Value of: Patrik Laine

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Really?

I am being honest, you really think Mitch doesn't control the game more?

I am not comparing one timers here, he skates better, edges better, passes better, enters the zone better, drives his line better... I mean how could anybody argue that?

Both are young and will of course get better, but as of right now, I don't see many GM's thinking otherwise.

Also, I have always loved and defended Laine, so this is not a dislike thing,.
I agree but we will be roasted till Marner gets the cred he deserves.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Must be a Jets fan. Since when does Laine Pts total CRUSH marners lol. Great argument there
Laine plays and has played with top line talent.
Marner played with 3rd-4th line guys, averaging like
13-16mins a game. Past 1/2yr hes played with top talent and look at him now

Laine averages 15 mins a game and plays with a center that had 40 points last season. So far the center has scored 0 points in 4 games. I wouldn't say that his circumstances differ that much from Marner's.

Jets should definitely get rid of Laine if they are not going to be using him more than they currently do. No sense in paying millions to a guy who's playing 3rd line minutes. Better to get a couple of solid defensemen and a better 2nd center for that money.

Last edited:

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Laine with Hyman and Tavares would be better than Matthews line.
Ehhh, i’d take the line with Marner for now, they are doing ridiculous things together. I don’t believe that line is still top of the league in points if you switch marner with laine.

Mar 26, 2010
Laine is not getting traded, no way. Once he starts scoring goals this season, these ridiculous threads will stop.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Really?

I am being honest, you really think Mitch doesn't control the game more?

I am not comparing one timers here, he skates better, edges better, passes better, enters the zone better, drives his line better... I mean how could anybody argue that?

Both are young and will of course get better, but as of right now, I don't see many GM's thinking otherwise.

Also, I have always loved and defended Laine, so this is not a dislike thing,.
Definitely. A Leafs homerism thing. How many 40 goal scorers are there in the league today? Thinking that Marner would be more preferable because of zone entries is a homeristic viewpoint. You realize the idea of the game is to score goals, not just enter the zone, right?

Finding a guy that does what Marner does is far easier than finding a guy that does what Laine does.

Thinking otherwise is just viewing the game through homer goggles.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Definitely. A Leafs homerism thing. How many 40 goal scorers are there in the league today? Thinking that Marner would be more preferable because of zone entries is a homeristic viewpoint. You realize the idea of the game is to score goals, not just enter the zone, right?

Finding a guy that does what Marner does is far easier than finding a guy that does what Laine does.

I'd say viewing otherwise would indicate you have some semblance of hockey knowledge, and arent just a fanboy. Laine's super skill has amounted to one PP goal in four games thus far. Marner is a driver who has a big impact on his linemates, Laine is a passenger who needs a driver (like Scheifele) to be truly effective.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I'd say viewing otherwise would indicate you have some semblance of hockey knowledge, and arent just a fanboy. Laine's super skill has amounted to one PP goal in four games thus far. Marner is a driver who has a big impact on his linemates, Laine is a passenger who needs a driver (like Scheifele) to be truly effective.
Spoken like a true Leafs homer. It's funny that you probably actually believe that.:laugh::laugh: Marner is such a line driver, that he spent half of last season on the 4th line.

But I will concede that Marner is another of the Leafs' generational talents.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Spoken like a true Leafs homer. It's funny that you probably actually believe that.:laugh::laugh: Marner is such a line driver, that he spent half of last season on the 4th line.

Calling people a homer doesnt erase facts. Marner is outpointing him in their careers, and this season.

LOL, Marner played about 6 games, if that, on the 4th line. But even then he was never as useless as Laine has been this season. Awesome guess though, you seem to like winging it.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Calling people a homer doesnt erase facts. Marner is outpointing him in their careers, and this season.

LOL, Marner played about 6 games, if that, on the 4th line. But even then he was never as useless as Laine has been this season. Awesome guess though, you seem to like winging it.
I already agreed, Marner is another Leafs generational talent. You can tell by all the playoff success the Leafs have had.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Acknowledging that both of these types of players are rare finds, a big lumbering sniper who doesn't really do much else when he isn't unloading his shot isn't really contributing as much as a guy who always has the puck and is involved in the play everywhere.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I already agreed, Marner is another Leafs generational talent. You can tell by all the playoff success the Leafs have had.

Ah, so it's either;

"Lolz, Laine>>>>>>4th line Marner pos, AINEC"

And,

"Marner, the generational Gretzky x 9000!!!!!! >>>>>> Patricia Laine, Finnish hockey bust and inventor or the face-mullet"

There is a happy grey area where most of us live, join at any time my man.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Laine averages 15 mins a game and plays with a center that had 40 points last season. So far the center has scored 0 points in 4 games. I wouldn't say that his circumstances differ that much from Marner's.

Jets should definitely get rid of Laine if they are not going to be using him more than they currently do. No sense in paying millions to a guy who's playing 3rd line minutes. Better to get a couple of solid defensemen and a better 2nd center for that money.

there is such a thing as spreading out the offence to stop teams from keying on one line.

there may be a chemistry problem but that is solvable.

as for no sense overpaying for forwards while neglecting defence………

maybe Toronto would be better served exposing Matthews at the seattle draft.

take his salary and fix the defence.

or that team is going nowhere fast if they have almost 40 mil of the cap locked up in 4 players

Reactions: Snowman

JayKnowsHockey

Nov 27, 2017
People need to watch Marner play before posting all these dumb comments.

Laine is not far superior than Marner. And Marner isnt far superior than Laine. Both are great players that do 2 totally different things for their respective teams. Any team in the NHL would die to have either of these guys.
End of story

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Heldig

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Ah, so it's either;

"Lolz, Laine>>>>>>4th line Marner pos, AINEC"

And,

"Marner, the generational Gretzky x 9000!!!!!! >>>>>> Patricia Laine, Finnish hockey bust and inventor or the face-mullet"

There is a happy grey area where most of us live, join at any time my man.
I don't know what you're on about. You're the one claiming a small winger that is good at zone entries is better than one who actually puts the puck in the net more at a younger age than anyone for a long tinge and that all NHL GM's would agree with you.

So, you appear to be the one making silly, unsubstantiated claims based on your homeristic fantasy. Not me.

Keep dreaming though.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Must be a Jets fan. Since when does Laine Pts total CRUSH marners lol. Great argument there
Laine plays and has played with top line talent.
Marner played with 3rd-4th line guys, averaging like
13-16mins a game. Past 1/2yr hes played with top talent and look at him now

Im a Leaf fan ;s

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017

Wow, talk about overly dramatic and completely ridiculous (2nd paragraph).

I think the Jets Organization would prefer Laine put more effort in his all around game. His skating still needs alot of work as well. I'm sure the Jets Org would have loved to see 29 come into camp this year and take over his own line. Make his teammates better and force the staff to give him 20min/night.

Hes been extreamly disappointing to say the least. When Laine chooses to act like a pro (gud) he will see success, until then its watching the big boys from the pine by the looks of things. I won't make a excuse for Pate and I know he wouldn't make one either so let's lay off the excuses buds.

Reactions: Dustin

Mar 26, 2010

Why are you calling Marner a 4th liner? You do know, no one believes that.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Ryder, Halak and a 2nd..... Oh wait, that joke doesn't work anymore...

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Let me know if I’m completely off base:

PHI: Nolan Patrick + Phil Myers + Jay O’Brien + 2019 1st

WPG: Patrik Laine

Reactions: Ares

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I don't know what you're on about. You're the one claiming a small winger that is good at zone entries is better than one who actually puts the puck in the net more at a younger age than anyone for a long tinge and that all NHL GM's would agree with you.

So, you appear to be the one making silly, unsubstantiated claims based on your homeristic fantasy. Not me.

Keep dreaming though.

I never mentioned anything about zone entries or GM's agreeing with me, you literally invented that.

For such a goal scorer you'd think he would have more than Marner.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I'm not being snitty so don't go there, I don't see where Laine fits into the Leafs system, the top two centres are goal scorer's and not set-up men and Laine needs a set man to put the puck on the tee

Matthews being a lefty is more prone to passing to the RW, it's the same with Tavares. The LW on both lines are hard skating forecheckers, Laine's biggest deficiency is his skating, he has average edges and speed, he is big and strong no doubt, but he's not a "work the boards and corner" winger.

He might work with Kadri, but Kadri is the match-up guy and Laine is a pure offensive threat, because of that he doesn't compliment the line, both wingers on the line have to support the centre when he's in deep, which means the wingers generally play high and have to get back first.

Either way Laine to Toronto just doesn't work he'd still get his 40 probably, but the cost going back and the money he'll want just doesn't fit the Leafs next 5 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->