Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake Barnes

Apr 25, 2018
Winnipeg
Pate will be fine, his struggles have mostly been with simply hitting the net. I think he probably has at least 2-3 more goals if he just hits the net with his shots. He also came within 1/4 of an inch from potting one on Wednesday. That puck goes bar down if it's a hair lower.

For what it's worth, he looks better this year than he did last year. Much quicker, much more agile, and, to my eyes, making better decisions with the puck. He still has plenty to work on, but I think he's trending in the right direction, even if the boxcar stats haven't been there.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It looks like he is working hard. I don't know maybe we see a Barkov/Rantanen kind of effect where he will take some time to develop certain things he needs to remain a solid player. It took until Barkov was about 20 to really start breaking out and he didn't fully break out until last year at 22. Rantanen didn't really break out until about 21.

It could just be the way his off-season advisors do things but it is odd that most of these Finnish guys take awhile to really break out. Even though Laine came into the league well above either of those guys it seems he may be a year or two away from realizing his full athletic potential. Why do they train like this? I know guys like Crosby, McDavid, Kane and many other in NA train far differently.

You don't want to open that can of worms! :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think there is something to this. I'm always defending video games here, but I'm not so sure about my position anymore.

I think the biggest problem is that it keeps you from deactivating in the evening, and thus it's problematic for your rest.

But it's the same thing with with Netflix, so it's not a problem with video games per se. It's about winding down and actually grasping that quality sleep. I think it's about our brain thinking it's daytime when it should be thinking night time. There are plenty of apps that shut down some light elements from your screen that you can use (like f.lux), but I very much doubt consoles would have that, and even if they did, competitive guys wouldn't use that.

If Laine wants to really life hack his ****, then he should meditate at least 20 min per day. Meditation has demonstrable benefits. I think gaming in the evening is the antithesis of that.

But it's the same thing with any activity that emits these certain light waves. Gaming is no different than binging on Netflix, except Netflix doesn't improve you in any shape or form (except that there is a LOT of truth in fiction), whereas gaming does (eyesight, reflexes, decision-making, co-operation, spacial awareness).

But it's a zero-sum game if you don't recover in the evening, but activate your brain all the time.

Some good points. Binging on Netflix or just TV is different than gaming but a lot depends on the content. More and more, newer programming is also being designed to grab you and hold you. Old style stories actually worked at the exact opposite. Give the viewer closure with a happy ending. Noir wouldn't have such happy endings but it still gave closure. Modern programming is closer to the old cliffhanger serials. "Tune in next week for the exciting conclusion", except there was rarely a conclusion, just a segue into another hook meant to bring you back.

There are both physiological and psychological aspects. Regardless of content, the flickering lights are not conducive to good rest.

Reactions: Andon

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Some good points. Binging on Netflix or just TV is different than gaming but a lot depends on the content. More and more, newer programming is also being designed to grab you and hold you. Old style stories actually worked at the exact opposite. Give the viewer closure with a happy ending. Noir wouldn't have such happy endings but it still gave closure. Modern programming is closer to the old cliffhanger serials. "Tune in next week for the exciting conclusion", except there was rarely a conclusion, just a segue into another hook meant to bring you back.

There are both physiological and psychological aspects. Regardless of content, the flickering lights are not conducive to good rest.

Very good points also. And it's not great that we have computers that fit in our palms. Just by browsing your phone in bed it's basically the same thing. I do this all the time and I know I shouldn't.

And video games are a funny conception anyway. It's basically us struggling and working towards a goal. It's just that there are no stakes. I think that's why so many people become video game addicts. They are fulfilling the need to work towards something, but they are too scared to play the game of life and actually be good at something. Escapism.

And basically things like facebook are designed exactly the same way as video games (more like slot machines). No messages or likes? Darn. Got a message or like? BINGO CLING CLING CLING CLING dopamiiiiiiiiiine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Gaming is (or can be) very high focus activity, I think you run the risk of sort of burning yourself out if you do it before you need to perform. Same if you do it too close to bed time. I think it has some potential benefits, like I'm guessing it might stimulate and exercise parts of the brain that are beneficial in hockey as well, but I think it has more potential pitfalls.

I would think it's much better to be bored on game day. Being bored is actually beneficial to human beings in many ways, and it motivates you for action. Modern day people are bored way too rarely. Basically internet killed boredom, there's always something to keep you "busy" and non-bored, like discussion on hockey forums, which doesn't really change anything or mean much... :) Playing Fortnite, you might go "holy shit, it's time to start preparing for game already!" while being bored, you would go "holy shit, FINALLY I get to start really" ... BUT I gotta say I think there's individual variation in how people respond to things, who knows, maybe Laine would be worse off if he played less Fortnite ;)

But anyway, as for Laine, he's a big boy and I don't care about his gaming habits and frankly they are not any business of his fans or "fans". Nothing he does on his freetime really is. If he does something that affects his performance in a bad way, then it's up to him to become aware of that and change it.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hard to judge him too harshly (yet) considering Scheifele and Wheeler have been far from good so far this season. He needs to pick it up soon though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hard to judge him too harshly (yet) considering Scheifele and Wheeler have been far from good so far this season. He needs to pick it up soon though.

Any thought of evaluating Laine on his own merits instead of constantly comparing him to players who although inconsistent this year are actually producing?

Reactions: libertarian

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Lots of toi tonight, half was pp. Still nothing. He's going to need a crane to lift the gorilla off his back

Kratti

Mar 16, 2006
It's the same as the beginning of last season, can't handle the puck, can't be trusted to maintain possession let alone win a contested puck or a board battle. His idea of giving pressure to an opponent is a lazy stick swipe in that player's general direction. Frankly, right now (as was the case for most of last season as well) he should not be on the playing roster if not for the world class shot that will inevitably start going in sooner or later.

What worries me is right now he seems disinterested and like he or his teammates have no confidence in his abilities. 4th line demotion was very much deserved, that's also clearly evident from Maurice's brief post game comment regarding the issue.

Last edited:

icanconfirm

Oct 18, 2015
Antarctica
If I'm Paul Maurice I consider scratching him for both games in Finland like how the Canucks benched Luongo for the heritage classic. If you aren't willing to put in the effort then you don't deserve to play. Plain and simple.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Did Buff throw his tracksuit in the shower? Is he trying to force his way out of Winnipeg? I love the guy. So talented just don't get what's going on.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
It's 90% mental. Dude needs a reset. It'll absolutely happen eventually, but in the meantime he just simply cannot be playing in the top 6 because he doesn't even look like an NHL'er right now.

He needs to catch a break and have some luck and then I'm sure things will turn around.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If I'm Paul Maurice I consider scratching him for both games in Finland like how the Canucks benched Luongo for the heritage classic. If you aren't willing to put in the effort then you don't deserve to play. Plain and simple.

What about Wheeler then. Must be tough for Laine to get demoted for poor play when the captain is sucking 2 and gets rewarded with more ice

Reactions: DashingDane

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
Dp5lXiYUUAAngKq.jpg

This is more important than mars. Make it happen Elon.

Reactions: SLAYER

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
I need to ask this. And I am already sorry but in the finnish forum someone said that Laine is a p***y and he needs to stop playing videogames and go to a bar and stop living with your mom. BUT then someone mentioned it is a fact that you must live with your mom in Canada untill you are 20-years old. Is this really true?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I need to ask this. And I am already sorry but in the finnish forum someone said that Laine is a ***** and he needs to stop playing videogames and go to a bar and stop living with your mom. BUT then someone mentioned it is a fact that you must live with your mom in Canada untill you are 20-years old. Is this really true?

Yes, it's true - but you can still go to the bar as long as you bring your mom

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It is really shocking how poorly he is playing. Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of his style of game but appreciate what he does well he does better than all but a few players in the world and has been a big part of the Jets success. Coming into his third pro season I was hoping we would see a huge improvement in his all around game. Instead, he looks like he does not even enjoy hockey.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
:laugh: Laine is struggling so much, he should be already plus 100 goals at his
2 full years and 1 month.

14lit5t.jpg

He only have 83 goals :sarcasm:

This guy since he entered the league is 36th in scoring.
Since that time he is the youngest player in the top 90 scorer.

Despite blah blah blah blah

ice time :huh: last year

deployment. Seriously
last year: 2 periods with Scheifele and wheeler, those 2 sucked that game and coach, oh its not working lets change it.
last year he was the 9th best forward
this year: 2 periods with Scheifele and wheeler, all 3 are not clicking coach lets change again,.
after this game he is 4th line Patrik Laine

I only have 1 concern with regards to Laine, him signing a bridge next year and its not out of the question.

Last edited:

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
lol dude up playing fortnite right now and its 2 am in toronto! better get that pre game nap or switch the game to nhl19 :D

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Wow cant believe a hockey player makes that kind of training where you stand on that thing and "skiing". Definitely doesnt make you quicker.

Cant believe a pro athlete trains like that. Gary Roberts would Never do those excercises.
lol kinda agree those excercises arent very hockey orientated but we only say a minute clip.. and no wonder he has no endurance hes a freaking mouth breather.. dont these guys learn in through the nose ??? the more tired you are the more crucial it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad