News Article: Patrick O'Sullivan to Edmonton; Justin Williams to LA (3-way Trade)

Status
Not open for further replies.

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
I'm still ticked off at CAR for giving us Teverdorksky (or however that name was spelled)... That alone made this a bad deal...even if we DID get JMFJ out of it...

The part that REALLY makes ME scratch my head on this one was the 2nd round pick and not POS for Williams... Sure...Williams wasn't even on MY radar when it came to players to be traded for POS and STILL ISN'T (there are 30-40 players that I would have chosen to go after before he came into consideration)...it's up to DL to prove us wrong on this one...and it's going to take a HELL of a lot of proving to do justice for this one...
Count me wrong as of 2012...as the MAJOR proof came then... Any guesses as to how???:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Also pass the BBQ sauce for that crow...

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I don't think we can shun anyone that has had their name screamed over a microphone followed by "has won the Stanley Cup!" in a game 7 ... "Justin Williams has won the Stanley Cup for the Los Angeles Kings!" ... has a nice ring to it =D Either way, let's not argue the subject anymore and reserve our judgment for the off-season after we have seen him play in LA.

:handclap:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

Heh. It still has a nice ring to it :P My initial reaction was still way off though, but I am always willing to give Dean the benefit of the doubt to see how the move works out before passing judgement. Williams has definitely proven a lot of doubters wrong. This team is built on character and natural winners and leaders. What Lombardi has done isn't any more evident than it is now.

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
Holy **** (bump)! some posters names there that don't post much anymore...

A LOT has happened in the last 5 years...

Haha, I'm actually a Sharks fan that lived in LA for over 15 years before moving back this year. Dean Lombardi is my favorite GM all time.

If you look up some very old post you'd see me as the only person defending him while he was GMing the Sharks.

Back in 2006 I gave a gave a thorough analysis of why he was great hire for you guys. I'll bump that after the Kings win the Cup.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
And to think The Mayor and Bernstein were convince trading Williams at this years deadline would be the right thing to do, and were disappointed that it didn't happen. #morons

KingKopitar11*

I miss Ron Swanson, he was a funny version of Julian Caesar Milan.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
When i first heard this trade i hated it...now that I've let a few hours go by I've decided I still don't like it...:( The reason being...why they are we the ones giving up a 2nd round pick when JW basically hasn't played for 2 seasons. For those that say oooo it's just a second, need i remind you Simmonds, Moller and VV (can't spell his name:help:) were all second round picks...

Also there is a big part of me that hopes we don't see JW play at all this season. He is coming off all these major injuries, the Kings should let him rest for the duration of the season and have him come back 100% (if he can ever be "100%" again), its not like we have anything to play for. And secondly i think we can use the remaining games to see what Purcell and Moller(maybe Boyle) really have, when they have to be relied upon for offensive. O and I kinda want us to tank so we can grab Evander Kane:naughty:.

I stand by my post:sarcasm:

Even if it has very little to do with JDub...:laugh:

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
Post #119, March 2009, I stated I was going to reserve judgement until Williams showed us what he had. Well, I have finally decided and probably to most of your surprise, I am on board with this trade. :D

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Ha ha. I actually liked the trade back then, I couldnt remember how I reacted. Good bump

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
People on these boards have wanted Williams traded for three years now.

It's annoying to read it every single year on this board. Also annoying to read the Mayor say Williams will be traded every trade deadline for the past two years.

People on these boards have wanted Williams traded for three years now.

It's annoying to read it every single year on this board. Also annoying to read the Mayor say Williams will be traded every trade deadline for the past two years.

It's annoying with just about every player... cough, richards, coug. I was ready to start talking **** in the GDT yesterday. Bunch of whiney babies were out. And not just the usual suspects either. People get so emotional with this stuff sometimes.

jt

Feb 17, 2005
Orange County
Damn! Reading this thread 5+ yrs later is SOO entertaining.

First off, I'm going to say this is a great trade for the Kings! Someone explain to me how having a 27 year old guy, with a cup ring, leadership traits, hard work ethic & willingness to do whatever it takes to win is a bad thing?

I can understand everyone's concern's about the injurys. However it's not like Lombardi picks up the phone & makes all these deals on his own. Do you not think that many of the LA top brass gave their views of Williams?

This kid is a stud, a guy that is going to be a top 6 player, will re-gain his form & will be a player that will make you say Patrick O'Who? I'm sorry but when was the last time O'Sullivan had a game that made you say WOW, that kid is coming along? Who is Patrick O'Sullivan to make himself bigger than the team? To hold out while the rest of his team takes part in trainning camp?

You guys all want a winning team in Los Angeles; just as much as I want a winning team in Los Angeles. Let Lombardi complete what he's working on, he's not going to be perfect in every deal but he's sure making things look great. The future has to become the present at one point or another, I think Lombardi knows the Kings are going to get a top 10 pick this year, they have Frolov to sign, and they are making progress in many areas.

This is the time when a guy like Williams is IDLE! I bet you that he is so excited to be coming to this team, even though we are not making the playoffs. There is no team in the NHL that is in better shape for tomorrow than the Kings...and when tomorrow comes & the Kings take shape with Lombardi's vision, I hope all of you come back & read the comments your leaving....

Hockey Moose = awesome, always was and always will be

EGO maniac. Said it last time and it bears repeating. If you don't submit to Lombardi's will, you're gone. God I wish we'd fire him already.

The best Lombardi is one that is in charge of minor league scouting and draft picks. Not NHL GM Dean Lombardi.

Oh lordy...

THAT IS COMPLETE BULL ****! Ignore the 2nd? He didn't have to complete an already, sketchy at best deal. Are you kidding me?

So who did that 2nd rounder turn into?

Mark my word.

Sully will outscore Williams upon his return until either of their retirement.

I don't underestimate Williams at all but I think too many of you are overlooking Sully's skills.

Sully WILL be a PPG guy.

Hmmmm...your words were marked.

It's a horrible move from and asset standpoint alone. You KEEP O'Sullivan and the ****ing second and keep letting him develop. We lose NOTHING by taking a chance on O'Sullivan. We lose at least a 2nd taking a chance on Williams.

I like Williams, don't get me wrong, but he could have been had for less at another time. Same goes for Cole. O'Sullivan would have been an extremely valuable asset on draft day.

Just like with Cammalleri, he got a terrible return on the investment.

Still a horrible move? Still a terrible return on the investment?

I don't know how in the hell someone in the organization could have a look at Williams health and say, yeah, that's our guy. If someone can give me an explanation for that one, I'd love to hear it. All I've read so far is that if he's healthy, he's the best player in the deal. Yeah, that's true, but his injury history is undeniable fact. I don't see how that changes going to a much tougher conference, on a dump and chase team that's trying to play a grittier game.

I think whoever did say "yeah, that's our guy" was pretty smart.

Yeah, you're right. How could we have waited 2 full seasons for an aging 24 yr old to continue to improve.

What were we thinking???

Let's hope JJ has a good year next year because he'll be a year shy of his 24th birthday and we just can't afford to wait too long.

Sure am glad this team didn't wait...for POS or JJ.

Not a single one of those for either player compares to a torn ACL. Your legs are your legs, you need them to skate, if you were once a great skater and have no knees, where do you go.

Moreover, I stated repeatedly that getting Gaborik would be a horrendous move. A contract that pays Gaborik more than 3 million a year is a contract that sucks. Giving up assets to get him is even worse.

Still think getting Williams was bad? Any thoughts on Gaborik?

jt

Feb 17, 2005
Orange County
It's fun to go back and re-read stuff...

O'Sullivan has been slumping, but so have a lot of the players on the team. They are pretty much all having a difficult time adjusting to TM's offensive style (or lack thereof) with the exception of Fro. O'Sullivan's defense is still there, he's just struggling offensively.

If slumps, as you described above, scream "I'm not a great young player" than we would have traded everyone on our team by now, including our prize Kopitar.

I think a lot of people are underestimating the effect a new coach has on players. His slump would be more alarming if everyone else was tearing it up, or his slump was coming in the same system with Crow still coaching, but it's not. For a guy earning more than $4 million, than Williams isn't earning it either, nor is Stoll, nor is Kopitar earning his $7 million plus.

Sports physicians are about as trustworthy as defense lawyers. Even then, how many players, with as extensive of an injury list as Williams have come back to suddenly become healthy players that return to their prime form?

Lomardi says a lot of things, most of which have proven to be false. He also said O'Sullivan was one of our core players and then traded him. Williams, in his early career in Philly, struggled with coaching changes and philosophy changes. Sound familiar? Sounds like Patty O to me.

You act as if Williams has only had one injury or something. He has a SIGNIFICANT injury history. And history isn't on his side, whether it means returning to his old form, or staying healthy.

Again, lets trade everyone that has regressed this year. Bye Bye Kopitar, Brown, O'Sullivan, etc. Did we all expect more from Pat this year? I did, but I understand his struggles. In every game day thread, everyone here is *****ing about how this team can't score, we suck, have no offense, blah blah blah, but now it's all Sully's fault and we should vilify him?

Justin Williams has 3 goals this year in 32 games. What about 3 goals from a 27 year old screams talent? (See how stupid that sounds?)

We're all excited about Williams. Most people are upset about what we gave up for and injury prone player, one that like O'Sullivan, has stagnated/regressed lately.

I agree that O'Sullivan hurt himself this season by missing camp. He's not currently earning his contract.

They are all regressing offensively under Murray.

Where did I say every new coach has a negative effect?

You make it sound as if O'Sullivan is the only one on the team struggling offensively. They all are.

Stoll with one more point is A LOT closer? uh, okay.

Kopitar is currently earning his contract, but unless we see about a 30 point increase next year he won't be.

Well, I hope we got Sakic. ;)

I hope Williams comes back fine, but the odds/history aren't on his side. Time will tell.

All players progress differently. Williams has regressed since he was 24 as well, injuries or not.

Williams could come back and be healthy the rest of his career but as I said earlier, the odds/history aren't on his side, whether they were fluke injuries or not.

Players progress at different stages. They're all adjusting and it shows, which is why all the "O'Sullivan is garbage, he's done improving, etc" stuff is BS.

Earlier you told me not to worry about his injury history but now it's an excuse? Shouldn't that worry us?

I don't blame him for any of his injuries, but it doesn't change the fact that they've obviously affected him.

Hopefully you're right. If it's 05-06 Williams we get, I'm fine with the trade, other than the pick.

jimmy1100

Feb 17, 2007
Colorado Springs
I was just thinking about this last night after the OT. Man, I was so-so on the trade. I REALLY loved Patty O'Sullivan.

Hindsight says (shocker) DL is a much better GM than I would be. O'Sullivan is not even in the league anymore and Williams at his worst will disappear for times during the season but ALWAYS makes his clutch performances in the playoffs.

One of the best trades DL has ever made, IMO.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
More highway robbery from Dean.

I was pretty skeptical at first considering we acquired him when he was injured AND we gave up the pick.

I certainly didn't know where I stood on that one. One of the best trades this franchise has ever made.

There was a thread on here awhile back that was ranking all of the greatest Kings trades in history. I argued that this one is definitely one of (if not the best) trades that Kings have ever made in terms of what we gave up and what we got back. To say Williams has been a key part of this team is an understatement.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think JW has earned the right and distinction of permanent exemption of posting: ill words, negative comments, or lambastings for as long as he wears a King Jersey. This even includes putting a puck in his own net. For he is one of the main reasons the Kings have won Conference Championships and Lord Stanley's Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad