Real talk.

landscape-1507727073-too-loud-gif.gif

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Let me know if I’m completely off base:

PHI: Nolan Patrick + Phil Myers + Jay O’Brien + 2019 1st

WPG: Patrik Laine

I don’t want to see Laine moved. Would rather us find a centre who compliments him and Ehlers

Last edited:

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Yes, completely off base. Start with Provorov.
Regressed valuations of this trade aren’t far off. In fact they’re a difference is approximately 2.5%.

Team needs- I guess you guys need defense? Byfugelin, Morrissey, Myers, and Trouba aren’t working for the top 4?

Trades don’t necessarily work as let’s give up our best young player for yours... giving away Provorov makes Phillys shaky defense even that much more atrocious. I don’t see many non-absurd trades that the flyers would say no to. It doesn’t really start with Provorov. If it’s Provorov, you wouldn’t see Hextall, or even PHI fans willing to throw in anything else. If he’s the only player that merits Laine, this can end right here.

I thought Patrick would be a good addition at C, Myers is one of the best D prospects (RHD) in the NHL, and you get a great 1st rd pick in Jay O’Brien along with a first.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I 100% think the ask from WPG starts with Provorov or Ghost, but if we give up one of them, you won’t find many PHI fans willing to give up anything else solely due to PHI not having a good 3/4/5/6 set-in-stone at the moment.

There probably isn’t a trade that would work for both sides, however, I thought my initial offer was fair and not a quantity for quality offer since the least valuable thing in that offer is a mid 1st along with the valuation being marginally different (favors PHI by 2.5%).

EDIT: I don’t mean to say that Provorov has more value than Laine, although in this context, to Philly, he most certainly does. Our Offesne has been very solid over the years, but Philly has lacked that elite shoot first player.

Last edited:

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I don’t want to see Laine moved. Would rather us find a centre who compliments him and Ehlers
That’s why I started with Patrick. I thought he complements Ehlers game well.

Ehlers is a good down low playmaker. Patrick is very underrated around the net. He is actually his best playing around the red line. Patrick also has great vision down low and can pass in and through pressure. That’s what made him very effective on the Flyers PP1 for the last 20 games collecting ~5 goals. Patrick opens up space in High Danger Zones, which is where Ehlers plays best.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No he is not. Matthews is clearly a better player in all facets other than the 1 timer. I would trade Laine for Matthews in a heartbeat.

Good think that you are not Chevy.
Laine is happy to be in Winnipeg.

Matthews would run back to Arizona to the american team he loves.

Mar 26, 2010
It is like 6 games into the season.
Not 80 games. lofl

To many people overate their boy Matthews.
And you underrate him! Massively.

Never forget that Toronto took Matthews #1 overall. If we wanted Laine we could have had him. Toronto picked the best player.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Laine is worth Matthews.

Straight up no adds.
Real talk.
Come on... Matthews is better at every aspect of the game. Better goalscorer, better playmaker, better defensively, faster skater, tougher on the boards, more important position.

The Laine vs Matthews stuff is dead and buried at this point.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Come on... Matthews is better at every aspect of the game. Better goalscorer, better playmaker, better defensively, faster skater, tougher on the boards, more important position.

It's like the Duchene and Tavares comparisons. It was fun for a while but then it became obvious.

Laine is still a very good player though.

Reactions: glucker

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
It is like 6 games into the season.
Not 80 games. lofl

To many people overate their boy Matthews.
Laine has 81 goals and 55 assists in 159 games.

Matthews has 84 goals and 62 assists in 150 games, and spent a lot of time playing injured last season.

It’s not just 6 games. It’s their careers- Matthews has always been better.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

Goal scorer and shooting in general I’d take Laine. Every other way yeah Matthews

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Jets should trade Laine before his value drops more. I think his first 2 seasons he was pretty lucky with his scoring. Last year he scored much because of a very hot powerplay and luck.

This summer he was supposed to become faster and more explosive. But he looks even worse now. He looks very lazy and bad and turns pucks over all the time. He is very one dimensional.

Laine is very slow in his moves and it seems that he reacts too slowly in the game. One reason is that he is not a good skater but the bigger reason is that he thinks the game too slow. Or maybe he things the game too much and does not react on instinct.

But anyway I would trade Laine now cause his value is still pretty high after 2 anomaly seasons.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Does their difference in position not register for you? Franchise Centre > All Star Winger. All day everyday.

Laine has similar value as a young Phil Kessel.

Kessell has two cups with Pittburgh.
Great pick up by the Pens after Toronto ran him out of town.

I wonder when Matthews will go to Arizona to play for the Coyotes.
That would be his dream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad