Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - Part 20'ish or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So Laine assists literally mean nothing?

Of course they mean something. Back in November when he was making the opposing goal area look like a section of Amsterdam, nobody cared about his paltry assists total. The slump talk has always been about his goal scoring.

Come on. He's racking up points and playing well.

I agree. Just worried he's going to start messing with his own head again over missed opportunities. He's a fragile boy, you know. :nod:

Reactions: Tommigun

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If Laine can ever get stronger on his stick, he'll be a world beater.
Agree, and the encouraging thing is that I'm starting to see him win more and more board / puck battles these days. Once he wins them consistently he will become a formidable power forward.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Agree, and the encouraging thing is that I'm starting to see him win more and more board / puck battles these days. Once he wins them consistently he will become a formidable power forward.
It came to my attention last night during the game overhearing conversations, that people have unrealistic unexpectations about laine and his board battles. I don’t think he lost any more board battles than anyone else last night but people groaned “Laine” every time it happened. Not a single word about wheelers incredible brain farts or lost possession or Scheifele falling down in the corner and losing possession.

I thought over all laine did a pretty good job on board battles, surely as good as most did last night, but everyone around me only complained out loud when Patrik did it.

I agree with you Whileee that this will be awesome as he gets better in this area but for many, The expectations are way out of whack for this kid.

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
It came to my attention last night during the game overhearing conversations, that people have unrealistic unexpectations about laine and his board battles. I don’t think he lost any more board battles than anyone else last night but people groaned “Laine” every time it happened. Not a single word about wheelers incredible brain farts or lost possession or Scheifele falling down in the corner and losing possession.

I thought over all laine did a pretty good job on board battles, surely as good as most did last night, but everyone around me only complained out loud when Patrik did it.

I agree with you Whileee that this will be awesome as he gets better in this area but for many, The expectations are way out of whack for this kid.

People are going to notice his losses more cause how bad he was earlier this year.

Kinda like Buff's failed wrap around.

He has improved now that he's actually working harder. I'm sure the "expectations" will level off over time if continues with the better overall play. I'm not too worried about that, unless he starts to float and not battle again.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
People are going to notice his losses more cause how bad he was earlier this year.

Kinda like Buff's failed wrap around.

He has improved now that he's actually working harder. I'm sure the "expectations" will level off over time if continues with the better overall play. I'm not too worried about that, unless he starts to float and not battle again.

I agree completely. Just an observation. :)

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Once there’s a reputation, even if you’re not doing it anymore, it’s very hard to shake. People’s perceptions tend to linger long after the fact.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Patrik Laine. One moment in a season 18+1 and couldn't score an assist no matter what, but a goal or hatty every now and then. Another moment and he couldn't score anything at all for few months and was drifting at the lost coasts... now he seems to be developing to a sort of mean clean assist machine making plays and feeds (and actually getting also credits for that measured in points).

It's unwise to write him off from any considerations and scenarios, what ever form his game might be in. The man is just one big terra incognita in his career activities.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013

I am starting to think Laine will never be a "power forward" in the true sense of the word. He is such a finesse player. You are seeing him feed Wheeler these cute little saucer passes and the way he splits the seam with a snapshot-pass is really impressive. His toe drag tonight was ridiculous....I think Laine at his best is a Malkin-esque player. Very smooth.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I am starting to think Laine will never be a "power forward" in the true sense of the word. He is such a finesse player. You are seeing him feed Wheeler these cute little saucer passes and the way he splits the seam with a snapshot-pass is really impressive. His toe drag tonight was ridiculous....I think Laine at his best is a Malkin-esque player. Very smooth.

Patty has been always very capable of making those, but now with Chief and Wheels (them being in goal scoring mode) he actually gets some measurable contribution from his playmaking and passing. Patty's sights are slightly off, but it doesn't matter if the line learns a new passing pattern leading to goals scored: Laine -> post(or bar)/rebound -> Wheeler/Chief -> Goal.

How many posts Patrik have this season? If those all clings, pings and klanks would be counted as SOGs, his S% would be really ugly for this season, I presume something <12%.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Pretty sure there are rules against posting p***ography on this site.

But since you asked nicely.

Even had the audacity to hit the post after, the dirty little tease.

If he tried that a month ago that Bruins player would have taken the puck for a turnover. And Laine DID lose the puck on another toe drag attempt, but that was in the O-zone and he was able to help D cover that attack himself.
But it shows well that now he has just a bit more speed when dangling he's a lot more succesful pulling them off. Confidence has a big impact.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
What kinda monster there is brewing under the jersey when Patrik feels confident. Magical moves, gives great passes when his scoring is not going. No soup for you, opponents. You need to give me my space or I make Wheeler score. He's not the only one who can pass the sauce.
Yes, Laine´s play is all about confidence right now. I think when he gets older he will be more confident and we will se a more consistent player. Lock him up now before he gets too expensive!

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, Laine´s play is all about confidence right now. I think when he gets older he will be more confident and we will se a more consistent player. Lock him up now before he gets too expensive!
Home psych like me would think in a way that he's had his adjustments. As very young he was (moody), after then he rocketed and dominated juniors even "lesser" men. Then he came to the NHL and was care free and still so raw. Few seasons he was like he didn't really know that he was playing in NHL, not in Finland. Just pure skill shining through. And this season he's been good at times, but when now this, he's been a scoring slumb because he didn't have confidence and opponents too cheated a bit.

I could be wrong, but this might be just what he needed. Patrik face to face with a goaltender. And scheif or wheels at the back door open. The goalie and defence can't just block both options with our talent. Patrik is a good passer and when the shot does heat up, it's really deadly compination.

And as this post is as long as a church speech, I do think the timing is very good. That's what we want from the first line when games really start to matter more and more. If Laine doesn't score much in the rest season but keeps building confidence, playoff Patrik could be scary... and the thing, let's get this beast contained to our roster. He has the tools, just takes time to mature when struggling. (sorry to melt your eyes with tl;dr :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad