Rumor: Paul Coffey Joining Oilers

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To be honest ... can he be any worse at running a PP/PK than our existing coaching staff is?

At this point what do we have to lose.

Reactions: Dawn Wall

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
This org...

tenor.gif

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Is Coffey truly the best option out there to help the coaching staff? I am also curious if Tmac didn't want to bring in a more experienced coach because it might cramp his style. I though Chia said a just a bit ago they talked about bringing in an assistant coach but it was nixed...the impression I got was it was nixed by Tmac. Could be wrong.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is Coffey truly the best option out there to help the coaching staff? I am also curious if Tmac didn't want to bring in a more experienced coach because it might cramp his style. I though Chia said a just a bit ago they talked about bringing in an assistant coach but it was nixed...the impression I got was it was nixed by Tmac. Could be wrong.

Honestly if I was the GM and Todd had the balls to say "no" to adding a PP/PK coach, I'd fire him on the spot. Seeya. Go hire Darryl Sutter.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Only Mess, Andy, Kurri and Fuhr left to bring on board.......

We had Messier here as a special advisor or something a few years ago. Are we sure he's even gone?

Anyways...

Unless he's taking a similar role to what Dave Semenko had before he passed away (something like team liaison with fans?) it's tough to see how this is anything other than a sign that the OBC is alive and well.

He retired 20 years ago, and unless I'm mistaken he has no experience working for an NHL organization since his retirement.

But yeah, coaching some AAA midget hockey is definitely enough to earn a job here.

Reactions: Zaddy and Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Hahahahahahaha man. Why. It's like they haven't heard a single complaint about the OBC somehow. Has Coffey even coached ever?

Reactions: Summary

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think you hit the nail on the head here. Mclellan nixed Perry Pearn who is a very experienced coach. Coffey, who I don’t believe has ever coached anywhere at any level, wouldn’t be much of a threat to Mclellan.

Reactions: Aerrol

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
To be honest ... can he be any worse at running a PP/PK than our existing coaching staff is?

At this point what do we have to lose.

It's less so "what do we have to lose" and more "for what purpose would you hire a guy with no professional coaching experience." This is the kind of shit that has kept this team the laughing stock of the league for a dozen years.

I mean... if the only argument against is "what do we have to lose," may as well hire me. I could go out there and write Xs and Os on a white board too.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's less so "what do we have to lose" and more "for what purpose would you hire a guy with no professional coaching experience." This is the kind of **** that has kept this team the laughing stock of the league for a dozen years.

I mean... if the only argument against is "what do we have to lose," may as well hire me. I could go out there and write Xs and Os on a white board too.

Is it sad that I honestly would let you have a shot on the PP over what we're doing now, lol.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
"Assuming this gets formalized, things like title/role/degree of involvement are believed to be “a work in progress.” So, for now, let’s go with the proverbial, stay tuned."

So that basically just means we want to give our buddy a job.

Reactions: Zaddy and Aerrol

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
A scouting job wouldn’t be a big deal. Mackenzie’s tweet unfortunately said it was rumoured it was for a coaching job. That’s why people are reacting the way they are.

Rumoured being the key word but the man can skate like a pro still so no beef from me if they throw him in the mix

Reactions: Nonamee

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
Oilers the worst franchise in The 4 major North American Sports and that’s saying something when the Cleveland Browns exist.

Reactions: Dawn Wall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->