Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
While watching the last episode, it crossed my mind that the doctor...
...might be an android created by Maddox to be his partner (in research and intimately). After all, that notion isn't new at all in Star Trek. It happened a few times in TOS and even happened in TNG. In fact, remember that scene in TNG when Data shows a white-haired lady his paintings of his daughter? That lady turned out to be an android made by her husband. Pretty much any time in Star Trek that an ingenious man has a female partner or wife, that "woman" ends up being an android that he created.

I'm sure that some of you had the same thought. I had nothing but a hunch to support that, though, until I watched this just now...

Near the end of that video, the guys make an observation.
They observe that, early in Episode 5, just before beaming down to Freecloud, the crew is greeted by digital, holographic salesmen that are seemingly tailored to each crewman. A mechanic character tries to entice Captain Rios to his garage, a dressed up girl invites Picard to afternoon tea, a shady character invites Raffi to a drug den and a boxing robot invites the doctor... not to be a customer, but... to submit her resume. It's a bit hard to make out, but, if you turn subtitles on, you get: "The Freecloud Institute of Entertainment Robotics is now hiring. Submit your resume today. <unintelligible> Submit your resume." Now, you could reason that they know that she's an android expert and are trying to recruit her in that capacity. That would make sense and seems to be what the RLM guys figured.

On the other hand, what if the writers were dropping a big clue that she's an android because the business is actually trying to recruit her as one of its robotic combatants to fight each other for the entertainment of the living? After all, it's not addressing her like she's an expert. It's picking a fight with her and wants her to engage and knock its head off. Now, of course, it wouldn't make any sense for the business to know that she's an android and the Federation to not, but I think that it's safe to say that these writers don't care too much about things making sense as long as the story is moved along and they can get in their nods and winks, and this would be a large wink if true, a clue that the writers put in like an easter egg for viewers to realize at a later date.

On top of all of that, having her be an android who turned on and killed the master who created her is in line with the theme of synthetic revolt and betrayal that the season revolves around.

We'll see, but I'm even more on board with the theory now.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You probably don't want that. He'll just complain about everything, as I do... which is why I want him to return. I miss ranting about these new Trek series with him :laugh:.

I can rant! This episode while not as bad was still just kind of sucked. I don't like this universe they created, Picard as buck Rodgers while Starfleet is for the most part completely absent. There are a ton of shows I can watch with Space Cowboys, this was a chance to see where this universe headed and they pretty much blew it up. The acting is pretty bad as is some of the plot lines, they don't make much sense. This whole Romulans against the synth storyline is a bit absurd like this is what they are focused on when they are trying to survive. P

I see next week they add a possibly washed up, and fat Franks to the show.

Was their intention to make Picard a dribbling idiot or is that just how it turned out...

Reactions: Osprey

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What a travesty, I can't believe they did that to Icheb.

Star Trek is dead in this new era. Congrats, apologists, your boy Kurtzman has turned Trek on to it's head and morphed it in to a abomination.

Long live the Orville

i posted this in the other star trek thread. but i am not enjoying this at all.
I mean Deep Space Nine is my favourite star trek, so i love the "underbelly" view of paradise but this... it's not really entertaining or fun for me. at all.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
The RLM reviews of this are hilarious.

Yeah, while I don't agree with everything he says about Star Trek, I'm pretty much in line with him when it comes to the Next Gen movies and the Kurtzman stuff.
(I definitely disagree with his obsession about Star Trek and one-off episodes, because I feel Star Trek utterly exhausted itself when it came to such episodes)

It really bugs me what they're doing with the Romulans. Romulus getting destroyed wouldn't break their spirit, IMO. They would probably just close up their borders, tell everyone to screw-off, and stay silent for the next century or so.

The Cardassians would make way more sense if they wanted to do a modern politic take on things. Why? I feel:
-Many Federation citizens probably resented what happened with all the colonists getting evicted that lived on the Federation/Cardassian border. All that grief was all in a service to a peace treaty that failed.
-Cardassian leadership was probably already on the downturn, but Gul Dukat and the Dominion crushed it completely, leaving Cardassian society with no good leadership at all.
-Cardassian economy is completed devastated by the war, causing a mass immigration into all of civilized space. Because of the Dominion war, most people don't feel accepting those who sold out the Alpha Quadrant for a grab at power.
-The border worlds would have the strongest resentment, and when the Federation council allows Cardassians in, they started banding together to form a group called New Maquis(or Fedxit if you want to be on the nose about it).
-Bajor could be a newer Federation member, which is becoming a economic powerhouse itself because of the wormhole and because of having recovered from the Occupation. The population could be bitterly divided in between leaving the Federation and staying, with many openly supporting the New Maquis.
-Also it would be a followup to Deep Space Nine, the best Star Trek series... well IMO at least. ;)
.... but I guess we couldn't have Romulan ninjas then.

Anyways, I was going to watch Picard after the first season ends and binge watch it. I don't feel like I can now. But if you like it, that's cool. What I'm hearing is that it sounds kinda like a Farscape-like show. I liked Farscape. Maybe I'll come around. I know a lot of people who loved TOS hated TNG at first. At least that's what I've heard...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yeah, while I don't agree with everything he says about Star Trek, I'm pretty much in line with him when it comes to the Next Gen movies and the Kurtzman stuff.
(I definitely disagree with his obsession about Star Trek and one-off episodes, because I feel Star Trek utterly exhausted itself when it came to such episodes)

It really bugs me what they're doing with the Romulans. Romulus getting destroyed wouldn't break their spirit, IMO. They would probably just close up their borders, tell everyone to screw-off, and stay silent for the next century or so.

The Cardassians would make way more sense if they wanted to do a modern politic take on things. Why? I feel:
-Many Federation citizens probably resented what happened with all the colonists getting evicted that lived on the Federation/Cardassian border. All that grief was all in a service to a peace treaty that failed.
-Cardassian leadership was probably already on the downturn, but Gul Dukat and the Dominion crushed it completely, leaving Cardassian society with no good leadership at all.
-Cardassian economy is completed devastated by the war, causing a mass immigration into all of civilized space. Because of the Dominion war, most people don't feel accepting those who sold out the Alpha Quadrant for a grab at power.
-The border worlds would have the strongest resentment, and when the Federation council allows Cardassians in, they started banding together to form a group called New Maquis(or Fedxit if you want to be on the nose about it).
-Bajor could be a newer Federation member, which is becoming a economic powerhouse itself because of the wormhole and because of having recovered from the Occupation. The population could be bitterly divided in between leaving the Federation and staying, with many openly supporting the New Maquis.
-Also it would be a followup to Deep Space Nine, the best Star Trek series... well IMO at least. ;)
.... but I guess we couldn't have Romulan ninjas then.

Anyways, I was going to watch Picard after the first season ends and binge watch it. I don't feel like I can now. But if you like it, that's cool. What I'm hearing is that it sounds kinda like a Farscape-like show. I liked Farscape. Maybe I'll come around. I know a lot of people who loved TOS hated TNG at first. At least that's what I've heard...

oh i agree.
I honestly think they missed a huge plot twist having this tie in with the ramifications/fall out of the Dominion War. which also included Star Fleet's Underbelly (section 31 etc). they could still have had Picard because he was tortured by the Cardassians, and was burned by the Maquis (with Ro).

I don't think bajor would have become a Federation member because Sisko was super adamant that "Bajor Stands Alone" (we know why, to be fair) but i think that really would stand strong even all those years later.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
oh i agree.
I honestly think they missed a huge plot twist having this tie in with the ramifications/fall out of the Dominion War. which also included Star Fleet's Underbelly (section 31 etc). they could still have had Picard because he was tortured by the Cardassians, and was burned by the Maquis (with Ro).

I don't think bajor would have become a Federation member because Sisko was super adamant that "Bajor Stands Alone" (we know why, to be fair) but i think that really would stand strong even all those years later.

Pretty much this.

You could replace the Romulans with the Cadassians, and instead of some Pejorative Slured science that makes 0 f***ing sense, even from a Star Trek perspective, have the Federation deal with the fact that they have a former enemy who's economy has been destroyed, it's military practically annihilated, and large portions of it's civilian populace brutally culled in an act of genocide by the Dominion. How does the Federation deal with this humanitarian crisis? It's likely to be the most severe crisis of this type the Federation has ever faced. You can also show how militarized the Federation has become. They spent 4 odd years in constant total war, first with the Klingon's and then with the Dominion, the latter being a war that encompassed the entirety of the Alpha and Beta quadrants. We saw shades of what happens when Starfleet becomes scared and militarized in Homefront and Paradise. You can expand upon this and go a step further with that concept.

I just made a better story than Picard.

Hire me CBS

(And don't steal my idea)

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I've only made it through the 1st two episodes. For me the biggest thing about Stark Trek was a hopeful vision of the future and humanity. This is just depressing seeing the Federation turned into a bunch of Xenophobic isolationists.
This.

That was what really set Star Trek apart from every other sci-fi show. Now, it is the same as everything else while also failing at being good in the genre. This is the result of writers trying to shoehorn current year politics and having Alex Kurtzman at the helm.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I've only made it through the 1st two episodes. For me the biggest thing about Stark Trek was a hopeful vision of the future and humanity. This is just depressing seeing the Federation turned into a bunch of Xenophobic isolationists.

Like I've said before, since a 2nd season has been confirmed, it's very likely the bigger arc is Picard fighting to change the Federation. It's also unrealistic to expect things to remain unchanged after such a cataclysmic event with the Romulans. Plus it's been proven before that the Federation/Starfleet are infiltratable.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Like I've said before, since a 2nd season has been confirmed, it's very likely the bigger arc is Picard fighting to change the Federation. It's also unrealistic to expect things to remain unchanged after such a cataclysmic event with the Romulans. Plus it's been proven before that the Federation/Starfleet are infiltratable.

Two seasons of Picard being a bumbling idiot and then he's going to restore the federation to it's glory days. They way they have him set up now that sounds like a larger stretch than anything. He seems...eh kind of washed up. .."should probably have stayed in bed.."

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Two seasons of Picard being a bumbling idiot and then he's going to restore the federation to it's glory days. They way they have him set up now that sounds like a larger stretch than anything. He seems...eh kind of washed up. .."should probably have stayed in bed.."

He's 90 and none of those things.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't mind the darker future. It makes for compelling drama IMO. I really liked this week's episode. Riker is my favorite TNG character.

Reactions: Jussi

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He's all of those things in this show aside from the actor is actually 79. I don't think it has anything to do with his ability to act at his age, it's how he's written.

The character though is 90 and adrift. He's been out of the game awhile and struggling a bit. I think it suits the series

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad