Patrik Laine III: We’ve got questions, he’s got answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
In Winnipeg when things got more physical Laine got more involved.

Others seemed to disappear and Laine enjoy.
To me that showed and means he has a high compete level

& if you look at his playoff stats they don’t look bad.
12 in 17 and 4 in 6.

Yup, and more importantly he was really sharp defending and net positive on 5-on-5, forming their best playoff line with Stastny & (mostly) Ehlers 17-18.

He knows what it takes to play well on playoffs, as a FEL champion and playoff MVP (Jari Kurri Trophy 2016). Also great on WC silver run & all those international Junior tournaments.

Jari Kurri Trophy - Wikipedia

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
He was outplaying Connor from day one then Connor got put on the top line because Laine had to work on his 2 way game. It’s funny cause farm boy still hasn’t and chef is even worse. Even when Laine had a record month, he still was never rewarded. The leadership on that team was and still is broken.
Wheeler and Scheifele are the toxic duo that ran the show. Maurice had no control over them and was just happy keeping his job. It’s too bad that the Jets best roster was wasted because of a spineless head coach that couldn’t handle the diva ”leadership” on the roster.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
IMO Laine, Werenski, a true #1C, Merzlikins = none of these are "THE" piece. McDavid isn't even "THE" piece for Oilers. It's all the piece combined that makes a cup contender. And I think Laine is one of those pieces "needed" to win a cup.

Center/Wing/D isn't a bad plan, I would prefer two #1c but that hasn't worked for the Leafs or Oilers. And ya gotta work with what ya got,
I like this thinking. I dont remember anyone winning stanley cup with just having one "the piece", no not even gretzky, because Oilers was stacked af. McDavid is a great example that you cannot build on one "the piece", or even two. Winning teams do have high scoring players, but its not always that it has to be bought from free market at high price, just look how Vegas won. When the team is rock solid and playing great, if you have talented guys, some of them will raise as high scorers indeed. Its more important to have good depth and great coaching and high morale in the team.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not sure what those Laine-superfans have been telling you but this is the best overall game he's ever played. He's had heaters before and he's had some stretches where he was decently consistent, but he's never had an overall game like this while filling the net like this. November 2018 was his record breaking month, the last time he scored like this, and it was like a comatose person was on the ice and just filling the net in a trance. It's a big contrast with the total package we are watching lately.

I was just talking about his offensive consistency in that part of the post. The overall game was the last sentence.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Can you pay this man already so he can come play world championships in his home town :ha:

That's a pipe dream, I am afraid. They are chasing playoff spot (almost impossible, 9 points behind Boston), but even when they most probably fail on that, I think Laine will skip world championships anyway, have a break and then start training for the next season.

I hope I am wrong, and we'll see Pate here on Tampere.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I'm not sure what those Laine-superfans have been telling you but this is the best overall game he's ever played. He's had heaters before and he's had some stretches where he was decently consistent, but he's never had an overall game like this while filling the net like this. November 2018 was his record breaking month, the last time he scored like this, and it was like a comatose person was on the ice and just filling the net in a trance. It's a big contrast with the total package we are watching lately.

Difference is we were watching really, really closely him from the season 15-16 in FEL, not just from 20-21.

And no, he never was like a "comatose person filling the net in trance" and otherwise playing a losing hockey. No, not at all. His overall play was hugely better than arm chair GMs told you.

Has his overall play evolved over time? For sure. But it was never bad when he was on fire. Is this last 9 or so game stretch his best overall so far? Pretty much so, but later half & playoffs on 17-18 says Hi. But please, it's not the first time Laine has helped his team to win. They did not hand him FEL playoff MVP or WC MVP as a participation trophy. On his 16-17 season his WAR stats were over the moon, trailing only handful of the guys.

And btw. I don't consider his 18-19 November his second best period of time. For sure it was great times as well, jailbreaking from dog house and starting to score like a madman from the 4th line, no kidding.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
One thing to keep in mind when discussing how much Laine is worth Is that it is probably a lot easier for Jarmo to attract a 1C to sign with CBJ if Laine is signed long term. If you remove Laine from the top line, it ain’t the most enticing forward group to join from a career point of view TBH.

I hope he signs for 5 years of which CBJ will be contenders for 3 :)

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Who really cares what happened in the Jets years ago, it's all there for people to make up their own minds, we all see the game differently and while stats are good, even with those you can always twist them to fit whatever you want them to fit. In case of Laine you can point out his 5v5 goal differentials ranging from good to excellent during most seasons - except for 18-19 & 20-21, but likewise you can always counter with various underlying numbers to point out how horrible he "really" is if you discount actual goals.

I think pretty much anyone can agree that whatever you thought of his game in the past, he's currently playing some of the best hockey of his career and being a factor all over ice and also scoring goals which is great to see and fun to watch.

After years of stupid arguments on the Jets board, do we really need to dig up that crap and try to rehash it over here?

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
One thing to keep in mind when discussing how much Laine is worth Is that it is probably a lot easier for Jarmo to attract a 1C to sign with CBJ if Laine is signed long term. If you remove Laine from the top line, it ain’t the most enticing forward group to join from a career point of view TBH.

I hope he signs for 5 years of which CBJ will be contenders for 3 :)

I’m not even sure they need a 1C , Jenner seems fine there. Maybe go for a more suitable skilled playmaking winger for Laine than Voracek instead ? I still haven’t seen Laine and Voracek having good chemistry. And not saying Voracek is bad, maybe they just aren’t a good fit together.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
After years of stupid arguments on the Jets board, do we really need to dig up that crap and try to rehash it over here?

This has diminished while Laine was playing poorly and out of the lineup. Now that he’s playing well the folks who are Laine fans who don’t care about the Jackets are back and loading up the history posts.

I say this as an excuse to offer the following:

It’s a fine line between providing context to current discussions and just dredging up old crap for the sake of it. The former is welcome and will be left alone; the latter will be deleted.

Last edited:

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
With all do respect. Don’t you guys want more support and fans of your team? It comes off little insulting being called a “Laine fan” for being a Finn. Give people a chance to become a Columbus fan. Anyways, The team looks like they’re enjoying playing hockey again.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
With all do respect. Don’t you guys want more support and fans of your team? It comes off little insulting being called a “Laine fan” for being a Finn. Give people a chance to become a Columbus fan. Anyways, The team looks like they’re enjoying playing hockey again.

Has nothing to do with “being a Finn.” We had Finnish fans here pre-Laine - pre-Jarmo even. Has everything to do with helping the conversation around the team, which is the reason the forum exists.

We’ve had fans follow players here before and stay, so obviously there’s not an issue with “becoming a Columbus fan.” I’d say it’s welcome.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Has nothing to do with “being a Finn.” We had Finnish fans here pre-Laine - pre-Jarmo even. Has everything to do with helping the conversation around the team, which is the reason the forum exists.

We’ve had fans follow players here before and stay, so obviously there’s not an issue with “becoming a Columbus fan.” I’d say it’s welcome.
I know it’s not just Finns, But “Laine fans” do get called out a lot when people disagree with them. Sorry, maybe I’m imagining it.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
This has diminished while Laine was playing poorly and out of the lineup. Now that he’s playing well the folks who are Laine fans who don’t care about the Jackets are back and loading up the history posts.

I say this as an excuse to offer the following:

It’s a fine line between providing context to current discussions and just dredging up old crap for the sake of it. The former will be left alone; the latter will be deleted.

Well, I guess there are main board Laine-threads for those that do not care about CBJ. This should be "Laine the Columbus Cannon" thread.

CBJ twitter feed or someone called Laine recently "Tesoman Tykki" which is "Tesoma's Cannon". Tesoma is a small neighbourhood in Tampere, and Laine used to live there.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’m not even sure they need a 1C , Jenner seems fine there. Maybe go for a more suitable skilled playmaking winger for Laine than Voracek instead ? I still haven’t seen Laine and Voracek having good chemistry. And not saying Voracek is bad, maybe they just aren’t a good fit together.

Not sure if they need a 1C?

Since Ducks winning no team has won the Cup without a 1C, so I’d say that’s a pretty must have.

& Ducks had Getzlaf with 58 points and McDonald close to ppg at C.)

That Ducks team had Pronger, Niedermayer& Selanne to compensate.

edit
McDonald was around ppg C that year and Getlaz had 58 points

Reactions: DoingItCoolKiwi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know it’s not just Finns, But “Laine fans” do get called out a lot when people disagree with them. Sorry, maybe I’m imagining it.

Laine fans are 100% welcome to become Columbus fans. Sorry if it didn't come off that way. It'll help when we meet in other threads on the CBJ board and talk about things other than #29. I'll try not to dredge up old debates.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Not sure if they need a 1C?

Since Ducks winning no team has won the Cup without a 1C, so I’d say that’s a pretty must have.

& Ducks had Getzlaf with 58 points and McDonald close to ppg at C.)

That Ducks team had Pronger, Niedermayer& Selanne to compensate.

edit
McDonald was around ppg C that year and Getlaz had 58 points
I agree with you here .. jackets goal is to win a cup , not be good . They absolutely need a #1 C , and whether they get that in this next draft , or Laine is used to get that piece , it absolutely has to happen. Then again , Jarmo feels that K Johnson is a center , and he may have elite potential . Best thing this team finally has done is gotten away from Torts, Hitch type coaches . Not sure where things go with Laine.. but it’s great he’s playing at this level

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I agree with you here .. jackets goal is to win a cup , not be good . They absolutely need a #1 C , and whether they get that in this next draft , or Laine is used to get that piece , it absolutely has to happen. Then again , Jarmo feels that K Johnson is a center , and he may have elite potential . Best thing this team finally has done is gotten away from Torts, Hitch type coaches . Not sure where things go with Laine.. but it’s great he’s playing at this level

What is a 1C though?

Matthews, Schief, etc don't have the 200ft game that Bergeron, Toews, Kopitar, or O'Reilly had. Seems like that aspect might be more important.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Johnson could be that guy( or Sillinger) or a guy they drafy this year.
If so that’s great, toughest position to address would have been addressed.

It doesn’t matter how it happens just that it has to happen

What is a 1C though?

Matthews, Schief, etc don't have the 200ft game that Bergeron, Toews, Kopitar, or O'Reilly had. Seems like that aspect might be more important.

Seems like has to be top 10, at the absolute worst top15 in his position.

It’s just a killer for match ups if Jenner is the best they got and he lines up against guys like Barkov or Matthews.

That’s not saying Jenner is garbage but asking him to win those match ups regularly is a lot to ask and history suggest winning recipe is a top tier C.

Crosby- Malkin
Zetterberg- Datsuyk
Kopitar
Bergeron- Krejci
Toews
Point
Backstrom- Kuznetsov
RoR

& if you look at this years favourites they all have that figured out:
Mackinnon
Barkov
Point
Aho
Eichel

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Johnson could be that guy( or Sillinger) or a guy they drafy this year.
If so that’s great, toughest position to address would have been addressed.

It doesn’t matter how it happens just that it has to happen

Seems like has to be top 10, at the absolute worst top15 in his position.

It’s just a killer for match ups if Jenner is the best they got and he lines up against guys like Barkov or Matthews.

That’s not saying Jenner is garbage but asking him to win those match ups regularly is a lot to ask and history suggest winning recipe is a top tier C.

Crosby- Malkin
Zetterberg- Datsuyk
Kopitar
Bergeron- Krejci
Toews
Point
Backstrom- Kuznetsov
RoR

& if you look at this years favourites they all have that figured out:
Mackinnon
Barkov
Point
Aho
Eichel

Maybe when I have time, I'll look and see how many of those guys were top 10 in points those years or in adjacent years. I guess there's just more than points to me.

But yes, Jenner does need to be improved upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad