Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - Part 20'ish or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Interesting - thanks
Do you have the breakdown last season, ie; how much time did the line play with and w/o KC

611min with Connor 29GF 23GA
214 without Connor 15GF 8GA

CSW scoring rate was pretty poor 2.85GF/60 2.26GA/60
compared to
Ehlers-*****-Laine 3.22GF/60 2.39GA/60

Playoffs:
CSW 2.59GF/60 2.01GA/60 (209min)
******-Stastny-Laine 3.39GF/60 1.98GA/60 (212min)

Reactions: 1OApick

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
611min with Connor 29GF 23GA
214 without Connor 15GF 8GA

CSW scoring rate was pretty poor 2.85GF/60 2.26GA/60
compared to
Ehlers-*****-Laine 3.22GF/60 2.39GA/60

Playoffs:
CSW 2.59GF/60 2.01GA/60 (209min)
******-Stastny-Laine 3.39GF/60 1.98GA/60 (212min)

When you consider what you could potentially have with line 2 (Laine / Hayes / Ehlers), this might be worth trying. See the Scheif thread for more on that.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
When you consider what you could potentially have with line 2 (Laine / Hayes / Ehlers), this might be worth trying. See the Scheif thread for more on that.

If they do any swapping I think it’s Ehlers who should go back to the first line as he was tearing it up there before he got hurt.
But he’s also really good with Hayes so I don’t know... Still, I agree with you that they should try Laine with Hayes before the playoffs, but it could be tough on Laine to be “demoted” when he’s in my opinion been playing very well on the first line. Wouldn’t want to rock his fragile canoe too much before the playoffs ,)

Get Bengt

Forging a Stanley Cup champ 1 whiny post at a time
Mar 31, 2018
Winnipeg
I love stats. And Ehlers, for that matter.

But any stat that conflicts with my eye test - which reports that our top line is now (or will be, once 55 is malaise-free) one of the best in the league - will be met with deep suspicion.

Feb 4, 2017
Stockholm
I mostly consume recaps, interviews and articles, night games are though for us in Europe. But yas, it seems like we are doing well and there is a lot of optimism going on while we are slowly moving towarda the POs :) exciting times a head. Patty doing well makes a big impact

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
If they do any swapping I think it’s Ehlers who should go back to the first line as he was tearing it up there before he got hurt.
But he’s also really good with Hayes so I don’t know... Still, I agree with you that they should try Laine with Hayes before the playoffs, but it could be tough on Laine to be “demoted” when he’s in my opinion been playing very well on the first line. Wouldn’t want to rock his fragile canoe too much before the playoffs ,)
I would also like to know what we have in Laine and Hayes, but having him on the first line now is more more important from a development point of view. I want Laine to meet the best opponents as much as possible before the Play Offs start, and get as comfortable as possible in that role so that he can shoulder the expectations that are set upon a top line scorer in the PO

Reactions: Ippenator

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
What does this guy get paid? Has to be a two year show me contract no?

Has to be? No.

Might be? Everything is possible, always.

Should be? Only if Chevy is dumb.

Every time this guy has been given prime opportunity and decent TOI, he has delivered. Even on his worst season so far. For sure Chevy can offer him 2 year contract with say M6+ AAV, but he most likely has to pay M10+ next time to compensate.

Had Chevy been wise last summer, he had already paid Laine 8x8 or 8,5x8, which is the long contract he said he would like to sign.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I think that a line of Laine/Hayes/Ehlers might end up being our top line over CSW, especially current play taken into account.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Has to be? No.

Every time this guy has been given prime opportunity and decent TOI, he has delivered. Even on his worst season so far. For sure Chevy can offer him 2 year contract with say M6+ AAV, but he most likely has to pay M10+ next time to compensate.

Had Chevy been wise last summer, he had already paid Laine 8x8 or 8,5x8, which is the long contract he said he would like to sign.

8x8 would be a steal imo. At least 2 years younger than any other member of the team..... we have to remember this.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Has to be? No.

So asking again. What does he get paid?

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
So asking again. What does he get paid?

Depends a lot of the type of the contract, but I guess it has to be between 8 and 10.

I am sceptical that Laine will accept two year "show me" contract (at 6+ millions), unless he can be sure about his utilization so that he isn't sandbagged anymore. In that case, I am pretty sure there will be offer sheets by other teams.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Untbapw.png

The most difficult 30+ games stint of Patrik's NHL career this far, by far, and by almost all metrics.

Last summer I made pessimistic prediction of "Clear off-year for Patty. 30-32 Goals" that I did have to start correct myself after his miraculous november. Now it seems that the original prediction wasn't that far off after all.

I'm happy if he makes it to that lousy 32 goals this season.

SOG/GP currently: 3.22 (when it was over 4 SOG/GP)
Pace currently for 34-35 G/season (82GP) when it was at best over 70G/season (82GP)
Shooting percentages have been in dramatical half-season long decline...

Luckily lately there have been some clear improvements in his game's overall quality, at least by eye-test.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
With Ehlers on the top line and Laine on the second line we’d have two number one lines though.

1st line needs to play 1st line minutes or at least 1st lineish minutes. Has not happened under Maurice, and I guess will not happen. He is stuck into his odd and bad habits with TOI distribution, which is sad.

Reactions: DashingDane

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Laine now 6 games without a goal. Looks like another slump has started. Or maybe it's the same slump and those 3 games at the end of February were just a glitch due to the Ehlers Effect.

Reactions: behemolari

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Laine now 6 games without a goal. Looks like another slump has started. Or maybe it's the same slump and those 3 games at the end of February were just a glitch due to the Ehlers Effect.
Could not care less about goals at this moment. He's finally engaged and making quicker decisions. He's even been decent in traffic lately. Using his body more. Making lots happen with his passing. Goals will come.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Could not care less about goals at this moment. He's finally engaged and making quicker decisions. He's even been decent in traffic lately. Using his body more. Making lots happen with his passing. Goals will come.

Yes, patience is key here. We just need to understand how young he is. We want him to be one of the best overall players in the game....... at 20.

I keep saying this but wait until he is as old as the next youngest players on the team are currently. KC/Ehlers/Roslovic are all 2 years older than him. Does anyone doubt that Laine is going to be a far superior player after two more seasons, than any of those three are currently?

Cue the expectations Ketchup commercial for those of you old enough to remember...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad