Rumor: Paul Coffey Joining Oilers

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
seems like a hiring from gretz, lowe or macT. a little unsettling if chia and or todd had no say or were suggested to strongly consider adding coffey to the organization. who knows how it went down but if the obc are meddling it may speak a bit to the chaos and disharmony and distrust around the team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Mark Messier has been hired as Director Of Potato Chips.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
seems like a hiring from gretz, lowe or macT. a little unsettling if chia and or todd had no say or were suggested to strongly consider adding coffey to the organization. who knows how it went down but if the obc are meddling it may speak a bit to the chaos and disharmony and distrust around the team.

I think it's great if they went over Chia and Todd on this.

Both deserve to know that they don't have free reign here to continually screw up.

Anything that weakens Chiarelli and McLellan is a good move at this point.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Both deserve to know that they don't have free reign here to continually screw up.

ya, it has the potential to be a bit of a prelude to management and or coaching changes upcoming.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Daryl Katz is upset and is leaning on Wayne Gretzky and Bob Nicholson for answers. He has no real relationship with Chiarelli or McLellan, these are just regular employees to him.

People assume Katz is ok with tanking seasons, but the Tambellini thing was always sold to him as a tank rebuild and Katz was occupied with getting the new arena built.

Don't assume Chiarelli has the same leash.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Not really because the constant chronyism make me wonder if the next coaching constellation wouldn't be something like Gretzky siblings, some Coffey, and whatever else they drag back.

Albeit most of the chronies wanting back seem to want a position that's just a paid position and no real responsibility. That's a saving grace. lol that Katz bankrolls all this.

Reactions: Aerrol
Feb 9, 2013
The more things change the more they stay the same... Lets hope Coffey will be a positive addition. Who knows, maybe he will just join the rest of the OBC watching from above.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not really because the constant chronyism make me wonder if the next coaching constellation wouldn't be something like Gretzky siblings, some Coffey, and whatever else they drag back.

Albeit most of the chronies wanting back seem to want a position that's just a paid position and no real responsibility. That's a saving grace. lol that Katz bankrolls all this.

The thing is cronyism is probably better than what's going on now which is just whole sale gutting of assets thanks to Chiarelli + McLellan.

One can't trade for shit, the other one is tanking the value of any asset we trade for.

It's a horrible combination.

Feb 9, 2013
Lowe - GM
MacTavish - Assistant GM

Gretzky - Head Coach
Messier - Assistant
Coffey - Assistant

Sadly, I can almost see this happening. If anything close to this ever happens, I am out as an Oilers fan.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

It's concerning that it seems like you've deluded yourself into thinking that somehow the old boys club having any sway over this team is a good thing. No matter what you think of Chiarelli, Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish caused this team to be the most embarrassingly run disaster of a franchise for a decade. We were literally the worst run team in NHL history.

And you're saying it's good that they might still be calling shots?

These f***ing idiots need to be shot into the sun (metaphorically speaking of course) long before they should be given the reigns to make important decisions again. Even if that means Chiarelli is still calling all the shots and making dumb trades.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
I think the concern this potential Coffey as coach raises is that there is nothing prior to this hiring to suggest any level of success. Smart and successful businesses do not hire people because it cant be any worse...that is not the way to build anything successful. And this hiring at this point looks to be one of those type of things...no established success...almost like grasping at straws...also not a good way to build confidence. But if he is in fact hired as a coach the proof will be in the pudding

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Let's just hire all of the ex oilers for our organizational depth chart regardless of qualifications. This is not a ****ing golf and country club. This is a business which should be based on results. Bush league organization.
It is a business that is based on money, Katz makes money even when we suck, he doesn't care.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's concerning that it seems like you've deluded yourself into thinking that somehow the old boys club having any sway over this team is a good thing. No matter what you think of Chiarelli, Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish caused this team to be the most embarrassingly run disaster of a franchise for a decade. We were literally the worst run team in NHL history.

These ****ing idiots need to be shot into the sun (metaphorically speaking of course) long before they should be given the reigns to make important decisions again. Even if that means Chiarelli is still calling all the shots and making dumb trades.

I think Lowe would've done a better job than Chiarelli if given the team in May 2015.

Both are bad options, but one is worse.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If it's as some kind of special teams consultant I'm alright with this. Everyone starts out somewhere and it's not like the PP and PK can get much worse. Coffey was a one of the best OFD of all time.

Makes me wonder if he's actually being brought in to work with the likes of Nurse and Klefbom. The total inability of our defence to contribute offensively has been another nail in the coffin this season.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Ehhh optics are awful on this, recycled Oiler great number... what... 5 for the Org?

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
ya, it has the potential to be a bit of a prelude to management and or coaching changes upcoming.

when Chia and T-Mac and his staff are fired after this season, your new/old GM is the apparent GM in training....MacT. new coach is Marty McSorely and his assistants Paul Coffey and Glenn Anderson! Old Boys Club 2.0 o_O

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Who else gets the feeling the OBC were just waiting for things to go south so they could take away or limit Chiarelli's authority? He's "supposed" to have full say for hockey decisions. Even if you hate the man you have to agree hiring a former Oiler with zero experience is not something he would do. Bringing in Coffey just reeks of Katz/Gretzky/Lowe/MacTavish/Howson.
I called this happening as soon as we found out the OBC was sticking around after Chiarelli’s hire. Nothing good was ever going to come out of these guys sticking around. I can’t imagine the level of dysfunction around this team. Nobody knowing who’s really in charge and who they should be loyal to.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I called this happening as soon as we found out the OBC was sticking around after Chiarelli’s hire. Nothing good was ever going to come out of these guys sticking around. I can’t imagine the level of dysfunction around this team. Nobody knowing who’s really in charge and who they should be loyal to.

Being loyal to Chia is even worse. OBC is an upgrade.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

These ****ing idiots need to be shot into the sun (metaphorically speaking of course) long before they should be given the reigns to make important decisions again. Even if that means Chiarelli is still calling all the shots and making dumb trades.
Bravo, best post you’ve ever written.

Reactions: CM4

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino