Patrik Laine to the devils for...?

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Severson very rarely makes bad defensive plays like that. And he more than makes up for it with what he does on a shift by shift basis.

Yes I pointed out what Laine did because we’re talking about Laine in this thread. Not Matthews. And calling those equally bad plays is ridiculous. Matthews couldn’t have done very much there at all. You first wrongly claimed that he flamingoed and then went on to completely misdescribed what actually happened on the play. Literally just trying to make up what happened on the play to fit whatever point you’re trying to make (still not sure what that is).

Nobody is asking for Laine to be an elite defensive forward like Bergeron. Laine just so happens to be on the complete opposite end of that spectrum which reasonably has a significant effect on his value and how good of a player he is. And what he is worth in a trade.

I’ll just leave it at that but but personal view is that Severson is horrible defensively and we better not hand him a LTC.

You’re over exaggerating two things here, we’ll 3 really with the Severson thing, is the strong defensive game of Matthews and the poor play of Laine.

That’s what I call a trifecta.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I’ll just leave it at that but but personal view is that Severson is horrible defensively and we better not hand him a LTC.

You’re over exaggerating two things here, we’ll 3 really with the Severson thing, is the strong defensive game of Matthews and the poor play of Laine.

That’s what I call a trifecta.
Completely disagree on Severson. Matthews is a good defensive forward and Laine is a terrible defensive forward. Not exaggerating on anything. That’s just my opinion.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
If a guy scores 40 goals how bad can his defensive game be that you still don't want him. I think his overall game and effort is way underrated here. His "bad" stretch during last three years will probably be too much to overcome for some. And I get that some of you are afraid that we end up giving valuable assets and a huge contract only to see him play like he has in the last three years.

However you don't score 80 goals in your first 155 games with luck. And even in those three lesser years, he still scored 70 goals in less than 200 games. He has a special skill that very few have in this sport. At some point he just lost his confidence, he made mistakes,got benched and lost ice time. Probably got overly careful and started to over think everything. All this at just a 20-22 year old, when most players are still mostly in the AHL and other leagues.

Right now he finally seems to play for a coach that let's him do his thing and he has adapted his game a lot as well. I really don't think Columbus wants to let him go and I don't think he wants to leave when things are finally working out again. So this debate is pointless, we aren't getting him and we don't even deserve him the way we talk about him.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Entire team was atrocious in 10-11, a lot of parallels to this year where consistency plagued them along with an inept head coach. 11-12, he was borderline a Hart trophy candidate and probably had the best Devils forward year in history up to that point by being played by DeBoer with defensemen like time on ice with having to be double shifted on the fourth line because of how DeBoer was enamored with Peter Harrold of all people. 12-13, the team had the best corsi in the league if I'm not mistaken but couldn't finish whatsoever and their goaltending duo couldn't stop a nosebleed with a 40 year old Marty and Johan Hedberg. Kovalchuk wasn't the problem in any of the years here and none of the years did we get worse defensively because of his play style. Do I think Laine will ever come close to what Kovy did in 11-12? No, but scoffing at his defensive game while completely ignoring the fact he'd be the best shot would have on the power play or even 5v5 since that game breaker Kovalchuk we had in 2011-2012 is utterly laughable. Can't say you want to have Hughes and Nico to have better wingers than scoff at arguably the best shot in the league sans Matthews and Ovy. It also allows us options with Holtz instead of banking on one guy being said sniper.

Kovalchuk scored 5 ES goals in the lockout year, how in the world is that not a disappointment? He probably played more ES time/game than any forward in the league and he scored 5 lousy goals. Kovalchuk 'couldn't finish' because the Devils had altered his game, in Atlanta he cheated for goals off the LW and barely moved in the D zone unless he was fed the puck, in NJ they stuck him on the RW and he would pressure the opposing D. And like Laine, he just didn't get enough shots at ES.

But if you think Kovalchuk had the best Devils forward year in history, better than Elias in 01 or Parise in 09, we have nothing to speak about. You're just deluded.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
If a guy scores 40 goals how bad can his defensive game be that you still don't want him.

we don't even deserve him the way we talk about him.
It’s not that we don’t want him here. It’s that his defensive game and really everything about him other than his goal scoring ability is bad and lowers his value and what he’s worth in a trade. This whole thread is about what we would be willing to give up for Laine. Not would we want him.

And okay that’s fine with me.
We’re literally just talking about his downfalls. He’s an extremely talented player and scorer but has some downfalls.

But yes this thread has definitely gone on for too long. The chances of us even talking to Columbus about a trade for him are likely less than 1%.
Unless they start looking to trade him but that is unlikely especially with the success he is having now.

Reactions: Triumph

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5