Not open for further replies.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
tenor.gif

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
This is the guy that our Finn GM Jarmo coveted from the very beginning. We are built to play good aggressive back checking hockey, a team that forces and takes advantage of mistakes. With that said our special teams have been non existent. Our Power play that has been woeful for years with no end in sight just got the juice it needed. Jarmo drafting PLD showed off his brass balls and elite evaluation skill by taking PLD over the more popular choice in Puljujarvi - what we don't know is how much effort Jarmo had expended to get to #2. He has succeeded and also nabbed hometown C Jack Roslovic another player that he has had his sights on for some time.

Laine @ 6'5" tall is also an incredible passer and playmaker, he has supreme ability to setup his line mates. 140 goals 110 assists in 300+ games, has a career scoring/ shot % over 15%. working on average with 16 minutes of ice time and 2nd line minutes. Laine and Roslovic both bring speed and skill and it is anticipated that Laine slots in at LW with either Domi or Texier and Bjorky at RW.. I am very excited to see if he can find Cam on the PP and get him back lighting the lamp. Jack can play with speed & tempo and with wings like Foudy and Robinson they can take the tempo up a notch, and become more lethal scoring.

Laine is the big scorer we have been craving, the size of Andy, the skillset of Bread. Open up NWA.. we need to bring the Juice to this team!!

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm kind of tempering my enthusiasm because there's still plenty that can go wrong and a few gaps that aren't for-sure taken care of. But I do think there's potential for something truly special happening here. It's a gamble, and one I wouldn't normally have taken, but...

Of9ixXY.gif

...St. Vinny reminds us what Kekalainen's score has been so far.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Laine @ 6'5" tall is also an incredible passer and playmaker, he has supreme ability to setup his line mates. 140 goals 110 assists in 300+ games, has a career scoring % over 15%. working on average with 16 minutes of ice time and 2nd line minutes.

That is something many people don't get with Laine. He has done some pretty awesome stats given how underutilized he has been.

I hate the very day Laine got traded but at least his usage will now get better. My take is that Maurice is nice but incompetent coach, Torts is not nice, but is very competent coach. And I am pretty sure the latter is better for Laine.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Torts is not nice, but is very competent coach. And I am pretty sure the latter is better for Laine.

Don't confuse "not nice" with brutally honest. Torts said he was going to ride Panarin like a mule as long as he was on the team... he let him have freedom to create & Bread did what Bread does. I can only imagine how Torts is drooling to get the chance to use Patty's talent. Laine wants to be the man, be relied on, be loved by the fans & teammates. Well we have the perfect situation for him.. we can play solid behind you Patty.. go be you.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I'm kind of tempering my enthusiasm because there's still plenty that can go wrong and a few gaps that aren't for-sure taken care of. But I do think there's potential for something truly special happening here. It's a gamble, and one I wouldn't normally have taken, but...

Of9ixXY.gif

...St. Vinny reminds us what Kekalainen's score has been so far.

You have emptied your soul on these boards, I understand if you want to be cautious. Maurice should have used a top line of #29 55 26. Their loss is our gain. Frck yeah LETS GO JACKETS!!!!

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Don't confuse "not nice" with brutally honest. Torts said he was going to ride Panarin like a mule as long as he was on the team... he let him have freedom to create & Bread did what Bread does. I can only imagine how Torts is drooling to get the chance to use Patty's talent. Laine wants to be the man, be relied on, be loved by the fans & teammates. Well we have the perfect situation for him.. we can play solid behind you Patty.. go be you.

And I am sure Laine as an brutally honest Finn from Tampere region will actually prefer over that politically correct BS of what Maurice did.

Most Finns from the region Laine and also I am from are pretty brutally honest or even blunt by nature, when compared to average American. It sometimes causes a lot of trouble and is often regarded as being "not nice", while it's not actually intented like that.

Btw. I am happy for you guys. I just hate that my dream along the lines of "the Jets + Laine == Stanley Cup" is now over forever. I have been truly sad on 3 times regarding NHL: 1. Selänne trade out of WPG, 2. Jets along with Numminen move into some desert and Teppo being really shocked about that, and now 3. this Laine trade.

I will get over it and I will certainly watch how CBJ is playing now. Already watched the TBL game and that was just great.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
This is the guy that our Finn GM Jarmo coveted from the very beginning. We are built to play good aggressive back checking hockey, a team that forces and takes advantage of mistakes. With that said our special teams have been non existent. Our Power play that has been woeful for years with no end in sight just got the juice it needed. Jarmo drafting PLD showed off his brass balls and elite evaluation skill by taking PLD over the more popular choice in Puljujarvi - what we don't know is how much effort Jarmo had expended to get to #2. He has succeeded and also nabbed hometown C Jack Roslovic another player that he has had his sights on for some time.

Laine @ 6'5" tall is also an incredible passer and playmaker, he has supreme ability to setup his line mates. 140 goals 110 assists in 300+ games, has a career scoring % over 15%. working on average with 16 minutes of ice time and 2nd line minutes. Laine and Roslovic both bring speed and skill and it is anticipated that Laine slots in at LW with either Domi or Texier and Bjorky at RW.. I am very excited to see if he can find Cam on the PP and get him back lighting the lamp. Jack can play with speed & tempo and with wings like Foudy and Robinson they can take the tempo up a notch, and become more scoring lethal.

Laine is the big power forward we have been craving, the size of Andy, the skillset of Bread. Open up NWA.. we need to bring the Juice to this team!!

You will be disappointed if you consider Laine a power forward.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Panarin makes me hopeful that unlike Maurice, Tortorella won't try to turn Laine into a grinder, but will just let him play his game. Which is not the standard NHL game, but which he can definitely make work.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Some people have doubted his attitude and whether he's a team player or if he is too selfish. Or did he play too much fortnite and whatnot.

Not many people outside Finland knows the real value of Mikko Koivu, he is probably the all time leader in the Finnish hockey. I think there wouldn't be a better place for Laine currently than Columbus with Koivu. He will set a new standards for Laine what comes to training, attitude and doing whatever it takes to win. Koivu's authority among Finnish players is something that goes beyond coaches and team staff. Mark my words, there is no fear that Laine's attitude would be bad or he would be potential lockerroom cancer.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Some people have doubted his attitude and whether he's a team player or if he is too selfish. Or did he play too much fortnite and whatnot.

Not many people outside Finland knows the real value of Mikko Koivu, he is probably the all time leader in the Finnish hockey. I think there wouldn't be a better place for Laine currently than Columbus with Koivu. He will set a new standards for Laine what comes to training, attitude and doing whatever it takes to win. Koivu's authority among Finnish players is something that goes beyond coaches and team staff. Mark my words, there is no fear that Laine's attitude would be bad or he would be potential lockerroom cancer.

Excellent contribution.. welcome to the Blue Jackets board. We need more eyeballs on our games. Lets sell some #29, 9 & 71 Cannon jerseys in Finland!

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

This is something I hadn't thought about until now, but hell yeah. This rules.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The reason I think we got Koivu is that he's a coach on the ice. Let him teach Texier and Foudy how to be a center in the NHL. Let them learn from their peers and mentors, as much as from the coaches.

Re: Laine, as long as he forechecks, "plays the game the right way" and is "professional in how he goes about his business," then let him play his game.

Reactions: We Want Ten

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
You guys are getting a great player. I have always felt you never trade a player like this as goals are a premium and he change the score at will and change the game with one shot. He has improved every year, his totals have gone down a bit as he was working on his weaknesses but he’s well rounded now and is physically mature at this point. He will be fun to watch and can pass the puck equally as well as he can shoot it, his hands are great. He can play the body and really will dominate the league in his prime here. I think he can score over 50 goals. Great personality, tells it like it is and really is refreshing with media. I really like this trade for both teams and hope it works out for both. Enjoy watching him especially live next season!

Last edited:

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

Can’t you see Laine taking over where Panarin was on the PP. This definitely makes me happy. Along with getting a skilled finisher.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Here are the highlights of his 1 game this year where he was #1 star (looked like a great game)

That first goal he scored, I couldn't see.

Thats the "cheat code" shot everyone loves about Laine, you are gonna love the feeling its coming

By the way I have used this avatar since 2018 playoffs while being Laine fan, you can thank me now using sorcery

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Best of luck to Patty. Was a fun player to watch. It will be interesting to see how he does without well... Jets have a wee bit more talent on the team. Is he gonna play with Domi?

Reactions: Easternbull

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Okay, now that the shock has worn off, I gotta tell you, that you guys are absolutely gonna love Patrik Laine. If you're familiar with The Hives's song "I Want More", then you know why I describe his shot as being "like Biblical locusts on a laser beam". Instantaneous and relentless and coming outta nowhere.

He played one game for us this year. Look at that OT GWG he scored against Calgary. He was even back checked, and in an instant he got a second swat at it and drilled it home.

The only downside, potentially, is that he and Torts will have a very.. interesting mix of personalities. But who knows.. I mean, The Odd Couple ran for five seasons, yeah? So anything's possible :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad