NFL: Patriots Success

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
As somebody who fully understands Spygate. When everybody says this, I impose this question and never get a reply.

If Spygate wasn't so important to the Patriots early success. How come years after the fact when McDaniels became the HC for the Broncos. Why was he still doing it? He got caught and fired and ran back to Tainted Town with his tail between his legs and they gladly took him back. Why? That imposes a whole other line of questions. Belichick seems to hold grudges and they had moved on from McDaniels so why move backwards? Why take in a cheater? He just got fired for cheating. Was he worried McDaniels would spill all the boston beans? There's ZERO integrity in Tainted Town. NONE.
TBH, I cant think of a person who understands less about spygate than you. Sorry!

Last edited:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
You still aren't addressing why 1) If it wasn't important to the Patriots success why was McDaniels still doing it years after Spygate/the NFL said no more? 2) If the Patriots are claiming innocence/missing the memo. Why would they welcome back a now known cheater as he was caught doing it after Spygate? 3) Why wasn't he banned from the league for life? Spygate was his warning. He should be out the league. It's a joke he's allowed to still coach/always in HC job rumors.
Watch "Do your job Part III". Belichick believes in McDaniels as a coach. To paraphrase: "I give him some points of focus for every game but it's his show. We agree on 90-95% of each game plan. If we don't agree, I defer to him, and he's usually right. ".

McDaniels: "Part of the success in coaching with New England is that Belichick doesn't micro manage. He is clear that he expects excellence, and the goal is not good - it's perfect - but he doesn't wade into every detail. "

They welcomed him back because he's a good coach & Bill/Tom trust him. Just like my old job would hire me back in about 3 seconds if I reapplied - I was great at my job and they would be better with me.
Spygate is a joke when you look at actually what went on. Bill Cowher admitting every team in the league did the same thing before the whole thing blew up and that was wiped from the internet. The Pats got wacked because the Pats win and it pisses off the rest of the league; same thing with Deflategate. If you think Goodell works for anyone but the majority of the owners in the league, I got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Reactions: CDJ

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Watch "Do your job Part III". Belichick believes in McDaniels as a coach. To paraphrase: "I give him some points of focus for every game but it's his show. We agree on 90-95% of each game plan. If we don't agree, I defer to him, and he's usually right. ".

McDaniels: "Part of the success in coaching with New England is that Belichick doesn't micro manage. He is clear that he expects excellence, and the goal is not good - it's perfect - but he doesn't wade into every detail. "

They welcomed him back because he's a good coach & Bill/Tom trust him. Just like my old job would hire me back in about 3 seconds if I reapplied - I was great at my job and they would be better with me.
Spygate is a joke when you look at actually what went on. Bill Cowher admitting every team in the league did the same thing before the whole thing blew up and that was wiped from the internet. The Pats got wacked because the Pats win and it pisses off the rest of the league; same thing with Deflategate. If you think Goodell works for anyone but the majority of the owners in the league, I got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

What blew me away from the "Do your job" special is the scene where they show that Hill that is at the practice facility. Every player was running up and down that hill with Bill saying "Put it in the bank" over and over.

The whole reason the Patriots had their way in the 2nd half and OT of the super bowl was because the Altanta defense ran out of gas while the Patriots still had some juice left.

Who knew that running up and down a hill all season long was going to be a key factor in a super bowl win.

You know who knew that? Bill Belichick.

Last edited:

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

Bill Cowher, Jimmy Johnson, plenty of coaches admitted to doing the exact same thing the Patriots did. People refuse to admit it though

Reactions: Bocephus86

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
What blew me away from the "Do your job" special is the scene where they show that Hill that is at the practice facility. Every player was running up and down that hill with Bill saying "Put it in the bank" over and over.

The whole reason the Patriots had their way in the 2nd half and OT of the super bowl was because the Altanta defense ran out of gas while the Patriots still had some juice left.

Who knew that running up and down a hill all season long was going to be a key factor in a super bowl win.

"Nah man, they got lucky" - fing ridiculous

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

I remember this being talked about distinctly - was this in one of the specials? For some reason I distinctly remember people saying the Pats didn't think they had 70 plays in them and as the game went on they felt it.
I mean 70 plays like the stamina to hang in a game like that.

Reactions: irunthepeg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I am one of the few people who has always been generally indifferent by comparison to the Patriots. They have had more than their fair share of lucky breaks - you could say that about any generationally-dominant team. It's part of what makes those types of teams so successful is cashing in when they get them and coming through where they have zero margin for error. That's the theatre that is sports.

The most annoying part of their success to me, is when they have off-days or do have half of a slump (don't even have to lose some of the games), or even do lose in the playoffs (even if it's the Super Bowl) and a large number fans for some reason run on to the internet and try to justify it by acting like they were never as good as anyone wanted you to think and/or how they should've won more if Tom Brady didn't choke, as if being the greatest player ever to step foot on a gridiron somehow isn't enough.

As for the cheating, no one's taking away their trophies, but it is part of the equation. When the book is written, it is part of the story. In itself, is just how it is. No one would talk about it if they didn't do it. Teams win because they are teams who should be winning, and their fans should celebrate that. However, the bottom line is that the cheating is part of the conversation, regardless of who is or is not jealous of their success, and the cheating is not part of the conversation for teams like the Steelers or 49ers. With that said, the juice is still worth the squeeze, they've built an entire worldwide brand because they've been winners.

Reactions: BrendanGallagher11

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I remember this being talked about distinctly - was this in one of the specials? For some reason I distinctly remember people saying the Pats didn't think they had 70 plays in them and as the game went on they felt it.
I mean 70 plays like the stamina to hang in a game like that.

Yes. it was in the Do your Job part 2 special.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
I am one of the few people who has always been generally indifferent by comparison to the Patriots. They have had more than their fair share of lucky breaks - you could say that about any generationally-dominant team. It's part of what makes those types of teams so successful is cashing in when they get them and coming through where they have zero margin for error. That's the theatre that is sports.

The most annoying part of their success to me, is when they have off-days or do have half of a slump (don't even have to lose some of the games), or even do lose in the playoffs (even if it's the Super Bowl) and a large number fans for some reason run on to the internet and try to justify it by acting like they were never as good as anyone wanted you to think and/or how they should've won more if Tom Brady didn't choke, as if being the greatest player ever to step foot on a gridiron somehow isn't enough.

As for the cheating, no one's taking away their trophies, but it is part of the equation. When the book is written, it is part of the story. In itself, is just how it is. No one would talk about it if they didn't do it. Teams win because they are teams who should be winning, and their fans should celebrate that. However, the bottom line is that the cheating is part of the conversation, regardless of who is or is not jealous of their success, and the cheating is not part of the conversation for teams like the Steelers or 49ers. With that said, the juice is still worth the squeeze, they've built an entire worldwide brand because they've been winners.
The Steelers organization are not exactly saints. Steelers players in the 70s have used steroids during their Super Bowl years. Terry Bradshaw even admitted using some himself. Also, a Steelers doctor Richard Rydze, who worked for the team 22 years, was arrested for distribution of HGH. He did this around 2005-2007. That was during IIRC a Super Bowl season for them.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The Steelers organization are not exactly saints. Steelers players in the 70s have used steroids during their Super Bowl years. Terry Bradshaw even admitted using some himself. Also, a Steelers doctor Richard Rydze, who worked for the team 22 years, was arrested for distribution of HGH. He did this around 2005-2007. That was during IIRC a Super Bowl season for them.

Every team had players that used steroids in the 70s. Not sure why people think this was a Steelers only thing

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Jerry Rice has admitted to using Stick 'em when he played.
Every team does stuff; when the Patriots get caught it becomes a big deal because everyone hates them and cannot admit they've just been a better organization & team for 20 years. When the Chargers kicker was caught warming up footballs or whatever the team was fined $11k and it didn't even make the news. When there was an accusation that the Patriots deflated a couple balls it was a national story, they got fined a first round draft pick & like a million dollars, and Brady was suspended for 4 games.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I came within a blink of putting $100 down on the Dolphins plus 19 points.

I figured I couldn't lose. Glad I didn't do it.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
We'll have to see how great the Patriots are after Brady retires.

It's a whole lot easier being GREAT when you have (by far) the greatest of all time playing QB.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Didn't DeBartolo get caught for offering players under the table bonuses/gifts during contract talks?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
EVERY team goes thru ebbs and flows. The Patriots were AWFUL for decades. Everything evens out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't DeBartolo get caught for offering players under the table bonuses/gifts during contract talks?
As I said, it's never been part of the conversation, and if you disagree then let me know when the NFL recoups their Lombardi trophies. They still won on the field.

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
Some sports leagues around the world take salary cap circumvention seriously. For example, the National Rugby League in Australia stripped the Melbourne Storms' 2 championships for salary cap breach.

Reactions: Voight

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
They didn't change the rules, just the way they were enforced. The rule that they slightly changed was the illegal touching one. Before that game, if a reciever went out of bounds they were ineligible. Afterward, they were able to receive the ball if they re-established themselves inbounds. Belichick ended up having his DBs grab Colts WR and ride them out of bounds as quickly as possible. It was against the spirit of the rules. Those rules both existed but Belichick exploited the enforcement of them to game the system. He cheated.

things that didn't happen....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad