News Article: Patrick O'Sullivan to Edmonton; Justin Williams to LA (3-way Trade)

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
i have no problem with trading o'sullivan per se. depsite his celtic heritage, i was not his biggest fan, perhaps seeing his flaws more often than his assets. that said, i'm pretty surprised that it also required a 2nd round pick to get a guy who's had a lot of injuries in the last two years. now, if williams is healthy, then great, but i don't have a lot of confidence in that.

Dave33

Jul 8, 2005
Just listened to DL's reasoning, he feels Moller is ready to step into the vacant spot for now and that Williams will be back in a couple of weeks. Seems to really like Williams alot. Personally, I'm shocked he made this deal with his constant stressing of asset management. With Williams' injuries this year and last, I cannot understand how DL had to add a 2nd on top of Sully.

Hopefully the trade works out, but I'm not too happy with it for now.

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
This is a wait and see for me. I wasn't quite sure about the Visnovsky deal when it went down, but now I'm pretty pleased with how that trade turned out. Yes, Williams is an injury worry but for all we know, he may never miss another game after coming back from his latest trip to IR (doubtful, yes). We've all been pining for a goal-scorer and quite frankly, I think Dean delivered. William was probably the only such player available for the package offered. The 2nd does hurt though, no question. But according to Hammond, it was the leaking of the trade that caused that to happen. How? Why? No idea. I still trust in Dean.

PS Getting on HF today was ****ING HELL

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
2 more years at 3.5 per.

Anyway, I'm not pissed that O'Sullivan is out, I'm pissed at what we traded him for. Trading an asset like that for an oft-injured guy is a pretty huge no-no. We still need another top six forward. When Williams is healthy, this solves a grit problem. All in all, I probably won't ever like this trade, unless in fact Williams can get back to a 70 point level.

Kingswin

Oct 20, 2006
I know i might get crucified for this but I thought that last game Moller played a better game than O'sullivan has ever played in the NHL. There are two camps here the pro o'sullivan camp and the o'sullivan haters. I hope this doesn't get ugly. But I don't understand how DL keeps on aquiring injured players and the whole reason the kings are struggling is due to the trade to get Sully. It just isn't adding up.

bcking

Aug 26, 2005
Canada
The second round pick is from Calgary, with that said it shouldn't have been needed to make the deal happen. There are too many questions about Williams health right now to judge this deal, how he does next year will be when I judge if this trade was a good one or bad one

Last edited:

VictoryRose

Jun 30, 2008
Justin Williams (when healthy) is everything that POS proved he isn't and can't be over his short duration here. A winner. A net crasher. A 30 goal scorer. A guts player. A leader. A lockerroom hero.

Enjoy the physical play in Western Canada, Patty.

I cant wait to revisit this one in a year like we can with the Lubo trade.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
Too many Right shots in the Top 6 now. Frolov, Brown, Stoll, Williams, Moller and Purcell.

That Top 6 is still a work in progress. Be prepared.

Last edited:

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
This trade is a huge gamble from LA's point of view. I wonder why they felt the need to do it.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I don't like the return. I like Williams as a player but not at the cost of Sully + a second rounder. Then they turned around and dealt him and the pick to the Leafs for Cole... That should say something about the value of O'Sullivan.

I just hope to all that is mighty that DL has plans for Frolov now. We cannot afford to lose another franchise winger. I have to seriously question the behind the scenes situation with O'Sullivan. Either DL saw him becoming a second coming of Cammy or he had a tiff with Murray behind the scenes... Obviously Williams has Flyer ties and we all know what that has done us so far...

Sigh... I hope DL clears this up because it is not pretty.

VictoryRose

Jun 30, 2008
Two many Right shots in the Top 6 now. Frolov, Brown, Stoll, Williams, Moller and Purcell.

That Top 6 is still a work in progress. Be prepared.

Justin was drafted as a center. Could also be there if need be.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Everything points to Williams' injuries as fluky, although that's the major concern, obviously.

Pretending that the injuries don't exist, we just traded O'Sullivan and a late 2nd for a 30-goal, 70-point stanley cup champion. I know I'm in the minority, but I like this deal. Definitely would have been better minus the 2nd.

But funny how HFBoards turns around--One second, Sully is a bad-angle-shot-master with no hockey sense, the next, he's untradeable. sheesh...

If Williams is healthy all next year, this will look like a steal. Williams is one of the most underrated players in the NHL (mostly due to missing time).

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The upside of O'Sullivan is too big...I hate this deal.

How many guys have we picked up injured that bit us in the butt? Cloutier? McCauley? Handzus? Come on!

hans

Apr 13, 2007
westwood
I love this trade. I realize not everyone will. But the hysterics over it, at least as evidenced by the comments in Hammond's blog, are seriously insane. Has nobody ever seen Williams play before? He's a very, very good player. Despite his ACL tears, his skating is still fine - he'll likely be the fastest player on the team. His shot is deadly. He's defensively solid. He's got tons of heart. And it's hilarious seeing all the people whine over his injuries - the same people who earlier in the day were yelling DO IT DEANO over Marian ****ing Gaborik. They were all ready to make every excuse in the world for him. Williams is going to make a lot of people sorry they hated this trade, and sooner rather than later.

Also, I think it's time to seriously consider the possibility that LAX Attack is actually Dean Lombardi secretly testing out his ideas on the fans. Thank you for not trading Kopitar a few months ago, Dean/LAX!

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
Two points:

We know from Hammond that DL spoke to Frolov about elevating his game. There is no doubt he had the same conversation with Patrick. Frolov responded, Sully didn't. It's that simple. Frolov showed a whole lot of desire over the past month whereas O'Sullivan seemed to mark time. This may be step one in singing Frolov to a long term extension this summer.

Secondly, I don't like the deal. O'Sullivan has not reached his potential, and I think we gave up on him too early. Williams has won a Cup (and was the second best player on that team) but is damaged goods. We should not have had to give up a second. Having said that, DL has earned the benefit of the doubt from me, and I will keep an open mind. The guy hs proven heknows what he is doing.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
Justin Williams (when healthy) is everything that POS proved he isn't and can't be over his short duration here. A winner. A net crasher. A 30 goal scorer. A guts player. A leader. A lockerroom hero.

Enjoy the physical play in Western Canada, Patty.

I cant wait to revisit this one in a year like we can with the Lubo trade.

I see Dustin as Justin Williams lite. I can't help but think that Justin will have a VERY big effect on Dustin's game.

Personally, I'm optimistic about this deal and I'm a huge O'Sullivan fan.

Every Kings fan needs to keep their eyes fixated on the goal. Winning a Stanley Cup. Adding Justin Williams, absolutely puts us a step closer to that goal, make no mistake.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
I love when people say "When he is healthy"......Williams has only played in 70 or more games only 3 times in 9 seasons....that means if he is consistent he will play in 70 games or more 1 time before his contract expires.

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
From Rich Hammond's blog

Question: Was this trade more about getting Williams or getting rid of O'Sullivan?

LOMBARDI: ``It was about getting the guy. He's a proven 30-goal scorer and only 27 years old. He is arguably just entering his prime. He's really competitive. We know him intimately from Philadelphia. We didn't want to trade him when we were there, but he was part of the Markov deal. He's a really smart player. Those are the two things that jump out at you, right from his draft year through on. He's really smart and really competitive. Then, like I said, the numbers speak for themselves.

``The difference, too, when you look at this guy and his numbers, when he's healthy, is that he did it on a Stanley Cup winner. He brings a ring and he's only 27 years old. The other thing is, he makes us bigger on the wings. He's not a 6-4 guy, but that's a major issue for our team. We go and face a team like San Jose, and we're very small on the wings. We've got to continue to address that. He helps that. We're not done there, but it is an issue and he helps address that.

``He is signed for the same length as Sully, and we took on a little more salary than with Sully, but that's just a reflection of the player. His injuries, obviously, were a big thing going into it, before it blew up last night, before it was interrupted by a certain writer. We had his knees checked out. He's had a couple freak injuries here in the last couple years, but we had that all checked out and made sure we were getting a 27-year-old athlete here. That took a long time, to get all the reports and everything here, but we're satisfied. That broken finger, what are you going to do?''

The point Dean's trying to make I guess is that covers a span of criteria we were looking for. 1) He has Stanley Cup experience 2) He's a gifted goal-scorer 3) Still in his prime 4) Adds size to the wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad