Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
The key to fix Laine's regression might be to consult Psych. He could be regressing to his teenage self, with similar issues popping up affecting his focus and motivation. The Jets should simply hire a full time psychiatrist and mental coach to work him up and see what happens.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
The key to fix Laine's regression might be to consult Psych. He could be regressing to his teenage self, with similar issues popping up affecting his focus and motivation. The Jets should simply hire a full time psychiatrist and mental coach to work him up and see what happens.

Since they are in Canada, may I suggest Jordan Peterson.
What Patrik really needs right now is so Jordan to yell at him "clean up your room and get your shit together!"
And this is only 50% joke post.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Since they are in Canada, may I suggest Jordan Peterson.
What Patrik really needs right now is so Jordan to yell at him "clean up your room and get your **** together!"
And this is only 50% joke post.

+1 on Jordan Peterson, he's all about teaching young men to take responsibility, grow up and get their sh*t together.

Reactions: Koijari

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Did Laine have a bad game apart from the one mistake?

I completely missed it. What was he doing wrong?

I thought he was moving his feet, stripping pucks loose, had some great dekes etc.

I mean I get the game plan for this season, clear as day so it's fine to move him to the fourth, but I thought he was really engaged in this game.

Good game from the kid! The goals will come.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Why? They should be held to the same standard as every other citizen. Just because he’s an athlete doesn’t mean he should have special privilege.

Because being a pro athlete isn't the same as wanting to study to become a doctor.
The career lenght/prime is such a short time in pro sports.

I don't like putting obstacles in the way of getting to the top, and overall we Finns have had serious trouble with developing athlete superstars lately.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Because being a pro athlete isn't the same as wanting to study to become a doctor.

I don't like putting obstacles in the way of getting to the top, and overall we Finns have had serious trouble with developing athlete superstars lately.
I’m not really sure how a few months of physical training could completely ruin an athletes career. Possibly in other sports but this is the golden era of Finnish hockey if you haven’t noticed.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’m not really sure how a few months of physical training could completely ruin an athletes career. Possibly in other sports but this is the golden era of Finnish hockey if you haven’t noticed.

None of the kids have had to go through military, and not ruin but hurt.

There's millions on the line for these kids and they can't put their physical development on hold the same as others can, again studying for doctor example.

It would be absolute rubbish if Laine had to cut down his offseason training next summer due to military.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You don't want to open that can of worms! :laugh:
Or you just look at Rantanen and see that either way can work. They are all individuals. What works for someone quicker might take longer for someone else too.

I’m anyway confident that it is a good development path for Laine which he is taking now. Other paths could definitely work too, but if this path gives at some point similar kind of results that Rantanen is having now, then I believe Laine’s path has been mighty fine.

It’s also good to remember that Laine is two years behind Rantanen with the time that both of them have been training with Rautala. And as I have reminded already many times here, it’s a long process how Rautala’s training developes especially bigger guys like Rantanen and Laine. As I have said before too, Laine is going to need about two years still to be considerably better and to be close to his prime. He will be already later this season great, when the early season awkwardness and stiffness are more behind, and when his luck will also turn to a bit better again. People are again massively overreacting about Laine. He really polarizes people in an amazing way!

Reactions: Mony Vibescu

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Or you just look at Rantanen and see that either way can work. They are all individuals. What works for someone quicker might take longer for someone else too.

I’m anyway confident thst it is a good path for Lqine which he is taking now. Others paths could definitely work too, but if this path gives at some point similar kind of results that Rantanen is having now, then I believe Laine’s path has been mighty fine.

It’s also good to remember that Laine is two years behind Rantanen with the time that both of them have been training with Rautala. And as I have reminded already many times here, it’s a long process how Rautala’s training developes especially bigger guys like Rantanen and Laine. As I have said before too, Laine is going to tai about two years still to be considerably better and to be close to his prime. He will be already later this season great, when the early season awkwardness and stiffness are more behind, and when his luck will also turn to a bit better again. People are again massively overreacting about Laine. He really polarizes people in an amazing way!

Yeah it's amazing how he can garner so much hate / love. Sign of a superstar for sure.

Like some posters you can feel they are just frothing at the mouth when a 20yo player makes a single mistake and then they start their parade. It's fascinating to watch.

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
I think him playing in the fourth line with his future centerman Roslovic , and getting a lot of ice time on the power play is just fine. I don't think he should be anywhere near the top six with the way he's playing CURRENTLY.

He will snap out of it eventually.

The future line of
Connor-Roslovic-Laine sounds good for me.

And you can't really compare the results that Rantanen is getting to those of Laine. Rantanen is a physical monster , that seems to respond well to the workouts that Rantala gives him. Laine on the other hand doesn't seem to be this exceptional athlete. I'm sure he'll get better though.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think him playing in the fourth line with his future centerman Roslovic , and getting a lot of ice time on the power play is just fine. I don't think he should be anywhere near the top six with the way he's playing CURRENTLY.

The future line of

And you can't really compare the results that Rantanen is getting to those of Laine. Rantanen is a physical monster , that seems to respond well to the workouts that Rantala gives him. Laine on the other hand doesn't seem to be this exceptional athlete. I'm sure he'll get better though.
Well, you can always check what Rautala has said about Laine and his physical potential compared to Rantanen. I at least trust Rautala’s estimation. Rautala also said that because Laine’s training motivation has been first class, he sees that he has the chance to get where Rantanen is physically at some point, or at least close there. Only time will tell. But I still believe that people are terribly jumping the gun here. If in two years he hasn’t clearly developed from what he is at the moment, then I will have to take it as it is then, but so far I believe that the longer development path will work for him like it has worked for Rantanen.

Two years ago btw Rantanen was still falling around easily on the ice and having problems with tight space much more than he has now. Now there is no problems like that at all in his game. People tend to really only remember the good things about players when they finally reach their prime. Rantanen was a worse player two years ago than Laine is at the moment. They have the same trainer with the same training approach, so I’m confident that Laine will have the similar kind of results in two years. But only time will tell, as I already mentioned.

Reactions: 4th Line Beast

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

The future line of

By that logic many of the top 6 should not be in the top 6.

Reactions: Mony Vibescu

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
By that logic many of the top 6 should not be in the top 6.
I agree with what you just wrote. I have no problems dropping players from top six , if they haven't been top six players for the past 20 - 30 games. Go to fourth line , play against some easier competition , score a few goals and get your confidence back. He's still getting a ton of power play time and I don't have no problem with that

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
Well, you can always check what Rautala has said about Laine and his physical potential compared to Rantanen. I at least trust Rautala’s estimation. Rautala also said that because Laine’s training motivation has been first class, he sees that he has the chance to get where Rantanen is physically at some point, or at least close there. Only time will tell. But I still believe that people are terribly jumping the gun here. If in two years he hasn’t clearly developed from what he is at the moment, then I will have to take it as it is then, but so far I believe that the longer development path will work for him like it has worked for Rantanen.

Two years ago btw Rantanen was still falling around easily on the ice and having problems with tight space much more than he has now. Now there is no problems like that at all in his game. People tend to really only remember the good things about players when they finally reach their prime. Rantanen was a worse player two years ago than Laine is at the moment. They have the same trainer with the same training approach, so I’m confident that Laine will have the similar kind of results in two years. But only time will tell, as I already mentioned.
Yeah Rautala not Rantala.

I'm sure he'll get there like you said it just requires a lot of hard work.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Yeah it's amazing how he can garner so much hate / love. Sign of a superstar for sure.

Like some posters you can feel they are just frothing at the mouth when a 20yo player makes a single mistake and then they start their parade. It's fascinating to watch.

Something tells me that's not gonna change, there's something about Laine and how he carries himself that annoys people :laugh: Also right now, big part of it is just frustration at watching an underachiever.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Why? I have ticket to friday game and if Laine is in PB I will throw stuff on PoMo/ice. Apparently haters gonna hate.

I dont know how I would feel, because if you guys ensure Pomo doesnt come back in a coaching role, I think it might be for the greater good!

All joking aside nobody seems to be scoring on this team, I mean not last game but the game before that he had what 8 shots on net? Last year that was good enough for 3 goals. If you getting 8 shots on net your doing ALOT RIGHT.

If he is on the forth line, whatever maybe it fill force Pomo to acknowledge it exists. Plus gets him away from the high d pairings. The whole team just seems to have no idea wtf its doing this year.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Laine is definitely not the only one who is struggling this year. Wheelers point totals are incredibly misleading. He's been a dog's breakfast. To me, Laine needs to keep his feet moving to be effective. Maybe there was a communication between Stastny and the kids to ensure they did that.

Unfortunately, it seems like Patty was the issue because Ehlers has looked great away from him and Little is far better without him.

Curious case..

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Did Laine have a bad game apart from the one mistake?

I completely missed it. What was he doing wrong?

I thought he was moving his feet, stripping pucks loose, had some great dekes etc.

I mean I get the game plan for this season, clear as day so it's fine to move him to the fourth, but I thought he was really engaged in this game.

Good game from the kid! The goals will come.

I thought it was his best game of the season by far. You are pretty much spot on with my assessment. If he played like he did last night going forward, he will be fine.

Reactions: grieves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad