Patrik Elias

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Brylin and Zajac may be perfect fits for the Ring of Honor. Great Devils but not league wide great.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly basing anything on a reddit post is like basing an argument on an HF post.

Zajac never won a Cup barring a miracle the next few years, he's not going to set any team records offensively and he's not an original Devil that's going to set a franchise record for games played like Dano. He's a ring of honor guy for sure but not a retired number guy.

Elias has two of those three, he has Cup wins and plenty of team records offensively. You have to be a real special case like Dano to get a number retired without being part of a Cup winner/being a HOF or near HOF player.

Also, kinda sad that Brylin hasn't gotten his retired. He's the only member of the 3cup club that didn't =/

Elias will be the first 2 time cup winner to go up to our rafters

Brylin wasn't a real top shelf player either though, he was a role player. Cups or not, to me you have to be at least near HOF worthy to merit a number retirement. Dano was an exception for obvious reasons (longevity of his career in one spot, being an 'original' Devil, and being the best ambassador the franchise could ever have). Stevens, Nieds and Marty are HOF players. Elias should be, but there might be an anti-Devil/deadpuck system number bias against him.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Honestly basing anything on a reddit post is like basing an argument on an HF post.

Zajac never won a Cup barring a miracle the next few years, he's not going to set any team records offensively and he's not an original Devil that's going to set a franchise record for games played like Dano. He's a ring of honor guy for sure but not a retired number guy.

Elias has two of those three, he has Cup wins and plenty of team records offensively. You have to be a real special case like Dano to get a number retired without being part of a Cup winner/being a HOF or near HOF player.

Brylin wasn't a real top shelf player either though, he was a role player. Cups or not, to me you have to be at least near HOF worthy to merit a number retirement. Dano was an exception for obvious reasons (longevity of his career in one spot, being an 'original' Devil, and being the best ambassador the franchise could ever have). Stevens, Nieds and Marty are HOF players. Elias should be, but there might be an anti-Devil/deadpuck system number bias against him.

well put, i feel the same.

sarge and zaj are ring of honour worthy

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm in that same age group and it is a weird sentimental feeling to watch a guy retire when you can distinctly remember them breaking into the league. Heck when Chipper Jones retired a few years ago, I had this odd urge to go watch him one last time even though I was never really a fan of his. Back in my peak baseball card collecting days, Jones' rookie card was a hot commodity.

When Patty does officially announce his retirement, I decided to go have a nice dinner to commemorate the 2000 Cup squad.

Marty was one of the last players in the league to have already been active when I was still in high school and not yet an adult, so I kind of felt the same way about him. I remember Patty's first goal in 96-97, which went off his skate and was reviewed. I think it was against Boston. He played one game in 95-96. 12-7-95 against Toronto, according to hockey reference. I'm sure I watched it, I don't remember much about it. I tracked him a little as a prospect back then, which was a little harder without the Internet. Sharif (not gonna attempt to spell it) was the big prospect at that time, as well as Sykora, who had already debuted. Perhaps the first round status propelled that.

And no way Brylin or Zajac should have their numbers retired. We shouldn't be retiring numbers like changing bed sheets here. Devs26 gave a very good explanation on why Dano's was retired, despite not being a sexy name or superstar like the other retired numbers and why he's up there but Brylin and Zajac won't be.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Marty was one of the last players in the league to have already been active when I was still in high school and not yet an adult, so I kind of felt the same way about him. I remember Patty's first goal in 96-97, which went off his skate and was reviewed. I think it was against Boston. He played one game in 95-96. 12-7-95 against Toronto, according to hockey reference. I'm sure I watched it, I don't remember much about it. I tracked him a little as a prospect back then, which was a little harder without the Internet. Sharif (not gonna attempt to spell it) was the big prospect at that time, as well as Sykora, who had already debuted. Perhaps the first round status propelled that.

And no way Brylin or Zajac should have their numbers retired. We shouldn't be retiring numbers like changing bed sheets here. Devs26 gave a very good explanation on why Dano's was retired, despite not being a sexy name or superstar like the other retired numbers and why he's up there but Brylin and Zajac won't be.

they retired tallackson's #27…..anything is game after that no? :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
they retired tallackson's #27…..anything is game after that no? :laugh:

I'd retire Tallackson's jersey..... and use it as toilet paper!:laugh:

Good thing I don't have one though, that would have been a waste of money.

Didn't David Clarkson wear #27 his rookie year when he was a call up too? Nieds will still be the one jersey retirement that filled a few bodies in between his leaving the number retirement. I remember in his first game back with the Ducks, which was almost 3 years later after he left and we were in Newark by then, Lou said we were retiring his number when he retired. I wasn't so sure, since he also said John MacLean would be considered for a jersey retirement back in 97 when he was traded. Although we did win 2 more cups and Langenbrunner wound up getting his number by the time he came back. So circumstances changed, and he was much more assuring about Nieds having his retired at that point. It was more of a maybe with MacLean in 97.

But I remember laughing and wondering what Mottau was still here and wearing #27 by the time Nieds retired? Haha. If you remember, Nieds actually retired for a half season after winning the cup in 07, and he had just come back in January or February, not too long before the game against us in Newark. I seem to remember Selanne also sitting out retired for a half a season that very same year and then coming back in January or February also? I remember when many of our fans were convinced that Stevens would come back in January or February of 06, after retiring a few months prior to that. Then they announced we were retiring his number and that pretty much squashed those feelings.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York

Well said.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Found this highlight video from 2006.

I didn't actively watch the Devils back then. Wish I could find more footage from those days.

I didn't know Elias had long hair at one point. Good look for him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Found this highlight video from 2006.

I didn't actively watch the Devils back then. Wish I could find more footage from those days.

I didn't know Elias had long hair at one point. Good look for him.

I was actually about to post in the other thread after you commented that Zacha was growing his hair out, "Remember when Patty had long hair back in the early 00's?"

It seemed like it was around the 2003 cup era. I liked it when it was longer and bleached!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Check this youtube channel out. Endless footage going all the way back to the first cup.

An essential channel for any Devils fan.

https://www.youtube.com/user/McKay4429061/videos

This is my go-to when I'm bored online late at night and there's nothing else to do or watch. I probably watch it more in the offseason though, when I need a fix.

Most of the videos are in poor quality, which doesn't bother me too much, but 1995 looks like it's 100 years old already.:laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
This is my go-to when I'm bored online late at night and there's nothing else to do or watch. I probably watch it more in the offseason though, when I need a fix.

Most of the videos are in poor quality, which doesn't bother me too much, but 1995 looks like it's 100 years old already.:laugh:

That channel is definitely a go to when I need a pick me up. I love that they uploaded the entire 2000 Cup Game 4 sequence where Madden misses on a short handed attempt only to get the identical chance a minute later (plus the Rafalski goal right after the penalty expired).

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That channel is definitely a go to when I need a pick me up. I love that they uploaded the entire 2000 Cup Game 4 sequence where Madden misses on a short handed attempt only to get the identical chance a minute later (plus the Rafalski goal right after the penalty expired).

He's got some really obscure and random stuff up there, which are things I had forgotten about until I watched those videos again. Like the brawl with the Panthers in the late 90's, which even Marty participated in!

I really wish he or somebody had a couple that I always wanted and could never find. Marty's save on (Fedorov maybe?) Detroit in a regular season game back in the late 90's. Which was our last win in Detroit for over 15 years at one point.

And the saves on Lemieux and Jagr back to back, which we have seen on the broadcast's quite a bit, but I can't ever find it online. I haven't looked in a while for that one though, so maybe it's since been uploaded to youtube.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He's got some really obscure and random stuff up there, which are things I had forgotten about until I watched those videos again. Like the brawl with the Panthers in the late 90's, which even Marty participated in!

I really wish he or somebody had a couple that I always wanted and could never find. Marty's save on (Fedorov maybe?) Detroit in a regular season game back in the late 90's. Which was our last win in Detroit for over 15 years at one point.

And the saves on Lemieux and Jagr back to back, which we have seen on the broadcast's quite a bit, but I can't ever find it online. I haven't looked in a while for that one though, so maybe it's since been uploaded to youtube.

I know Brodeur made a great glove save against Brent Gilchrist when he played for the Wings and I think it was at a game I attended. Not sure this is what you're thinking of, but I suspect it's this game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know Brodeur made a great glove save against Brent Gilchrist when he played for the Wings and I think it was at a game I attended. Not sure this is what you're thinking of, but I suspect it's this game.

The game I mentioned was actually in Detroit.

I'm almost positive it was this one

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199611060DET.html

Holik and MacLean with the goals for the Devils. Elias wasn't even in this game, but I remember him coming up later in November or December. My memory of that Winter is very vivid of that Winter, for reasons that I wish were only because of hockey.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
The game I mentioned was actually in Detroit.

I'm almost positive it was this one

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199611060DET.html

Holik and MacLean with the goals for the Devils. Elias wasn't even in this game, but I remember him coming up later in November or December. My memory of that Winter is very vivid of that Winter, for reasons that I wish were only because of hockey.

I know the save you're talking about and the link you posted is the correct game. Mark Everson's NY Post article the next morning was titled "Brodeur, Osgood as gold". I don't remember much anymore from seasons that far back, but that save is one of his best ever and I never forgot about it.

It was off a 2 on 1 and he basically pushed from right to left off a one timer, almost doing a split. He was dead to rights but managed to use the tip of the blade of his goal stick to catch a piece of the puck that was probably a good 3 to 4 feet off the ice. It was a ridiculous save. I think this save actually made it into the NHL 98 video game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know the save you're talking about and the link you posted is the correct game. Mark Everson's NY Post article the next morning was titled "Brodeur, Osgood as gold". I don't remember much anymore from seasons that far back, but that save is one of his best ever and I never forgot about it.

It was off a 2 on 1 and he basically pushed from right to left off a one timer, almost doing a split. He was dead to rights but managed to use the tip of the blade of his goal stick to catch a piece of the puck that was probably a good 3 to 4 feet off the ice. It was a ridiculous save. I think this save actually made it into the NHL 98 video game.
That was it! I remember you being the only other person to remember this, when we talked about it a few years back. And I'm pretty sure Doc and Chico referenced this save at some point in recent years, so it's not as if it had complete been forgotten about. Since there's no video of it floating around on youtube though, it has probably gone mostly forgotten. It may have been on the NHL video game too, I don't think I had that year though.
Was that brawl with the Panthers the one where Marty went all Carey Price on a Panther?
It wasn't quite as bad as Price and he was hit by someone before he attacked Ciccarelli (I think it was Ciccarelli) the guy who hit him before he started wailing on Ciccarelli. He just was hitting the wrong guy haha.

It was also after a whistle, whereas wasn't Price's attack on Palmieri when play was still going on? I forgot already. That was the maddest I've ever seen Marty get. He was steaming after that OT goal in Carolina back in the 2009 playoffs, but this was the only time he's gotten even close to this physically violent.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
DevilsHQ (used to post here under a different name) is another great Devils channel for the stuff around the 2009-2013ish time period and captures a bunch of stuff from the year of our cup run if you are looking for more recent stuff prior to things going significantly more south for the organization.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DevilsHQ/videos

Here are a few classics :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
DevilsHQ (used to post here under a different name) is another great Devils channel for the stuff around the 2009-2013ish time period and captures a bunch of stuff from the year of our cup run if you are looking for more recent stuff prior to things going significantly more south for the organization.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DevilsHQ/videos

Here are a few classics :laugh:

These are all awesome! LOL @ Dano on the Salmela OT winner!

HOLY SCHMOLY!:laugh:

And Holik was such a *********, he probably was being serious about Mottau's shot not being able to hurt a fly. That probably wasn't even a joke. He was a ******, but he was honest and blunt about it. He wasn't tell the guy he had a great shot, if it was a peashooter.
I miss Lemaire pressers.

He also has some classic, which unfortunately, have not been documented to make it onto the internet. Perhaps if the internet was the machine back in 1996 that it is today, we would have one of my favorite Lemaire pressers of all time.

One game back in 1996 or 1997, I can't swear on the year. It was after we won the cup, so sometimes between 95 and 98. I wanna say it was 96-97 though.

We got beat up on by the Islanders and Lemaire blamed the pregame meal and the type of foods that the players had been consuming before the game, as one of the reasons cited for why we were so lousy. There was also another one, which was in the cup season in 95, just earlier in the regular season. It might have been against Ottawa or TB or one of the really bad expan-ish teams that had just come into the league not long before. And Lemaire was breaking down conditioning on the players and said not even 3 minutes into the game, guys were out of breath and they'd take 3 shifts and be breathing super heavy or something. I only saw each of these pressers once, so I can't remember exactly what was said. They were so hilarious, so they stuck with me forever.

Another great Lemaire quote was when he was in Minnesota and discussing what he tells Gaborik. And he told him to give it his all (or some cliche) in everything he does, whether it's on the ice or whether it's when he goes to take a dump LOL.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I miss Lemaire pressers.

These are all awesome! LOL @ Dano on the Salmela OT winner!

HOLY SCHMOLY!:laugh:

It's not often you are able to say you look forward to watching pre or post game shows for the coaches comments. Lemaire's were always a humorous perspective regardless of how good or poor the team had played.

I hadn't seen that Holik interview in quite some time until a few minutes ago and while it is nothing surprising from him because he was always blunt to the point and honest, just comparing the end of the interview to today with some of the passiveness from guys we've had on poor teams over the years since, it's just opens your eyes a bit given the circumstances.

Then you had mentality that was never too content from guys like Holik (and also Langs, Elias, Madden, White) on a team that was among the top in the league at the time, tied with another strong team with another period left in that game. Compare that to recent years, us having been among the worst teams in the league and several of our guys bringing up moral victories more often than not. The skill levels on both teams were night and day, but some of the attitude is certainly a noticeable difference. That's the difference though when you expect to win every game versus grasping at air more often than not I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad