News Article: Patrick O'Sullivan to Edmonton; Justin Williams to LA (3-way Trade)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Being originally from Montreal (and only having moved to LA in 2010), I could have told you this was a steal. I hated Justin Williams, which usually means he's good. Now as a Kings fan, I can see why, he's just a buzzsaw who can snipe.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I said something dumb in this thread, not not nearly as dumb as some other posts. One guy said O'Sullivan would be a point-per-game player

I was surprised that I didn't have a previous post in this thread that was pro-O'Sullivan. I will confess that I didn't like the trade at the time, but it was more about the contracts. O'Sullivan would have been RFA after his deal whereas Williams was UFA after two seasons. I suppose the lesson is to go for the better player. It's too bad that O'Sullivan floundered immediately afterwards.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I suppose the lesson is to go for the better player. It's too bad that O'Sullivan floundered immediately afterwards.

He was okay for a little bit, but his nickname POS matched his usefulness within a full season.

Yep, team who gets the best player wins. That's why trading down from #1, #2, #3 in a draft is never a good idea unless you think you'll get a better player.

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
Not sure if you are saying DL drafting Kopitar was a good move but if you are, DL didn't draft Kopitar. That was Taylor.

Credit taylor for the draft, but credit dl for building the locker room and development. Kopitar in la would not be the same as kopitar in Columbus.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Credit taylor for the draft, but credit dl for building the locker room and development. Kopitar in la would not be the same as kopitar in Columbus.

10000% agree. I don't give Taylor much credit for Kopitar or Quick (or even Brown for that matter). He showed them the way into the organization but the real grooming came under DL and crew.

Willard

Kings All The Way
Sep 15, 2004
Just Off Highway 1
As a player, this guy is focused, and he is a force. JW is one troop that no one is ever sorry to have in their platoon, believe you me.

I posted this 5 years ago, right after the trade, Post #346, arguing against those who hated trading Patrick O'Sullivan for Williams.

Told you so.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
I said something dumb in this thread, not not nearly as dumb as some other posts. One guy said O'Sullivan would be a point-per-game player

To be fair, if O'Sullivan had stayed in the Kings development program, maybe he could have been a player of that caliber. Of course, not literally a point-per-game (even Kopitar isn't in this system), but that caliber could have been possible.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
To be fair, if O'Sullivan had stayed in the Kings development program, maybe he could have been a player of that caliber. Of course, not literally a point-per-game (even Kopitar isn't in this system), but that caliber could have been possible.

I highly doubt the difference between O'Sullivan being a point-per-game NHL caliber forward and being completely out of hockey after bouncing around the league and indeed the world is simply due to him not being in the Kings system. The problem was and is between his ears. The downslide started before he ever left LA.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Mark my word.

Sully will outscore Williams upon his return until either of their retirement.

I don't underestimate Williams at all but I think too many of you are overlooking Sully's skills.

Sully WILL be a PPG guy.

After scrolling this entire thread and reading maybe half of the posts, this ^^^^ one wins the bump award.

Nice work 63! :D

Many were in the running.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Well, I didn't necessarily bag on Williams, but I did complain about not getting Erik Cole instead.

Thank god Lombardi is the GM and not any of us. :laugh:

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
LOL, funny to look back on what people had to say about this deal. From Williams is injury prone, to....and this was the best, Sullivan will outscore Williams. So, Williams has been pretty much healthy since arriving in LA, and Sullivan became an absolute bust after he was dealt from LA. Dean won, yet another, deal......hands down.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
LOL, funny to look back on what people had to say about this deal. From Williams is injury prone, to....and this was the best, Sullivan will outscore Williams. So, Williams has been pretty much healthy since arriving in LA, and Sullivan became an absolute bust after he was dealt from LA. Dean won, yet another, deal......hands down.

Boy, have those past opinions change since that trade.Two cups and where is O' Sullivan now?The overall attitude of the past for fans has definitely changed,as we as fans have been blessed and spoiled with the recent success of this team.Some of the screen names i do see here today and some i don't,maybe they left or simply changed their screen names.I admit i wasn't a trooper either on the trade as i thought Dean was reckless on that trade.I'm glad i too was wrong and as its been said time and time again on here,i'm glad Dean is in charge and not us...

grncobra76

Aug 2, 2005
Upland
Again T is correct.
This is what I like, WHEN Williams comes back from his injuries:

Proven 30 goal scorer with a ring, produces points in playoff games/reg games.
vs.
Potential 25-30 goal scorer, never played one NHL playoff game.

I'll take Williams.

I loved the trade, Williams is/was great for this team. Wow some classic posters in this thread. Historical!

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I didn't comment here but I remember writing over at LGK that I was fine with the trade until the Kings had to bump the offer to include a 2nd rounder, then I felt the Kings were giving up too much (remember that? the trade got leaked and Edmonton backed out, the Kings had to include a 2nd rounder to finish the deal).

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
After scrolling this entire thread and reading maybe half of the posts, this ^^^^ one wins the bump award.

Nice work 63! :D

Many were in the running.

Thanks! :)

In my defense, Sully did have the talent. The guy had quick feet and great set of hands. I just wasn't aware how unstable the guy was. Just unfortunate I suppose.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles

I think a lot of people were still reeling from the injury catastrophes of the early 2000s, and were suspicious of anyone with an injury-prone label.

How the times have changed, now we're hoping to sign a 32-year-old Marian Gaborik!

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Exactly, and the Kings now have him in the face of a deescalating cap. @ 3.5 per. if he scores 60pts and adds in all his "intangibles," that's a steal.

Yeah I don't really get this sentiment that the deal didn't need a second, or whatever.

EDMONTON was not happy about Williams coming to Los Angeles.
When they found out, is how the deal almost fell apart, they would have taken Williams straight up for Cole. Carolina needed to keep it all together and needed a 2nd to move the trade along and make it happen.

I hate to tell you, a healthy Williams is not fetchable for an underperforming (albeit with some potential) offensive player that's 24 years old.

I cannot wait to revisit this thread in 365 days. Bookmarked.

You're totally and completely wrong. If Justin comes back at 85% of his former form. Even 80%, next season, with 2+ years left on his deal @ 3.5, he costs more in a move at ANY time of the year than a massively underperforming (albeit, highly talented) player w/ a well documented reputation, and a very low 2nd (being calgarys at the moment). That's just the reality of the situation.

Just listen to me when I tell you; how much you like a guy matters in hockey. It doesnt matter in football. It doesnt matter in baseball. It probably sort of matters in basketball. It really matters in hockey.

This thread reminded me of how much I enjoyed VictoryRose's posts. Shared sentiment most of the time aside, the dude was dead on right most of the time. One of the old timers I wish would swing by again one of these days.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Williams almost returned to a 60p player. He is a dominant possession winger that will give 40 to 55 points a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad