News Article: Patrick O'Sullivan to Edmonton; Justin Williams to LA (3-way Trade)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mittens*

Everything points to Williams' injuries as fluky, although that's the major concern, obviously.

Pretending that the injuries don't exist, we just traded O'Sullivan and a late 2nd for a 30-goal, 70-point stanley cup champion. I know I'm in the minority, but I like this deal. Definitely would have been better minus the 2nd.

But funny how HFBoards turns around--One second, Sully is a bad-angle-shot-master with no hockey sense, the next, he's untradeable. sheesh...

If Williams is healthy all next year, this will look like a steal. Williams is one of the most underrated players in the NHL (mostly due to missing time).

Props to my man Brad Doty.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Pretty interesting how things work out.

The 07-08 season, Willsie scores that game winning goal that puts the Kings 2nd in the draft instead of 1st. Stupid Willsie! Does Lombardi take Doughty even with the 1st pick? My guess would be yes, since he loves defensemen, and the Kings had nothing like Doughty in the organization, but either way. The Kings take Doughty at #2, knowing he's going to play in the NHL the following season, which opens up a guy like Visnovsky to be traded. The Kings turn him into Greene and Stoll a few days later, and for all their faults, they've been part of this whole thing. During the 08-09 season, the Kings make one big trade, which was to bring in Williams at the deadline. The following summer, the Kings sign Scuderi, trade for Smyth, and they start to make the playoffs that next season.

Other than the young draft picks, Williams has been a building block for this team. Stoll and Greene were acquired for a player that was older than they were. Williams was the first instance where Lombardi traded a younger guy for an older guy. The 08-09 season was long gone, but it was a move that was made with the thought that next year, the expectation is that the Kings will be a better team.

Of the moves Lombardi has made, the Williams trade has to be in the top 5. Drafting Doughty, however obvious a move it was, may have been the turning point to the whole thing, but with the way it's worked out, Williams falls somewhere between 2 and 5.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Live In The Now with the fail-iest first post that ever failed...

:laugh:

Hey, I can admit when I'm wrong. And I didn't change it. ;)

Still think getting Williams was bad? Any thoughts on Gaborik?

Read above. And as for Gaborik, I think DL needs to be cautious in the term of contract he gives out.

This might be the best post in this thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=18345412&postcount=30

Now we've got both of them, and are three wins away from or second cup...

I wasn't wrong about DL moving on another top six player. He traded for Smyth. :sarcasm:

And not to brag here, but I was the one of the only guys after Game 6 of the Chicago series who had any remote bit of faith in the team closing out the series back in Chicago, while everyone was word barfing all over the thread, and complaining about the team not caring and not putting an effort in. Talking about starting Martin Jones and ****. I thought they did put an effort in then, and they sure as hell did in Game 7.

So deal with it. ;)

reset

Puck Luck
Oct 5, 2005
South Bay
man my question is, what the hell happened to sully?

based on wikipedia, he even got canned in finland.

It must be a mental, personality issue... bc that dude had talent

Captain Mittens*

man my question is, what the hell happened to sully?

based on wikipedia, he even got canned in finland.

It must be a mental, personality issue... bc that dude had talent
His problems are between the ears

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
This was a good one, I remember someone who was very pissed about this, predicted that O'Sullivan would have led the Kings in scoring the following year.

JBernierFan

Drink up!
Jul 10, 2006
San Diego
I haven't read all 15 pages yet, but if no one has said it, people should check out the highlights of Williams' play on NHL.com. He fights, is in the corners and gets the garbage goals our guys don't get. He's everything that we've said we've needed this whole year.

I haven't been posting much here this year, but do lurk every day. I totally forgot my views of this trade at the time. It's fun to see it so many years (and so much success) later. Thanks for the bump! :yo:

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
Damn! Reading this thread 5+ yrs later is SOO entertaining.

Hockey Moose = awesome, always was and always will be

Oh lordy...

So who did that 2nd rounder turn into?

Hmmmm...your words were marked.

Still a horrible move? Still a terrible return on the investment?

I think whoever did say "yeah, that's our guy" was pretty smart.

Sure am glad this team didn't wait...for POS or JJ.

Still think getting Williams was bad? Any thoughts on Gaborik?

:laugh:

Hey, I can admit when I'm wrong. And I didn't change it. ;)

Read above. And as for Gaborik, I think DL needs to be cautious in the term of contract he gives out.

I wasn't wrong about DL moving on another top six player. He traded for Smyth. :sarcasm:

And not to brag here, but I was the one of the only guys after Game 6 of the Chicago series who had any remote bit of faith in the team closing out the series back in Chicago, while everyone was word barfing all over the thread, and complaining about the team not caring and not putting an effort in. Talking about starting Martin Jones and ****. I thought they did put an effort in then, and they sure as hell did in Game 7.

So deal with it. ;)

Live In Now - Lol, the hits keep coming for you. Thanks for being a good sport. Any chance we can make fun of a mod is good. :sarcasm:

JT - Epic thread. Great fines. Based on their valuations thank goodness some of these fans are only ranting and not playing the stock market.

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
I haven't been posting much here this year, but do lurk every day. I totally forgot my views of this trade at the time. It's fun to see it so many years (and so much success) later. Thanks for the bump! :yo:

Great analysis. Knew Williams was always good, but first realized he was "really good" in the '11 playoffs. The way he carried the Kings--sans Kopitar--was eye opening. He's a player you really need to watch--timely goals aside--to understand his contributions.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Pretty interesting how things work out.

The 07-08 season, Willsie scores that game winning goal that puts the Kings 2nd in the draft instead of 1st. Stupid Willsie! Does Lombardi take Doughty even with the 1st pick? My guess would be yes, since he loves defensemen, and the Kings had nothing like Doughty in the organization, but either way. The Kings take Doughty at #2, knowing he's going to play in the NHL the following season, which opens up a guy like Visnovsky to be traded. The Kings turn him into Greene and Stoll a few days later, and for all their faults, they've been part of this whole thing. During the 08-09 season, the Kings make one big trade, which was to bring in Williams at the deadline. The following summer, the Kings sign Scuderi, trade for Smyth, and they start to make the playoffs that next season.

Other than the young draft picks, Williams has been a building block for this team. Stoll and Greene were acquired for a player that was older than they were. Williams was the first instance where Lombardi traded a younger guy for an older guy. The 08-09 season was long gone, but it was a move that was made with the thought that next year, the expectation is that the Kings will be a better team.

Of the moves Lombardi has made, the Williams trade has to be in the top 5. Drafting Doughty, however obvious a move it was, may have been the turning point to the whole thing, but with the way it's worked out, Williams falls somewhere between 2 and 5.

I think it starts with Kopi. Getting him at 11 was huge.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Crazy seeing this years later. I was 100% against this trade at the time. Who knew what heroics Williams had in him? Who could possibly guess that O'Sullivan would so utterly self-destruct that he would be out of hockey at age 28? I'm glad there are smarter guys than me running this team.

Captain Mittens*

Crazy seeing this years later. I was 100% against this trade at the time. Who knew what heroics Williams had in him? Who could possibly guess that O'Sullivan would so utterly self-destruct that he would be out of hockey at age 28? I'm glad there are smarter guys than me running this team.

Me too

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

Ok, now all of you, print this ^^^^ sentence and tape it to the top of your monitor.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I said something dumb in this thread, not not nearly as dumb as some other posts. One guy said O'Sullivan would be a point-per-game player

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
I think a lot of fans who suffered through the epic injury-induced collapses under Dave Taylor and Andy Murray were extremely wary of any player with an injury-prone label. Williams's label as such was perhaps a bit unfair, but it sure scared me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad