Patrik Laine III: We’ve got questions, he’s got answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
It's kind of funny how when he's playing well 2/3 of the messages are Finns pumping his tires, and when he's playing bad most of the people vanish into thin air like magic.

And I'm Finnish.
What are you getting at?

Should they be "pumping his tires" when he's playing like shit, or should they be shitting on him? What would please you?

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
upload_2022-2-23_9-44-51.png

Laine leads the league in points per game, goals, even-strength goals, even-strength points, and total points in the last 27 days.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Easily the most electrifying player we’ve had since Bread - actually the only two electrifying players……Nash was more a horse though certainly great.

I agree. Said the same thing earlier in this thread. Laine and Bread are special talents while Nash was just a great all around player.

There is some recency bias happening here. There are things each of the three could/can do that the others generally didn't/don't.

Reactions: Halberdier

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
What are you getting at?

Should they be "pumping his tires" when he's playing like shit, or should they be shitting on him? What would please you?
I was wondering the same thing. Seems pretty normal to me that fans get excited when a player they like goes on a scoring streak.
The truly odd posters are the people who only crawl out from the shadows when a player they dislike is having a hard time. That's neither healthy or normal behaviour IMO.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
With his 3rd OT goal this season, I was just thinking about what a tremendous weapon Laine is in overtime and where he ranks on the all-time OT goals list. I was shocked to find he is only 203rd. Tied with Werenski with 5 OT goals in his career. It really surprises me with time and space in OT he only has 5 goals. The other surprise on the list- Jake Voracek is 24th all time with 12 OT goals and 6th all-time with 31 OT points.

NHL Records

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
With his 3rd OT goal this season, I was just thinking about what a tremendous weapon Laine is in overtime and where he ranks on the all-time OT goals list. I was shocked to find he is only 203rd. Tied with Werenski with 5 OT goals in his career. It really surprises me with time and space in OT he only has 5 goals. The other surprise on the list- Jake Voracek is 24th all time with 12 OT goals and 6th all-time with 31 OT points.

NHL Records

Laine hardly got to play 3 on 3 in Jets. Wheeler and Scheifele started, Laine would often go in 3rd line. Usually by then the game was over, or he was out there with Copp.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
There is some recency bias happening here. There are things each of the three could/can do that the others generally didn't/don't.
No recency bias on my part. I still view Nash as the greatest player in Jackets history and one of the great NHLers during his playing career. I specifically used the term electrifying because of their unique skills.

At times Zherdev was electrifying, but those moments alone don't merit his inclusion in the conversation. The three I mentioned are because they’re the greatest forward talents we’ve had (Federov was beyond his expiration date when here).

Reactions: Halberdier

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Thanks for the replies on the Winnipeg situation. I can't imagine having an OT strategy that didn't include Laine.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

NHL Records

Everyone watched his start in WPG know exactly how and why, you can't score when you are not in the ice with best players. Glad for him things are different now.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
What are you getting at?

I wasn't really getting at anything, was just stating that it's amusing. But now that you mention it, yeah, it would be great to have more people discussing things here even when things aren't going great with Laine. Even if it means "shitting" on him.

Edit: What I ultimately mean is that I don't mind there being more people around here when he's playing good, I just wish that people wouldn't abandon ship the moment things are not going great.

That would please me. :)

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I wasn't really getting at anything, was just stating that it's amusing. But now that you mention it, yeah, it would be great to have more people discussing things here even when things aren't going great with Laine. Even if it means "shitting" on him.
I don’t get it why that is so much needed. No matter which player is in question. To me that is dwelling in misery. I rather stick to doing something else than bashing some players in the internet. But each to their own, I guess. But I still have a hard time in believing that a lot of people would enjoy bashing and criticizing players when they are having a bad streak.

Reactions: Marioesque

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
I don’t get it why that is so much needed. No matter whuch player is in question. To me that is dwelling in misery. I rather stick to doing something else than bashing some players in the internet. But each to their own, I guess. But I still have a hard time to believe that a lot of people would enjoy bashing and criticising players when they are having a bad streak.

I mean the CBJ board in general, not just the Laine thread.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm here to eat crow. Many times I have been apprehensive about signing Laine Long Term. I'm not feeling that now. Still have same apprehension of signing any player to too many year and too many dollars.
He's a unique talent. I honestly hope we can sign him to the right deal and if it is a little too long or a little too much I think we will be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad