Patrick

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Patrick is a 2C, even with his struggles he has a solid xGF, he plays both ends of the ice.
Needs experience, more strength and some success. But he has the entire skill package, nothing outstanding but all above average, as he fills out and learns some tricks, he'll be able to establish himself in the slot.
Next season he should be 2C, Frost 3C and Giroux back at LW.
Let them take their lumps. They're the future.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Patrick is a 2C, even with his struggles he has a solid xGF, he plays both ends of the ice.
Needs experience, more strength and some success. But he has the entire skill package, nothing outstanding but all above average, as he fills out and learns some tricks, he'll be able to establish himself in the slot.
Next season he should be 2C, Frost 3C and Giroux back at LW.
Let them take their lumps. They're the future.
When you can’t outpoint Robert Hagg for the first half of the season despite spending a significant amount of time at 2C, you haven’t proved you can be relied on in the 2C role. A few glimpses of high level talent aren’t enough—the Flyers made that mistake already this year.

When Patrick shows some consistency & earns the spot over a full season, great. But that hasn’t come close to happening yet.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I did some comparisons and last year Patrick produced exactly as much as the average forward his age in his draft position should. Right on the money. The company he was with for comparables was quite solid, you'll have to forgive me for not remembering specifics.

I did all this because people were yelling about him busting last season.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
That slide the puck, cut across snap shot was the most assertive 1v1 move I’ve seen him perform yet. He needs to keep on being more creative on puck getting around and through defenders, changing shot angles, body angle, using edges, etc.

Even learning to spot up better off puck is a good recipe. Unfortunately, Simmonds and Laughton aren’t exactly the kind to play create for him.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
That slide the puck, cut across snap shot was the most assertive 1v1 move I’ve seen him perform yet. He needs to keep on being more creative on puck getting around and through defenders, changing shot angles, body angle, using edges, etc.
What about the move against Klingberg? I thought that one was a bit stronger of a move. He just didn’t score off it.
Just watched it again. It’s more of a 2v1. Laughton is on the boards and he fakes the pass to him and skates right by Klingberg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What about the move against Klingberg? I thought that one was a bit stronger of a move. He just didn’t score off it.

I thought that was a pretty lazy play by Klingberg at the blue line tbh (rewatched it just now: yup lol). But that was a nice skating move, a quick body fake inside/out. It really wasn’t crazy though; it was a pretty normal skating play with open ice in front. He probably shouldn’t have gotten that much room by anything he did necessarily.

I’m more talking about using his hands and puck skills in more creative ways against defenders. That was a move TK/Giroux would’ve done. I do think the off puck part is pretty important too, finding soft spots. Not everything has to be self-generated.

Reactions: VladDrag

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I thought that was a pretty lazy play by Klingberg at the blue line tbh (rewatched it just now: yup lol). But that was a nice skating move, a quick body fake inside/out. It really wasn’t crazy though; it was a pretty normal skating play with open ice in front. He probably shouldn’t have gotten that much room by anything he did necessarily.

I’m more talking about using his hands and puck skills in more creative ways against defenders. That was a move TK/Giroux would’ve done. I do think the off puck part is pretty important too, finding soft spots. Not everything has to be self-generated.

Yeah. I thought the move he made last night was a reactionary move, in the same vein as against Klingberg. He just looked up saw what the defender was trying to do, and make a move that paid off. I think they are both pretty equal in assertion tbh.

To me this showed more hands as opposed to skating (klingberg), but both were awesome plays.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It's a huge adjustment from junior that can really destroy a young stars confidence. I think it was really good for Patrick that G moved back to center which slots him as the 3C. Much less pressure and easier opponents give him time to regain his confidence.
I'm optimistic because of the confidence that Hart, Patrick, Konecny, Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Hagg, etc. have in their own ability, whatever frustrations they have. They know they belong in the NHL and expect to win. To his credit, Hexy picked some pretty smart kids who have confidence but are not arrogant about it. And Morin (LOL! but he was Homer's). Bodes well.

Last edited:

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
Wrist shot on that second goal was dirty, happy I caught that live.

Those of us who don’t follow juniors irrationally expect the #2 pick (who previously was regarded as #1 before injuries) to step in and play at a Matthews type level from day 1. We’re fortunate to have G and Coots to shoulder the heavy lifting down the middle for the time being, we should be grateful and take advantage. Let him grown into his own then let G slide back to wing and move him back up to 2C

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I love the idea of what this kid can become. Keep on keepin’ on Rosy Cheeks.

He is a horrific interview though. Every 4th word is “obviously” haha.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I think patricks the kind of player who needs to be the best player on his line. That would explain why he looks much more comfortable with Simmonds n Laughton than he did with Jake.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Patrick is busting.... all over the dumb *****es who wanted to write him off after a season and a half.
I regret not saving a file of posts of people saying ridiculous things about him (like calling him a bust) over the last few months.

I kept saying I was going to do it but I forgot.

The best way to teach people a lesson is to embarrass them publicly. ;) Maybe they'd finally learn their lesson about writing off young players, like we saw with Couturier, Patrick, Sanheim, TK, Lindblom, etc etc etc etc...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's why I always separate 5x5 and PP scoring (ES can be odd, similar to 5x5 for most players, but some players get a big ES jump due to higher scoring at 4x4 and end of games/EN).

5x5 is more a measure of a player's talent.
PP scoring reflects both a player's fit on the PP, and how talented the PP is and how it's structured (1st group gets lion share of minutes or more evenly split). Some top PP scorers are mediocre 5x5 players.

Patrick is a work in progress, but he's putting up respectable numbers, and geez, he's only 20 years old coming off two injury marred seasons. And he works hard on defense, which is rare for big scoring junior players, coaches often have to scream at these kids for years before they understand that in the NHL, you're actually expected to back check.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Mark Howe's assessment of Nolan Patrick was dead on. He said that he needs to want the puck more and be more assertive on the ice. That can come with confidence. Hopefully these last games are the catalyst to him just being alpha dog on the ice. And when people criticize that way a player is playing; it doesn't mean they are writing them off. Nolan Patrick has way too much talent to be playing so passive like he was early in the year. But young players sometimes defer too much to the vets early on. Patrick needs to shoot and then shoot some more. That wrister is deadly. he needs to have no conscience about shooting ala Jeff Carter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad