Player Discussion: Patrik Laine (mod warning in post #150)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I understand but that was quite the exaggeration.

He scored 44 goals as a 19 year old. The hell do you expect? A hart and rocket trophy already. Have a tad bit of patience.

It really wasn't if the season ends in early April.

I guess you've missed these threads? We are talking skating here.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I will tell a little bedtime story:

Once upon a time there was a wealthy guy whom bought his own jet. But unfortunately he got disappointed in his plane, as it’s afterburners we’re not very powerful so he couldn’t fly with his jet with much more speed than Mach 1.

The guy was also reading HFboards and found from there some talks about how you need to just get lessons of how to technically skate better to become a clearly quicker and faster skater. So he was right away enthusiastic, now he would know how he could also make his plane much faster and most probably could be soon flying with at least the speed of Mach 2. So he went and hired one of the most qualified pilots in the world to be his flight instructor. He did weeks and weeks of extremely expensive lessons and practicing of great flying skills and then went again to finally test his beloved little jet.

But oh, what a sour disappointment it was, because he still couldn’t fly any faster than he did before. He could make nice loops with the plain and all fun tricks, but goddamn, every time when he tested his jet’s acceleration and speed, it was exactly the same as it was before his expensive flying lessons. So he went after all quickly back to his masterful flight instructor and said angrily to him: “Your lessons are absolutely good for nothing, my jet is not any faster than before even though I took all of those numerous extremely expensive flying lessons from you - I think I want my money back!” The flight instructor exploded into laughter and said: “Oh, my dear friend, you must have been reading HFboards, as I don’t know how otherwise you would never understand that if you want your jet to fly with much better acceleration and top speed, my lessons will be no help for you. Dude, you simply need to get much more powerful afterburners to your little jet.”

So the wealthy guy went after all and hired a top class engineer to modify his little jet’s afterburners so that they became twice as powerful as before, and then he went to a test flight again. Of course now he could immediately reach the top speed with clearly over Mach 2 and now also his plane’s acceleration was enormously better than before. So now the wealthy guy had the faster jet that he had always dreamed of and now he also learned his ultimate lesson: “Read HFboards with extra caution.”

And since that the wealthy guy and his little jet lived happily ever after for the rest of their lives. Good night. :)

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Stop and go is stamina? Huh?
It’s an extremely important part of it. If your legs don’t have good enough stamina, your legs will become way too quickly tired in the very demanding stop and go play. Simple physics and biology again.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So you think he doesn’t skate till opening night?

Well if you believe the articles he doesn't skate for months, and he himself called himself out on his skating at the start of season. He was in bad skating shape.

I don't know why you wouldn't skate in the summers, to atleast keep the touch so you don't have to spent half the season to try to regain it, and/or skate to improve as a skater on top of off ice training.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
So you think he doesn’t skate till opening night?
He even skated last season a few weeks before the season started. I mean already relatively soon after he had finished the intensive training with Rautala’s group. That happened already when he was still in Finland. Some people are really seriously overreacting to his training methods unfortunately.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It’s an extremely important part of it. If your legs don’t have good enough stamina, your legs will become way too quickly tired in the very demanding stop and go play. Simple physics and biology again.

I would think agility was the key but what do us North Americans know...

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I would think agility was the key but what do us North Americans know...
Part of it too. But more important for it is still to have great acceleration and good stamina. Otherwise you will be skating with stiff legs already after a couple of stop and go plays.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Part of it too. But more important for it is still to have great acceleration and good stamina. Otherwise you will be skating with stiff legs already after a couple of stop and go plays.

You must be one of the best certified personal trainers in Europe.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Stop and go is stamina? Huh?

Beats me - but from my experience, stops and starts were a great way to wear out a hockey player in less than 2 minutes.

I'm still trying to figure out why we are discussing skating fundamentals (like stop and go) and NHL players in the same breath.
You would think that this stuff would have been figured out at an earlier point in his growth - well in advance of this level of hockey and way in advance of potentially handing the kid 80 to 100 million $'s (roughly).

