chiarelli's authority? He's "supposed" to have full say for hockey decisions. Even if you hate the man you have to agree hiring a former Oiler with zero experience is not something he would do. Bringing in Coffey just reeks of Katz/Gretzky/Lowe/MacTavish/Howson.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm ok with him as a Skills or as a PP coach. I'm fairly selective in previous Oilers I'd want back with the org, but he is one of them and I'm not one to look at running away from former Oilers or actively look at hiring them, it should just be a case by case basis.I understand the stigma that our front office is more of a country club for former Oilers and a play thing for Katz to surround himself with the glory days Boys on the Bus, that accusation is well founded, but not every former Oiler is a bad hire.

Former Oilers I'd be ok with having back in these roles (obviously not advocating hiring all of them):
  • Shawn Horcoff- Player development or strength/conditioning coach.
  • Fernando Pisani - AHL assistant coach
  • Todd Marchant- Player development or PK coach.
  • Chris Pronger- Defense coach and probably could handle either half of the special teams. I have a sneaking suspicion he might be a good GM as well.
  • Doug Weight- Seems like a great head coach ATM.
  • Craig MacTavish- AHL head coach, good at developing role players which is the primary export of the AHL. Supplement the coaching staff to cater to the one or two special offensive talents on the AHL team, generally high end talents skip through the AHL pretty quickly so I wouldn't worry about him ruining them.
  • Dwayne Roloson- Goalie coach
  • Kelly Buchberger- AHL assistant coach
Quite a lot of former players would potentially make good scouts. As always though just look at hiring the best person available for the job at hand and obviously in most cases that won't and shouldn't end up being a former Oiler, but occasionally the former Oiler will be the best person for the job.

North

Jun 25, 2009
To be completely forthright most of the OBC have jobs that are ceremonial at best now. They are paid to hang out with Katz basically.

Will wait and see what job they are giving Coffey before I freak the f*** out.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Good call. I forgot about that lockout.

I would assume he was hired to do it, but then never got the chance.
If you google "paul coffey coyotes" a CBC.ca article from September 2002 comes up announcing his hiring with them. I can't post the link because it goes to an error page.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who else gets the feeling the OBC were just waiting for things to go south so they could take away or limit Chiarelli's authority? He's "supposed" to have full say for hockey decisions. Even if you hate the man you have to agree hiring a former Oiler with zero experience is not something he would do. Bringing in Coffey just reeks of Katz/Gretzky/Lowe/MacTavish/Howson.

I welcome to OBC over Chiarelli to be honest. If you gave Kevin Lowe the task of running the team starting in 2015, IMO we'd be in a better spot right now.

Not that Lowe is some genius, but Chiarelli is that bad.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Hey, he can still put it on his resume. You think the guys running the Oilers would actually check? :)

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Gretzky probably hired Coffey in Phoenix, though I don't know if he ever served in that role since 04/05 was a lock out year.

Katz probably asked Gretzky about who could fix the PP, Gretzky told him Coffey.

That's honestly how this probably went down, lol.

The Oilers probably have been meeting with Gretzky over the last few weeks, this likely is one of the changes he suggested to Katz.

It's cronyism ... but who knows. Maybe Coff does a good job. Mac T and Huddy were decent coaches.

Or something like this:

Peter: "What in the actual f***. The PK sucks. The PP sucks. The fans on HF want my head on a pike outside of Rogers like this is a season of Game of Thrones. Mclellan refuses to have Perry Pearn come aboard. Any ideas Wayne?"

Wayne (rather groggy from a late night): "Who here wants coffee? I could use coffee..now what was that Pet..."

Peter ( interrupting Wayne): "Brilliant!!! Why didn't I think of bringing in an elite hall of fame defenseman to fix this mess. I'll call him." Peter runs out of office.

Wayne (looking puzzled): "So...are you getting coffees or am I?"

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Or something like this:

Peter: "What in the actual ****. The PK sucks. The PP sucks. The fans on HF want my head on a pike outside of Rogers like this is a season of Game of Thrones. Mclellan refuses to have Perry Pearn come aboard. Any ideas Wayne?"

Wayne (rather groggy from a late night): "Who here wants coffee? I could use coffee..now what was that Pet..."

Peter ( interrupting Wayne): "Brilliant!!! Why didn't I think of bringing in an elite hall of fame defenseman to fix this mess. I'll call him." Peter runs out of office.

Wayne (looking puzzled): "So...are you getting coffees or am I?"

lol wouldn't surprise me.

That said I think Katz and Gretzky have private meetings, seems like Wayne has been around the team more lately, wouldn't be surprised if it was directly at Katz' request to find out "what's wrong?".

Darryl doesn't give a fart about Chia, lol, but he'll listen to Wayne.

Wayne probably suggested that they bring Coffey on board to fix the PP.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
lol wouldn't surprise me.

That said I think Katz and Gretzky have private meetings, seems like Wayne has been around the team more lately, wouldn't be surprised if it was directly at Katz' request to find out "what's wrong?".

Darryl doesn't give a fart about Chia, lol, but he'll listen to Wayne.

Wayne probably suggested that they bring Coffey on board to fix the PP.

I wonder if Nicholson isn't a part of it too. But you are likely bang on with Katz asking Wayne for suggestions. Especially when Bob and Wayne were sniffing around the team on their last road trip taking games in Dallas and I think Chicago.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Looks like it was 2002, before the 02/03 season:

Coffey joins Coyotes as consultant | CBC Sports

Coyotes PP in 01/02: 14th place
Coyotes PP in 02/03: 21st place

Coyotes PK in 01/02: 21st place
Coyotes PK in 02/03: 27th place

I think Coffey is gonna fit right in with TMac and Friends :)

It's a bummer but I think Gretzky has added a new layer of clueless to our org. Yet another guy in the room that commands absolute respect and admiration, but doesn't have any idea how to build or run a team in today's NHL. Another guy at the table adding bad ideas that everyone else can't help but agree with because he's is who he is.

It's just a bummer man.

Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Well if Chiarelli wasn't the worst negotiating GM in the NHL, maybe I'd be okay with him having more input. Any way we could potential block moves such as the Hall/Eberle/Barzal trades from this moron should be seen as a positive, unless you're an Islanders fan.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I honestly would take Coffey as GM. I have no idea if he has any idea how to run the job, but I figure there's a better than 50% chance he wouldn't trade Nugent Hopkins for Cody Ceci. I don't know if the same can be said of Chia.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oilers Alumni need a job R us...

AS others have wondered is Mess still getting paid on his special consultancy of snacking potato chips and making awkward Connor commercials?

Too bad theres no management/coaching salary cap in the NHL...

This is way too top heavy with lightweights. The thinking apparently being the most heads are better than dull ones.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3