Patrik Laine is going to blow the roof off NWA & Hockey in Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
To this day I think people still believe we gave up two first round picks and top prospects for Duchene.

Davidsson was a middle tier guy with upside. Abramov was a massive boom/bust player (and it’s not looking good for either player), and we only gave up one first rounder. Other than the first, we stole Duchene.

I agree with your take. Tendency has always been to value the draft position over the result. In this case giving up 3rd rounder Vitaly and 6th rounder Davidsson & a first for deadline Duschene wasn't terrible at the time. Could have been so much better if he had signed for us.

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
When Torts came to NYR he took Drury and pretty much ruined his game. he went from 37 goals with Buffalo to 14 goals with NYR in 3 years. Some good coaching there!

Grind and dump and chase game is so like 1985.
Consdering Torts coached him one full season when Drury was 33, and he stopped playing after 24 games the next year, I am gonna say Torts had nothing to do with that.

Also two years after Drury's last full season, Torts had the Rangers in the conference finals.

That is some good coaching there.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Just listened podcast where Antti Mäkinen (finnish sportscaster) and Kimmo Timonen were discussing about Laine. They said that Laine still plays like he did in WPG, for example when attacking he used to be the guy who first accelerated full speed and then in the neutral zone got the puck and did zone entries. Also when defending, his only job was to make sure that d-man behind him didn't score, that was the only job. So it's just about learning new play style, that's all.

Timonen also asked Mäkinen that how do you think Laine will take this benching (Mäkinen knows Laine personally really well) and he replied that he will take it with 100% confidence. And he also mentioned that people who don't know him will think that he'll get pissed and angry to Torts but that's just bs. Laine will listen and learn everything Torts says. And Mäkinen also said (didn't want to say more but he has obviously some information) that he can still see that injury affecting his game a bit. So learning new game style + injury affecting atleast a bit. It will get better.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Thought his feet looked a lot better last game. When he gets his wrist shot back and stops bobbling the pucks it’s going to be great.

The only game he played for the Jets this year (before his injury) was one of the most dominant I have seen in the NHL. He singlehandedly won that game for the Jets. Can’t wait until he gets back to that level and intensity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Laine can shoot the puck from the blue line and you can’t see the puck in slow motion!

Laine has the most accurate laser I ever seen but that shot by Panarin was invisible. I’d be afraid to get in front of Laine’s shot if I could see it, the one Panarin shot I would have just stood there still waiting for him to shot.

Reactions: behemolari

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Laine has the most accurate laser I ever seen but that shot by Panarin was invisible. I’d be afraid to get in front of Laine’s shot if I could see it, the one Panarin shot I would have just stood there still waiting for him to shot.
Nice shot but not even close to Laine.

Reactions: behemolari

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
Some takes from Laine´s recent interview in a Finnish newspaper

- Torts is as honest as a guy can be. He does everything to make the team win. That´s about all a player can ask for
- There is a big difference in the way CBJ and WPG plays, both defence and offence.
- Laine feels he sometimes tends to play some situtations on the ice the way the Jets did and gets lost on the ice
- Laine says the adjustments to the new system has not been easy and the more he has to think about how he should play the game slows down. When the decisions start coming naturally his game will improve.
- Laine has really liked his time so far in the CBJ. He thinks everybody is a top notch guy
- He thinks the Laine-Roslovic-Atkinson line will be good once they start building some chemisty and Laine gets more used to the CBJ system
- He says his production will go up significantly once he gets more used to the CBJ game -> gets more scoring chances ->starts shooting more

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
When Torts came to NYR he took Drury and pretty much ruined his game. he went from 37 goals with Buffalo to 14 goals with NYR in 3 years. Some good coaching there!

Grind and dump and chase game is so like 1985.

I was immediately thinking Ted reading your post

I think this was quite impressive.

At least the beard was more than bread

Last edited:
Reactions: HHel

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I think this was quite impressive.

In that goal it's a 2-on-5 (+goalie) attack by Laine & Stastny. You are not supposed to score 2-on-5.

But as for the shot, how about that one against Panthers in Helsinki? That puck just teleports to the top left corner, pure magic:

Also those shots on the second Helsinki game hatrick are not too bad. You need to understand the emotional release as Laine who actually started the season playing very well was buried by Maurice into the 2nd, then 3rd and even into the 4th line as a total BS move by Maurice. In the power play at Helsinki Laine got it going as a 4th line player. Even if he was not promoted to the 1st line afterwards, at least he got to play with the 2nd line and like 17 minutes a game and no more like 13 minutes per game.

It was the first quarter of the 18-19 season which kind of was the final straw that broke the camels back for Laine and the Jets started slowly losing him. Talent needs to be used. Use it or lose it. That happened to Laine and Roslovic in the Jets. Stupid management and coaching did lead to that.

HHel

Feb 26, 2018
It was the first quarter of the 18-19 season which kind of was the final straw that broke the camels back for Laine and the Jets started slowly losing him. Talent needs to be used. Use it or lose it. That happened to Laine and Roslovic in the Jets. Stupid management and coaching did lead to that.
Yeah, I agree.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Laine fans need to read the room, and this Panarin sub-topic is the perfect example.

1) Not everything is about the slapper or the laser. The wizardry of the #9 goal is that you didn’t even know he’d taken it.

2) The sub-topic began with a poster making the point that Panarin scored a huge goal FOR THE JACKETS. Fans of the player only might not care but those of us who are fans of the team, about which this part of the message board is about, do. Of course, we hope #29 is here a good long time and scores a bunch of playoff winners for the CBJ, but it’s early yet and silly to act otherwise.

Last edited:

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Laine fans need to read the room, and this Panarin sub-topic is the perfect example.

1) Not everything is about the slapper or the laser. The wizardry of the #9 goal is that you didn’t even know he’d taken it.

2) The sub-topic began with a poster making the point that Panarin scored a huge goal FOR THE JACKETS. Fans of the player only might not care but those of us who are fans of the team, about which this part of the message board is about, do. Of course, we hope #29 is here a good long time and scored a bunch of playoff winners for the CBJ, but it’s early yet and silly to act otherwise.
Are you implying my - or anyone’s - rights to post here and what to post about and how to post are limited if I don’t care at all if CBJ wins hockey games?

Reactions: Kratti

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Are you implying my - or anyone’s - rights to post here and what to post about and how to post are limited if I don’t care at all if CBJ wins hockey games?

Setting aside the notion of ‘rights,’ which are not applicable here - my answer to the spirit of your question is ‘no,’ with some caveats, that posts should be on-topic and not violate site rules.

If the meaning of ‘read the room’ is lost in cultural translation, then I’m happy to explain its meaning.

Reactions: Stubu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad