Patrik Laine is going to blow the roof off NWA & Hockey in Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
I see this as a "Domi-Selänne" situation where Tie Domi had some practice brawls with Teemu.

Now Max could give some practice to another finnish sniper to continue his father's legacy. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Tepponumminen27

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
So next summer some training with Amirkhani? :D

That would work while doing his Turku summer training. Those two actually share some qualities on the mental side of things as well such as their confidence and saying things how they are. Sometimes being even too honest about things lol, but that's one part that makes them interesting athletes.

Reactions: Garbox

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
According to Antti Mäkinen who is close to Patrik he is stil playing with the same injury that kept him out until the trade to Columbus. He does not look 100% to me.

As I’ve said before, that first game of the season (and only game) he played for Winnipeg was one of the most dominant games I’ve seen in the NHL.

It’s a shame he got injured. When he fully heals - look out!!!

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
As I’ve said before, that first game of the season (and only game) he played for Winnipeg was one of the most dominant games I’ve seen in the NHL.

I would respond that we have waited 20 years for a true sniper... but this is a shortened season so tape it up and make some cheese.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
He's gonna have to increase his shot production if he wants to keep scoring goals. Can't shoot 40% the whole season.
This. Laine is a prime threat and covered as such. He will have to up his own game. It is still early days for Laine in Columbus because there is so little time to practice during the condenced season and hopefully he has bought into learning the Torts way. But the clock is ticking on establishing himself offensively as well. He has scored enough points but the number of shots he has taken is a real concern and considering the sample sizes I think it is more telling than the points at this point. I think it is not completely unrealistic to expect Laine to shoot in the best bracket of the best snipers but even so 40 goals during a proper season takes many shots every game. And I expect more than 40 a year from him during his prime which he should be entering right about now. Yes, I know 40 is a lot. I expect more :)

traffic cone

May 12, 2011

If*

That back injury could prevent him from ever reaching his potential.

Reactions: hn777

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
If*

That is a concern for sure, as his entire third season shows. Reports are saying he’s still playing injured and it really shows in his game. It’s concerning that his back only lasted for one (fantastic) game this season — here’s hoping this was a fluke and he recovers quickly!

Reactions: hn777

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's gonna have to increase his shot production if he wants to keep scoring goals. Can't shoot 40% the whole season.

It's going to be hard to get his shot volume up playing across from Cam Atkinson. Whatever line he is on Cam is going to be the primary shooter. Cam and Patty both do a lot of one-and-done shot attempts and no one on that line is that good at winning the puck back in the corners. So there's just not a lot of pucks going to Patty.

While they're hot I'm fine with keeping them on the same line but eventually I want to change things up. The simplest fix is to switch Bjorkstrand and Cam. Like Cam, Bjorky is a great shooter but he also has vision and is a great puck retriever. That means more pucks for Patty.

If*

I've been hoping that some maturity and better training will help. Supposedly Patty's training last offseason with Barkov was clearly his best training yet. Sometimes young guys need a couple great offseasons like that to really figure out what works best for them, not just for peak performance but also injury prevention.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Whatever line he is on Cam is going to be the primary shooter. Cam and Patty both do a lot of one-and-done shot attempts and no one on that line is that good at winning the puck back in the corners. So there's just not a lot of pucks going to Patty.

While they're hot I'm fine with keeping them on the same line but eventually I want to change things up. The simplest fix is to switch Bjorkstrand and Cam. Like Cam, Bjorky is a great shooter but he also has vision and is a great puck retriever. That means more pucks for Patty.

This is true but will it actually improve under Bjorkstrand? I will say Bjork has done better this year at getting others involved rather than blasting away, but I don't see it being a massive improvement over Cam either.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is true but will it actually improve under Bjorkstrand? I will say Bjork has done better this year at getting others involved rather than blasting away, but I don't see it being a massive improvement over Cam either.

Would Bjorkstrand be a massive improvement over Cam as a linemate for Laine? Yes, yes he would be. He's our best forward. He's infinitely better than Cam at winning pucks back and he has the puck control and vision to buy time and make plays if he wants to. Laine isn't getting setup by Cam unless one of Cam's rebounds happens to land on his stick.

Last edited:

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Would Bjorkstrand be a massive improvement over Cam as a linemate for Laine? Yes, yes he would be. He's our best forward. He's infinitely better than Cam at winning pucks back and he has the puck control and vision to buy time and make plays if he wants to. Laine isn't getting setup by Cam unless one of Cam's rebounds happens to land on his stick.
Agreed.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
And I would change Domi to Roslovic. And if Torts wouldn't change Stenlund's line maybe it would be interested to change Cam with Jenner or Grigo. AlthoughBoone isn't a playmaker he is very good in backcheching and forcheking, he probably wouldn't overexpose the puck. Grigo is a good playmaker. IMHO Jack would play better with Foligno than Laine.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Optimist: The glass is half full.
Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Engineer: The glass was incorrectly specified for volume.
Humanist: It's only water?
Correct: Half full when it's in the process of being filled, half empty when it's in the process of being emptied.

Reactions: Stubu

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I’m thinking they may put him on IR again. The injury clearly hasn’t healed. It looked like he couldn’t turn at all last game.
If he goes on IR again that would be very concerning. This is starting to look a lot like 2 years ago for Laine. He scored 18 goals in November including a 5 goal game and was playing the best hockey of his career. He then injured his back in early December which lingered all season long and he only scored 7 more goals from December to the end of the season. A lot of those games it looked like was having trouble turning his body and he couldn't really shoot the puck. I hope it isn't a recurring back issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad