Patrik Laine III: We’ve got questions, he’s got answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Consider that a little over a year ago Cheveldayoff had Laine on the trade market for months and couldn't find a taker, and then when Jarmo, a GM from Laine's hometown, had to make PLD available, Jarmo still said no to a 1 for 1 deal.

Laine followed that up with a sub-replacement season. He just wasn't in the right physical/mental space to be playing pro hockey. Torts played a role, but either way, Laine's value was through the floor. His play on the ice last year wasn't worth a thing so you would have needed GMs to pick up the $7.5m QO tab solely on the hope of future development. That already rules out a lot of win-now teams. I'm sure there were plenty of teams trying to exit their rebuilds - NJ, LA, etc.. that still would have wanted Laine, but my guess is that it was at a price less than half of what it is now.

To be clear, that is a guess. We haven't had any reporting on the caliber of the offers Jarmo was getting.
Yeah, I don't know either. If the rumors were accurate, Winnipeg's ask may have eliminated a lot of contenders, teams that would the greatest futures for a sniper like Laine. The problem with a sniping wing is he is going to be a complimentary piece. Hell you could argue even Selanne in his prime was a complimentary piece.

Then PLD wanted out and voila, someone could offer a 2 way 1/2 C. It's like Pierre saw a ticket to Winterpeg and wanted out :)

Imagine Laine's worth if he had been on the Panarin/Duchene/Bob Blue Jackets. Another sniper and this team might have easily dispatched the Bruins and the Islanders.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Consider that a little over a year ago Cheveldayoff had Laine on the trade market for months and couldn't find a taker,

couldn’t find a taker at the price he wanted*

Come on now. They weren’t trying to get rid of him they were shipping him for a #1 Dman. And considering they just lost Byfuglien and had an abundance of wingers, wouldn’t you? They were rumored to want Provorov from Philly, Pesce from Carolina, etc. not some random second pairing guys

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I didn't mean to imply they were trying to dump salary or something. Just that there wasn't nearly as much interest as HF assumed. GMs were sour on him.

I don’t think not wanting to deal a #1 defenseman For him doesn’t mean they were sour on him.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Here’s a question for ya’ll. Would you rather have 5+ term at $8.5M AAV on Seth Jones or Laine?

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I'd really like to see Barkov centering Laine in his current form. Seems to be more likely to see that happen in Team Finland than the NHL, but there's always a chance for a blockbuster trade. Make it happen!

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I'd really like to see Barkov centering Laine in his current form. Seems to be more likely to see that happen in Team Finland than the NHL, but there's always a chance for a blockbuster trade. Make it happen!

There is absolutely no way Florida is trading Barkov for anyone. Given their contract money & term, I'd rather keep Barkov than trading him to McDavid, for example.

So unless Jarmo loses his mind and trades Laine to Florida, that's not going to happen any time soon.

Olympic games 2026 they might reunite.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
It's kind of funny how when he's playing well 2/3 of the messages are Finns pumping his tires, and when he's playing bad most of the people vanish into thin air like magic.

And I'm Finnish.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I don't think it's been discussed much here, but Laine has mentioned his girlfriend from Finland is living with him in Columbus now. I have to think this is making a big difference in his play this year. Especially with the passing of his father, I'm sure it's much better to come home to her rather than Fortnight. Now pay the man his money so he can afford a decent ring. :naughty:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
What are the odds that Patty is a player of the month in Feb? :popcorn:

With PPG of exactly 2.00, and 3 game winning goals in only 7 games, I think he should win that, at least if he continuest like this for a little longer.
Screenshot_20220223_144622.jpg

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
It's kind of funny how when he's playing well 2/3 of the messages are Finns pumping his tires, and when he's playing bad most of the people vanish into thin air like magic.

And I'm Finnish.
There isn't much talk about Laine when he's not playing good, everyone knows that he's a streaky player and it's just a matter of time when he explodes.

And i think those highlight clips of his snipes does the tire pumping, not finns. Your point is very unclear, i've seen same people saying that he's too inconsistent when he doesn't play well. Now he's doing face melting stuff so we shouldn't enjoy? Especially after what he's been through with injuries and his dad.

He's never been my favourite player, mainly because of inconsistency but i can't deny his exellence when he's feeling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad