Patrik Laine to the devils for...?

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
After watching a few devils games this season and following Patrik for most of his pro career, New Jersey should trade and sign him for a long term deal.

I know Hughes; Hischier and Bratt are probably untouchable, but what about a deal around Dawson Mercer and picks?

Huges with Laine or Nico as Patriks center would be gravy and with Dougie quarterbacking the PP they would be absolutely lethal together.

Columbus are in for a rebuild and I think Mercer is the type of player they would love to aqquire, can he also play center?

Looking at capfriendly I think you have capspace to sign him long term and get this team back into the playoffs.

Reactions: mdj12784

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
He will not sign long term IMHO. Even though they will be absolute studs patty is Not sticking around and waiting for Sillinger and co to become first line centers.

Still think the devils need a pure shooter like Laine to go with those great centers you have locked up.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He will not sign long term IMHO. Even though they will be absolute studs patty is Not sticking around and waiting for Sillinger and co to become first line centers.

Still think the devils need a pure shooter like Laine to go with those great centers you have locked up.
The plan is for Holtz to be that guy when the organization says he's ready.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i remember when posters on here didn't even want to entertain the idea of bringing him here. wondering if that has changed

team needs nhl talent can't keep bringing out the garbage 3rd line fringe players next year and expect different results.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not giving up major assets for Laine. His size would be a welcomed addition to NJ but his trend line isn't going in the right direction right now in my opinion

Meaning 22 goals/45 points in his last 70 games does not instil a lot of encouragement for a guy making 7.5M who'll need a new contract in a couple of months

We have enough overpaid underachievers here.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
i remember when posters on here didn't even want to entertain the idea of bringing him here. wondering if that has changed

team needs nhl talent can't keep bringing out the garbage 3rd line fringe players next year and expect different results.
I absolutely remember that. People were laughing at the idea of not wanting to move Jesper Bratt. How does that look? Bratt is a way more complete player. Laine has a 39.5 xGF%, near the bottom of the whole NHL. Every year it seems he’s lowest on the team.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Not giving up major assets for Laine. His size would be a welcomed addition to NJ but his trend line isn't going in the right direction right now in my opinion

Meaning 22 goals/45 points in his last 70 games does not instil a lot of encouragement for a guy making 7.5M who'll need a new contract in a couple of months

We have enough overpaid underachievers here.

yeah because what we have been doing has worked out tremendous so far. lets just wait and hope holtz develops then lets wait a little longer for hughes to develop then lets wait a little longer then that for stillman to develop. keep in mind lets hope they actually develop to their draft potential +. i'm not saying to get laline i don't care. all i'm saying is this team needs LEGIT nhl talent whoever that might be. if you don't want to pay the price come ufa for fear of "age" or term ok then the other way is through trade but you aren't going to be willing to pay the price to land that type of talent either so i guess we will continue to draft and try to develop as nico inches ever closer to the dreaded age of 28

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
yeah because what we have been doing has worked out tremendous so far. lets just wait and hope holtz develops then lets wait a little longer for hughes to develop then lets wait a little longer then that for stillman to develop. keep in mind lets hope they actually develop to their draft potential +. i'm not saying to get laline i don't care. all i'm saying is this team needs LEGIT nhl talent whoever that might be. if you don't want to pay the price come ufa for fear of "age" or term ok then the other way is through trade but you aren't going to be willing to pay the price to land that type of talent either so i guess we will continue to draft and try to develop as nico inches ever closer to the dreaded age of 28
I 100% agree with you that we need legit NHL talent...

But what are we giving up for me what appears to be a player trending down? A moody high maintenance player that is trending down currently making 7.5 million who needs a new contract?

Seems like a very muddy situation to wade through... especially for an unstable club like this one.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
IMHO he is having a bouncback season, got of to a great started out with 2 month abdomina injury and his father died, now he is back on track and has rounded out his 200ft game.

Patrik will never defend like Mark Stone or skate like Niko Kapanen, but he will get you 40 goals with a top center a quality righthanded quarterback.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I absolutely remember that. People were laughing at the idea of not wanting to move Jesper Bratt. How does that look? Bratt is a way more complete player. Laine has a 39.5 xGF%, near the bottom of the whole NHL. Every year it seems he’s lowest on the team.

from what i read on here the devils must have the most complete two way 200ft players in the nhl on this roster and yet we are where we are.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
from what i read on here the devils must have the most complete two way 200ft players in the nhl on this roster and yet we are where we are.

I think a Laine move would be an offseason move. I would think Columbus will try to extend him before they actually look to move him. He's had a solid bounce back season from a scoring standpoint. It would be nice to have him but I think the trick would be adding him to what they have on the roster that they want to keep (he should play with Bratt rather than trade Bratt for him) and getting some value in the trade with at least one subsidiary roster piece going back to Columbus, whether a Sharangovich, Zacha, or whoever to cut the primary piece from an unprotected first to some sort of protected first.

Reactions: glenwo2

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I'd love Laine on the Devils, but there is no way I'd want to pay the price.
I wouldn't want to include Mercer, Holtz, Hughes or our 1st and I can't imagine CBJ would want to do anything that didn't include them.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1