Patrik Elias

Evergreen

Hey guys, Flyers fan here but I like what you guys are doing there in NJ right now. The Hall trade was excellent.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what's up with Patrik Elias. Looks like he is a UFA, but hasn't announced his retirement officially. Is he hoping to sign with the Devils if there is an injury? Or would he entertain offers from another team?

Or is Patty basically retired at this point? I feel he could still bring some skill to a team's middle-six if he still has the desire to play.

Thanks!

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Hey guys, Flyers fan here but I like what you guys are doing there in NJ right now. The Hall trade was excellent.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what's up with Patrik Elias. Looks like he is a UFA, but hasn't announced his retirement officially. Is he hoping to sign with the Devils if there is an injury? Or would he entertain offers from another team?

Or is Patty basically retired at this point? I feel he could still bring some skill to a team's middle-six if he still has the desire to play.

Thanks!

To add to what ZBC said, Elias had off-season surgery almost immediately following the Devils season last year. At this point, Elias is taking time to rehab his knee and getting to 100% before he makes a decision on whether he wants to continue playing. Elias and Shero have both said that repeatedly and it seems as though they are going to cross that bridge when the time comes. Elias has still been participating in team meetings -- as he did when he was injured last year -- and skates at the Devils facility every day, just not with the team.

My guess is that if Elias wants to come back, I doubt Shero stands in the way of that. Then again, that depends on where the Devils are at when he's ready. However, it seems like that won't come until November or December which honestly might be the best situation for both sides. I doubt a 41 year old Elias would be able to withstand an 82 game season, but playing 50-60~ games from December to April should be much easier.

Seems like at this point is either NJ or retirement when he's ready to make the call. I find it very unlikely he will sign with another team, but I think Devils fans have learned not to rule out that possibility.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I doubt a 41 year old Elias would be able to withstand an 82 game season, but playing 50-60~ games from December to April should be much easier.

If he could come back around New Year's Day he would be a nice 3rd line addition for the final 45 games.

Given Skeletor likes to have players with some skill at the bottom, Elias could even play 4th line, at least to start with.

Evergreen

I hope Elias comes back for one more go. I have always enjoyed watching him play. I'm a Flyers fan but I went to college in NYC and I watched so many Devils games on my little dorm room TV. I loved the EGG line back in 2005-06.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Really hope that Elias comes back at some point this season and does well.

He's perhaps my favorite all-time Devil - would be great to watch him play with Zacha and just have a nice end to his career.

Will hopefully be there for his last game as a Devil (if he does make it back) and will absolutely be there when they retire his jersey, as it will be a long time before that happens again in NJ.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe Mr. Miyagi can pay him a visit and heal his leg/knee.

Then he can be our 3rd line center.

"Miyagi fix Russian in playoff 4 years ago, now Miyagi fix Czech"

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'll take the Elias from 2 years ago centering the 3rd line when Zacha or somebody is injured. 3rd line LW when he's healthy.

Elias would have to have had his leg amputated to possibly be worse than Josefson or Kalinin in that spot.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd love to see

Hall-Henrique-Bennett
Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Zacha-PAP
Kalinin-Fiddler-Lappin

I'd be cool with that.

We allowed Ruutu to dress for THIRTY THREE games last year! We allowed Matteau to suit up for 20 games last year.

If Patty can't do better than what they did, I don't even know why he'd wanna try to make a comeback at all.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I think quite a few players could learn from Elias rather than just Zacha. His two way play and professional would most definitely rub off on guys. I also still think he can play in the NHL at a decent enough level because of his ability to think the game at such a high level. What do we have to lose bringing him back for half a year? He'll be well rested and you know he's keeping himself at a high level athletically.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Anyway the chatter sounds like mid to late January might be when we get an answer on Patty

I hope if we're in a huge hole come January, he doesn't just decide to say **** it retire anyway, even if he can play.

I'd like to try him out as soon as he's able to play. We don't have any forwards worth calling him from Albany outside of JQ and Blandisi. It seems like Blandisi might not be up for a while and they may have soured on him like Boucher. And we've got all the other worthwhile call ups on forward already up in Wood and Lappin.

And who cares if we lose Josefson to waivers or have to send Kalinin to the AHL (I think he's waiver exempt anyway) to give Patty a spot? Not I.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I hope if we're in a huge hole come January, he doesn't just decide to say **** it retire anyway, even if he can play.

I'd like to try him out as soon as he's able to play. We don't have any forwards worth calling him from Albany outside of JQ and Blandisi. It seems like Blandisi might not be up for a while and they may have soured on him like Boucher. And we've got all the other worthwhile call ups on forward already up in Wood and Lappin.

And who cares if we lose Josefson to waivers or have to send Kalinin to the AHL (I think he's waiver exempt anyway) to give Patty a spot? Not I.

I hadn't even thought of that till now but yeech, yeah I wouldn't neccesarily want him coming back in meaningless games unless I suppose it's as a mentor as much as anything, he's not going to get a better meaningless sendoff game than he did last year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hadn't even thought of that till now but yeech, yeah I wouldn't neccesarily want him coming back in meaningless games unless I suppose it's as a mentor as much as anything, he's not going to get a better meaningless sendoff game than he did last year.

I'd like him to come back now or at least start practicing with the team if he's ready. We have absolutely no use for a few of the forwards we're carrying around.

Not even sure why we're afraid to waive Josefson at this point or send Kalinin to Albany. I don't think Kalinin has to go through waivers.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I'd like him to come back now or at least start practicing with the team if he's ready. We have absolutely no use for a few of the forwards we're carrying around.

Not even sure why we're afraid to waive Josefson at this point or send Kalinin to Albany. I don't think Kalinin has to go through waivers.

I think Kalinin has to go through waivers, but who cares at this point if we lose him or Josefson. If Blandisi or Quenneville come up and are horrific, is that really much worse than what Kalinin or JJ have shown? We know what we're getting with those two already, why not see what the kids have to offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad