Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Oh look more time travel.

I miss when Star Trek had science fiction writers who could write 26 stories per season and include time travel in only 1 of them, give or take. It seems like the people on these new shows run out of ideas after only 1 season of 10 episodes. Discovery Seasons 2 and 3 were both about time travel and Picard Season 2 is, too, apparently. In fact, Discovery Season 4 is also set 900 years into the future and Picard Season 3 is supposedly being filmed together with Season 2, so both of those will likely involve time, as well. At least we can likely count on Strange New Worlds being a welcome break from the topic... until its Season 2.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
You know, time travel was old in Star Trek around 1996. First Contact gets a huge asterisk from me for basing a horror movie around a time travel plot and recycling Khan is Ahab for Picard.

They've been using it since too much. The Time Police even called out Janeway in Voyager a few years later.

There's no point in doing another time travel show when the other dumb series (Discovery) based an entire season on it and you have this thing from Stewart's native land that is all about time travel (Doctor Who). But since Guinan is involved, it can't be just what she's up to now.

Hollywood is so broken. I didn't mind Season 1 I give it a B- or B. There's no way this is going to be great, we'll be lucky if its good at times. I only ask for the following:

-No Narek. He was the worst character on the show. Freaking Hipster Romulan.
-More for Elnor to do and more for Laris and Zhabon, they were great.
-Less Jurati. She stunk. We as fans don't need a Gwen Cooper from Torchwood or Jubilee from the X-Men Animated Series "represent the audience/fish out of water" person.

Finally:

-Please give me 1701-E or 1701-F and some real damn ships. I want to know what the Enterprise is up to. Internet fans trying to defend Riker's fleet in the last episode of Season 1. You can't. That fleet was pathetic.

Reactions: Guardian17

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The only good ST time travel episode in the last 30 years were Far Beyond the Stars and Past Tense (Both episodes)

Prove me wrong.

The best part of Far Beyond the Stars is how the brought in actual experiences from DC Fontana(any of you do not know who DC Fontana is you need to look into her) into the script--people focus on the Black/White race relations of that episode but there is so much more.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
pic-s2-keyart-1-427x640-1.jpg

This is the actual official poster for season 2. Made me laugh.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
pic-s2-keyart-1-427x640-1.jpg

This is the actual official poster for season 2. Made me laugh.

That looks like a modern cityscape. Are they traveling back in time to our time, give or take a few decades? I originally hoped that the series would take Star Trek back to the 1990s, but this isn't what I had in mind.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
That looks like a modern cityscape. Are they traveling back in time to our time, give or take a few decades? I originally hoped that the series would take Star Trek back to the 1990s, but this isn't what I had in mind.

Elnor with the Do-Rag?

Seriously, if they base a season off time travel and "fish out of water" they will lose half the audience by episode 3. No one wants to see more time travel in Star Trek. Future. Enterprise-F. New young captain, Cardassians in Star Fleet. It's so easy.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
You could literally build a series about figuring out what would frighten a Q. What would give the Q nighmares. Then at the end of the series, someone claps their hands or snaps their finger and the whole Trek Verse goes to black for a decade while they clean out the current show runners and writers with a flame thrower.

Or better yet, do an apology to the fans for Discovery completely wrecking the mirror universe, by doing a Star Trek Series that covers the founding of the Empre. A show where they try to make you cheer for evil, because they give you an reason beyond the derp these people are evil for the way the Mirror Universe turned out the way it is.

There's a great story line there.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I assume it's going to be present time, but I don't know.

Present day would be cheaper and easier. It makes location shooting, props, costumes, extras etc. all easier and less expensive to deal with.

I thought the poster was funny because once again they have this obsession with the Starfleet insignia. They try and work it into everything. Even Picard's dog has it on his collar. In the first episode of STD they make an insignia in the dirt so they can be found by the Shenzhou.

Also, a consistent theme with Star Trek going back to 2009 is outer space being de-emphasized in the marketing materials. And here we see it again in this poster.

Reactions: Osprey

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
"Fixing the timeline" is a Star Trek trope we've seen before.

It would be like if they made a Captain Worf series about Worf trying to restore his family honor.

Also, doesn't Q know that Picard is a Golem? He's not actually talking to Picard, he's talking to a copy of him.

I predict in S2 the Golem will be killed and the original Picard will be brought back via the timeline change or via Q magic.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Remarkable to me that there might be people actually looking forward to a season 2 of Star Trek Picard.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I thought the poster was funny because once again they have this obsession with the Starfleet insignia. They try and work it into everything. Even Picard's dog has it on his collar. In the first episode of STD they make an insignia in the dirt so they can be found by the Shenzhou.

That's what I assumed that you meant, which is I why I commented on the era that it was suggesting, instead. I agree that their obsession with the Starfleet insignia is a little strange. It's as if they're compensating how unlike Star Trek the shows actually are. For example, in the first episode of STD that you mentioned, Burnham acted nothing like a Starfleet First Officer would, so drawing the insignia in the sand was one of the few things that told us that we were actually watching Star Trek.
Also, a consistent theme with Star Trek going back to 2009 is outer space being de-emphasized in the marketing materials. And here we see it again in this poster.

I think that they're afraid that emphasizing space will limit the appeal. In the 80s and 90s, they emphasized space in the marketing and most of the films took in around $100M each, which was profitable, but nowhere near the $300M+ of a Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie. Nowadays, they want something that attracts more than just a niche audience of nerds, which I think has something to do with them casting an actress for Discovery that was in The Walking Dead, a show that has the kind of wider appeal that they crave. I'm afraid that the days of Star Trek being sci-fi for the sake and love of sci-fi are basically over and it's now just a vehicle for Paramount to exploit for commercial and social ends.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Their obsession with the Starfleet insignia is a little strange. It strikes me as similar to people flaunting their flag as if to say "look at how patriotic I am," except that it's "look at how 'Star Trek' our show is." In the first episode of STD that you mentioned, Burnham acted nothing like a Starfleet First Officer would, so drawing the insignia in the sand was one of the few things that told us that we were actually watching Star Trek.
I think it's also part of trying to making Star Trek "cool". They need a cool logo.

If you think about it, it doesn't even make sense because in NuTrek Starfleet is basically evil and often the antagonist.

I think that they're afraid that emphasizing space will limit the appeal. In the 80s and 90s, they emphasized space in the marketing and most of the films took in around $100M each, which was profitable, but nowhere near the $300M+ of a Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie. Nowadays, they want something that attracts more than just a niche audience of nerds, which I think has something to do with them casting an actress for Discovery that was in The Walking Dead, a show that has the kind of wider appeal that they crave. I'm afraid that the days of Star Trek being sci-fi for the sake and love of sci-fi are basically over and it's now just a vehicle for Paramount to exploit for commercial and social reasons.
It seems like there's a space based movie every other year that does really well. I mean obviously Star Wars is a space film as well.

Some years back, I was listening to a Bob Orci interview where he discussed writing Into Darkness. On the subject of studio interference, he said that Paramount had told them Star Trek movies feature Earth prominently do better than Star Trek movies that don't.

Anyone who actually knows Star Trek, understands that it's just a coincidence. But corporate-studio-think is "Star Trek has to have Earth in it".

Thus ST09 and STID are earth based and ST marketing materials de-emphasize space.

It's also the reason for the Yorktown space station in Star Trek Beyond. It's a stand-in for earth. Prior to making the movie, Paramount marketing research showed one of fans biggest complaints about the prior two movies was lack of deep space and exploration. That's why the movie is called "Beyond". At the sametime, Paramount still wanted Earth in the movie, so the compromise was to create the Yorktown Space Station as a stand-in.

The rumored script for the 4th NuTrek film involved time travel, and I'm pretty sure the plan was to go back to Earth as well, where Kirk would meet his Dad.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If Paramount want to have a franchise that's both box-office extravaganza and critically acclaimed, they should pony up the money for Kevin Feige. Sign him to be executive producer and give him full creative control over both TV and movies.

Yeah, he's primarily a Marvel universe enthusiast but I'd be surprised if he didn't know Star Trek.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think it's also part of trying to making Star Trek "cool". They need a cool logo.

If you think about it, it doesn't even make sense because in NuTrek Starfleet is basically evil and often the antagonist.

It seems like there's a space based movie every other year that does really well. I mean obviously Star Wars is a space film as well.

Some years back, I was listening to a Bob Orci interview where he discussed writing Into Darkness. On the subject of studio interference, he said that Paramount had told them Star Trek movies feature Earth prominently do better than Star Trek movies that don't.

Anyone who actually knows Star Trek, understands that it's just a coincidence. But corporate-studio-think is "Star Trek has to have Earth in it".

Thus ST09 and STID are earth based and ST marketing materials de-emphasize space.

It's also the reason for the Yorktown space station in Star Trek Beyond. It's a stand-in for earth. Prior to making the movie, Paramount marketing research showed one of fans biggest complaints about the prior two movies was lack of deep space and exploration. That's why the movie is called "Beyond". At the sametime, Paramount still wanted Earth in the movie, so the compromise was to create the Yorktown Space Station as a stand-in.

The rumored script for the 4th NuTrek film involved time travel, and I'm pretty sure the plan was to go back to Earth as well, where Kirk would meet his Dad.
The Wrath of Khan barely features Earth and is generally the consensus best film in the franchise as well as a highly profitable one because it was made so cheaply.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Enough with this Time Travel Bullshit, yawn.

It looks like the result of throwing Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: The Next Generation into a blender.

BTW, didn't that scientist lady murder a guy in Season 1? Why is she still accepted as a member of the crew? On second thought, I know that there's no good answer, so never mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Looks like garbage.

"We have to go back and repair the past." I've only seen this time travel setup / trope a thousand times before.

The second half of the trailer was particularly bad. Lots of lame attempts at humor.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Enough with this Time Travel Bullshit, yawn.

It looks like the result of throwing Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: The Next Generation into a blender.

BTW, didn't that doctor lady murder a guy in Season 1? Why is she still accepted as a member of the crew? On second thought, I know that there's no good answer, so never mind.

Looks like garbage.

"We have to go back and repair the past." I've only seen this time travel setup / trope a thousand times before.

The second half of the trailer was particularly bad. Lots of lame attempts at humor.

Oh look....time travel....again! :skeptic:

And hey....lets throw in the Borg again too! :thumbd:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad