Patrik Elias

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Will have to make another trip up when #26 goes to the rafters next year.

The last number for a while.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
Will have to make another trip up when #26 goes to the rafters next year.

The last number for a while.

I will do whatever it takes to be at that game. I will be the grownass man balling his eyes out the entire ceremony. To me (and I know this is heresy) he's the epitome of a NJ Devil: Team first, classy, respectful, and most of all LOVED THE LOGO!

He's my Mr Devil (no disrespect to Kenny).

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I will do whatever it takes to be at that game. I will be the grownass man balling his eyes out the entire ceremony. To me (and I know this is heresy) he's the epitome of a NJ Devil: Team first, classy, respectful, and most of all LOVED THE LOGO!

Aside from Kenny, he'll be the only guy in the rafters that will have been a career Devil.

If anything, I'm glad he won't be playing elsewhere in the NHL, like Marty did for a measly 7 games, which is still kinda disappointing. I'd feel a lot less disappointed if Marty had played for the Blues and was on the roster for the entire year and started 30+ games and got to #700, rather than a measly 7 games played.

He's the best forward in the history of the franchise and the only forward in the rafters.

I don't think I'll cry, I thought I would during the Marty ceremony and it wasn't very sad.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Aside from Kenny, he'll be the only guy in the rafters that will have been a career Devil.

If anything, I'm glad he won't be playing elsewhere in the NHL, like Marty did for a measly 7 games, which is still kinda disappointing. I'd feel a lot less disappointed if Marty had played for the Blues and was on the roster for the entire year and started 30+ games and got to #700, rather than a measly 7 games played.

He's the best forward in the history of the franchise and the only forward in the rafters.

I don't think I'll cry, I thought I would during the Marty ceremony and it wasn't very sad.

Yeah I was a disappointed in Marty playing for the Blues for 7 meaningless games at first. But now I look at those 7 games, and admit it did a lot for his post NHL career, he must have made quite the impression on ownership and management in general in such a short time. Getting a job as an assistant GM and now he's been asked to be the goalie coach on top of that. Which has had a positive effect on the Blues goalies. I care more about what's best for Marty's life, because he's such a good person, rather than get annoyed about 7 games that don't take away from anything he did with us as a player.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah I was a disappointed in Marty playing for the Blues for 7 meaningless games at first. But now I look at those 7 games, and admit it did a lot for his post NHL career, he must have made quite the impression on ownership and management in general in such a short time. Getting a job as an assistant GM and now he's been asked to be the goalie coach on top of that. Which has had a positive effect on the Blues goalies. I care more about what's best for Marty's life, because he's such a good person, rather than get annoyed about 7 games that don't take away from anything he did with us as a player.

I don't hold it against him. If anything, I wish he got more playing time in St Louis, rather than signing there and playing for a month before they threw him away (as a player) once Elliott got back.

I'm glad he got a job there and I'm glad it's not with us, or else we could have what's going on in Colorado happening here right now.

I wouldn't mind Patty in a job with us, not a GM or head coaching job though.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

+1 on all of the above. My favorite Devil of all-time. Everyone knows Arnott scored the Cup winning goal in 2000 - it was Patty who delivered the pass.

I'd love to see him on the ice just one more time, but then again, the storybook ending was probably written with his goal in the final seconds off last seasons final game against Toronto.

Here's a pic I took of him last season. :) I hope to get it signed and framed someday.

qviD4FB.jpg

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I had a feeling that the Toronto game last April was Patty's last.

I was fortunate to have seats near the ice where he scored that last goal.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I actually find watching Marty's last game with the Devils and his lap around the ice, with the rest of the team letting him skate out on his own, as more emotional than his number retirement ceremony for me personally. I'm sure I'll feel the same way about Patty's last game last year, being more emotional for me when I look back, than his number retirement ceremony.

My friend (who is a little bit younger than me haha) said he got teary eyed after that and was borderline embarrassed of tearing up because of an athlete in front of his fiance, who he was watching the game with. He said he can remember Patty's first game (I know I watched it, but don't remember it personally) and that he was one of the only players in the league when he was still in middle school, who was still active all through his young adulthood and into his 30's. He told me he had a similar moment watching Marty in 2014 in the finale against Boston.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
+1 on all of the above. My favorite Devil of all-time. Everyone knows Arnott scored the Cup winning goal in 2000 - it was Patty who delivered the pass.

I'd love to see him on the ice just one more time, but then again, the storybook ending was probably written with his goal in the final seconds off last seasons final game against Toronto.

Here's a pic I took of him last season. :) I hope to get it signed and framed someday.

qviD4FB.jpg

i would photoshop out the board ads before i got him to sign it, would look a lot nicer up on the wall that way

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I actually find watching Marty's last game with the Devils and his lap around the ice, with the rest of the team letting him skate out on his own, as more emotional than his number retirement ceremony for me personally. I'm sure I'll feel the same way about Patty's last game last year, being more emotional for me when I look back, than his number retirement ceremony.

My friend (who is a little bit younger than me haha) said he got teary eyed after that and was borderline embarrassed of tearing up because of an athlete in front of his fiance, who he was watching the game with. He said he can remember Patty's first game (I know I watched it, but don't remember it personally) and that he was one of the only players in the league when he was still in middle school, who was still active all through his young adulthood and into his 30's. He told me he had a similar moment watching Marty in 2014 in the finale against Boston.

We had tickets for the Toronto game but had to give them up. My best friends wife was seriously ill and was going in for surgery the following Monday so we did what was right and visited with them instead. We were able to watch the game on TV and when Patty scored that final goal, I had tears in my eyes. Just being able to see that and then the expression on his face at the faceoff circle was priceless. I can't even imagine what I would have been like if I were there in person.

I'm going to miss watching him play more than any other.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We had tickets for the Toronto game but had to give them up. My best friends wife was seriously ill and was going in for surgery the following Monday so we did what was right and visited with them instead. We were able to watch the game on TV and when Patty scored that final goal, I had tears in my eyes. Just being able to see that and then the expression on his face at the faceoff circle was priceless. I can't even imagine what I would have been like if I were there in person.

I'm going to miss watching him play more than any other.
What really sucks is that I feel that Patty would be the 5th or 6th best forward on this team right now. He'd be better than some of the trash we've been icing at the forward position lately. I don't feel like he'd be like Zubrus, Salvador or Pandolfo, or the twilight version's of some of our otherwise reliable and good players before old age led to their demise. God forbid last year's Ruutu.

Even a crappy and washed up Elias is probably still a pretty good player. Maybe he grenades and completely falls off like Iginla appears to have done this season and Doan too. As much as I hate mentioning Doan and Elias in the same breath, as Elias has ALWAYS been better than Doan and it isn't even debatable. At least it would have only been for a half a season. If Elias played for a bigger team in a bigger market, he'd probably be a bit less underrated. I feel like even Stevens and Niedermayer didn't get their due as legends while playing here, despite being in the HOF. They flew a little more under the radar than they would have across the river. Marty only got his fair due because he was one of the greatest at the most important position in the game. The fact that anybody that watches hockey would think Doan is better than Elias, shows how underrated Elias really was.

Hope your friend's wife has gotten better, by the way.:nod:

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
What really sucks is that I feel that Patty would be the 5th or 6th best forward on this team right now. He'd be better than some of the trash we've been icing at the forward position lately. I don't feel like he'd be like Zubrus, Salvador or Pandolfo, or the twilight version's of some of our otherwise reliable and good players before old age led to their demise. God forbid last year's Ruutu.

Even a crappy and washed up Elias is probably still a pretty good player. Maybe he grenades and completely falls off like Iginla appears to have done this season and Doan too. As much as I hate mentioning Doan and Elias in the same breath, as Elias has ALWAYS been better than Doan and it isn't even debatable. At least it would have only been for a half a season. If Elias played for a bigger team in a bigger market, he'd probably be a bit less underrated. I feel like even Stevens and Niedermayer didn't get their due as legends while playing here, despite being in the HOF. They flew a little more under the radar than they would have across the river. Marty only got his fair due because he was one of the greatest at the most important position in the game. The fact that anybody that watches hockey would think Doan is better than Elias, shows how underrated Elias really was.

Hope your friend's wife has gotten better, by the way.:nod:

She's doing well thank you. :)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I'm in that same age group and it is a weird sentimental feeling to watch a guy retire when you can distinctly remember them breaking into the league. Heck when Chipper Jones retired a few years ago, I had this odd urge to go watch him one last time even though I was never really a fan of his. Back in my peak baseball card collecting days, Jones' rookie card was a hot commodity.

When Patty does officially announce his retirement, I decided to go have a nice dinner to commemorate the 2000 Cup squad.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Also, kinda sad that Brylin hasn't gotten his retired. He's the only member of the 3cup club that didn't =/

Elias will be the first 2 time cup winner to go up to our rafters

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4