IMO, Laine's skating is a legit concern and topic of discussion - one that will likely have varying points of view.
I am confident in stating that his skating should be a lot better than it is right now - and that allows me to question his training - past, present, and future, regardless of my credentials.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I will tell a little bedtime story:

Once upon a time there was a wealthy guy whom bought his own jet. But unfortunately he got disappointed in his plane, as it’s afterburners we’re not very powerful so he couldn’t fly with his jet with much more speed than Mach 1.

The guy was also reading HFboards and found from there some talks about how you need to just get lessons of how to technically skate better to become a clearly quicker and faster skater. So he was right away enthusiastic, now he would know how he could also make his plane much faster and most probably could be soon flying with at least the speed of Mach 2. So he went and hired one of the most qualified pilots in the world to be his flight instructor. He did weeks and weeks of extremely expensive lessons and practicing of great flying skills and then went again to finally test his beloved little jet.

But oh, what a sour disappointment it was, because he still couldn’t fly any faster than he did before. He could make nice loops with the plain and all fun tricks, but goddamn, every time when he tested his jet’s acceleration and speed, it was exactly the same as it was before his expensive flying lessons. So he went after all quickly back to his masterful flight instructor and said angrily to him: “Your lessons are absolutely good for nothing, my jet is not any faster than before even though I took all of those numerous extremely expensive flying lessons from you - I think I want my money back!” The flight instructor exploded into laughter and said: “Oh, my dear friend, you must have been reading HFboards, as I don’t know how otherwise you would never understand that if you want your jet to fly with much better acceleration and top speed, my lessons will be no help for you. Dude, you simply need to get much more powerful afterburners to your little jet.”

So the wealthy guy went after all and hired a top class engineer to modify his little jet’s afterburners so that they became twice as powerful as before, and then he went to a test flight again. Of course now he could immediately reach the top speed with clearly over Mach 2 and now also his plane’s acceleration was enormously better than before. So now the wealthy guy had the faster jet that he had always dreamed of and now he also learned his ultimate lesson: “Read HFboards with extra caution.”

And since that the wealthy guy and his little jet lived happily ever after for the rest of their lives. Good night. :)
Then there was the story about the guy that got a powerful jet, but didn't know how to fly it well...

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Beats me - but from my experience, stops and starts were a great way to wear out a hockey player in less than 2 minutes.

I'm still trying to figure out why we are discussing skating fundamentals (like stop and go) and NHL players in the same breath.
You would think that this stuff would have been figured out at an earlier point in his growth - well in advance of this level of hockey and way in advance of potentially handing the kid 80 to 100 million $'s (roughly).

IMO, Laine's skating is a legit concern and topic of discussion - one that will likely have varying points of view.
I am confident in stating that his skating should be a lot better than it is right now - and that allows me to question his training - past, present, and future, regardless of my credentials.
Check the history of guys of his size. How many of them had the same kind of issues that he has had so far. You will find that almost all players that have been 6’4 or taller have had to go through pretty much the same things. They are not ready with the amounts of the fast twitch muscle cells yet at that age, as in general bigger people with longer muscles tend to have less the fast twitch muscles than shorter or more average sized people.

And once again what so many people seem to constantly forget is that Laine had a pretty serious knee injury only three years ago. It took him about a year to recover his legs to even to the level that they were with the strength before the injury. There are always individual paths for player development.

Anyway, can you please explain me how he could be faster than everyone else than 5 of the most well known speedster skaters at two separate NHL all star skating competitions. From 2015-2016 season’s competition only Larkin had a faster time than Laine. And Larkins’s time was in fact faster than Mcdavid’s time in the 2016-2017 competition where also Laine was after all the 4th fastest after McDavid, Kucherov, Trochek and Atkinson and he left behind him from the 2015-2016 competition a skater like Erik Karlsson by a margin of over a second. He also beat from that years competition Hall, Duchene, Letang and everyone else from that year except Larkin. And he beat clearly MacKinnon also in his all star skating competition. So Laine beat many well known skaters from both competitions and he beat them clean and clearly. So how did he do it if he is such a terrible skater? With pure luck? :sarcasm:

Well, the reason is exactly that he is not otherwise at all a bad skater, until we come down to his first steps, stamina and through them to his stop and go play. And this a thing that big sized players can always improve with hard training for gaining more of those much needed fast twitch muscle cells to their legs. It just takes a lot of hard training and also some time to improve it. People are just plain impatient here. And I think that it partially has to do with some pretty unrealistic expectations right from the start. Then when he couldn’t after all answer to the expectations that some people had for him, now people want to blame Laine for it. Even when he had already two incredible seasons for an 18 and 19 year old. A bit sad and even tiring honestly.

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Check the history of guys of his size. How many of them had the same kind of issues that he has had so far. You will find that almost all players that have been 6’4 or taller have had to go through pretty much the same things. They are not ready with the amounts of the fast twitch muscle cells yet at that age, as in general bigger people with longer muscles tend to have less the fast twitch muscles than shorter or more average sized people.

And once again what so many people seem to constantly forget is that Laine had a pretty serious knee injury only three years ago. It took him about a year to recover his legs to even to the level that they were with the strength before the injury. There are always individual paths for player development.

Anyway, can you please explain me how he could be faster than everyone else than 4 of the most well known speedster skaters at two separate NHL all star skating competitions. From 2015-2016 season’s competition only Larkin had a faster time than Laine. And Larkins’s time was in fact faster than Mcdavid’s time in the 2016-2017 competition where also Laine was after all the 4th fastest after McDavid, Kucherov and Atkinson and he left behind him from the 2015-2016 competition a skater like Erik Karlsson by a margin of over a second. And he beat clearly MacKinnon also in his all star skating competition. He beat also many other well known skaters from both competitions and he beat them clean and clearly. So how did he do it if he is such a terrible skater? With pure luck? :sarcasm:

Well, the reason is exactly that he is not otherwise at all a bad skater, until we come down to his first steps, stamina and through them to his stop and go play. And this a thing that big sized players can always improve with hard training for gaining more of those much needed fast twitch muscle cells to their legs. It just takes a lot of hard training and also some time to improve it. People are just plain impatient here. And I think that it partially has to do with some pretty unrealistic expectations right from the start. Then when he couldn’t after all answer to the expectations that some people had for him, now people want to blame Laine for it. Even when he had already two incredible seasons for an 18 and 19 year old. A bit sad and even tiring honestly.
What are twitch muscle cells

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
What are twitch muscle cells
Well ok, I guess in English I should use the word “fiber” instead of the word ”cell”. In Finnish we call the equavalent thing as the ”fast muscle cell”, so that is probably why I used cell instead of fiber.

Last edited:
Reactions: ffh

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Well ok, I guess in English I should use the word “fiber” instead of the word ”cell”. In Finnish we call the equavalent thing as the ”fast muscle cell”, so that is probably why I used cell instead of fiber.
Can you tell me what you mean by twitch

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He even skated last season a few weeks before the season started. I mean already relatively soon after he had finished the intensive training with Rautala’s group. That happened already when he was still in Finland. Some people are really seriously overreacting to his training methods unfortunately.

Did he or did he not call himself out on his shape at the start of season, did it or did it not take months for him to feel lighter on his feet?

You've completely failed to explain with all of your posts how adding skating to his off ice training is pointless, as you said it to be.
If you want to be an elite skater, you better skate as well. I guess you'd advice Laine to beat Bolt without practising running, "just hit the weights boy".

Laine has trouble with winning puck races, creating space& being out of shape as you say.
These are due to skating, and not those linemates excuses.

Laine isn't the weakest guy in the league, he shouldn't just focus on off ice training.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Did he or did he not call himself out on his shape at the start of season, did it or did it not take months for him to feel lighter on his feet?

You've completely failed to explain with all of your posts how adding skating to his off ice training is pointless, as you said it to be.
If you want to be an elite skater, you better skate as well. I guess you'd advice Laine to beat Bolt without practising running, "just hit the weights boy".

Laine has trouble with winning puck races, creating space& being out of shape as you say.
These are due to skating, and not those linemates excuses.

Laine isn't the weakest guy in the league, he shouldn't just focus on off ice training.
Sigh. I’m not going to explain you everything all over again. Please don’t reply to my posts on this subject and I won’t to yours. We just clearly disagree, so no use to continue it with you.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sigh. I’m not going to explain you everything all over again. Please don’t reply to my posts ok this subject and I won’t to yours. We just clearly disagree, so no use to continue it with you.

Because you haven't explained anything, you just go on and on without saying anything.
"Skating is pointless" is just something else.

But yes let's move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad