Speculation: Patrick Marleau discussion Part II

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If there isn't a deal to be made with San Jose, I guess your only course of action would be to keep him off the ice. Stash him in the press box as a healthy scratch. Or fail his medical.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If there isn't a deal to be made with San Jose, I guess your only course of action would be to keep him off the ice. Stash him in the press box as a healthy scratch. Or fail his medical.
It’s a 35+ contract. I think that means that Marleau could not report to the Leafs and have them terminate his contract which would make him a free agent but they still get hit with the full cap hit.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s a 35+ contract. I think that means that Marleau could not report to the Leafs and have them terminate his contract which would make him a free agent but they still get hit with the full cap hit.

Can they fail his medical and Robidas Island him without his permission?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marleau has an active 788 game iron man streak going, nearly a decade. What’s the realistic possibility a team could medically fail him against his will this summer?

When the Leafs sent Lupul packing there was a notion floated around that of a doctor looked at any pro athlete they could reasonably make the recommendation that a mid to late 30s something guy with all that mileage is probably not in the condition to play hockey.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Anyone want to give me a quick summary of how well Marleau played this season and in particular the playoffs? Was he ok? Bad? Inconsistent? Disinterested? What's the general vibe.

Taking his contract out of the equation.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Anyone want to give me a quick summary of how well Marleau played this season and in particular the playoffs? Was he ok? Bad? Inconsistent? Disinterested? What's the general vibe.

Good enough for Babs to have him out lots late in games 6 and 7.

But in all seriousness. I love Marleau. Pretty much everyone does. He was not good this year. Not good at all. It is pretty difficult for any 39 year old to be worth a contract of 6.25M. It will be even more difficult for a 40 year old. Thanks Lou.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

I wouldn't say he was disinterested, just seemed to have trouble keeping up with the pace. His straightline speed is still good, but he seems to lack quickness so could never seem to complete plays. It kind of felt like he lost every 50-50 battle. I kept hoping he was saving an extra gear for playoffs, but truth is he looked about the same.

I'm in the minority, but think he could rebound next season. Careers don't always follow smooth trajectories, and he definitely knows he didn't get the job done, so I'm sure he'll be trying to make adjustments. Still wouldn't be worth his contract of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Church Hill

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

He was not really a threat offensively during the season, he seems to have lost his touch. He just couldn't figure out how to play with Matthews. He was a reliable 3rd line guy, imo

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
There were only four Leafs with less shifts then Marleau in the playoffs. 14:40 isn't being over-played.
His team scored more goals then they allowed when he was on the ice.
He was wise enough to know what he can do. The top two lines on the other hand, I think drove Babcock crazy.
All they needed to do was be patient, play their defensive assignments and not try forcing it.
They're a predictable bunch that Boston countered easily. With players that constantly force
offense at the cost of defense, it doesn't surprise me that Babcock would go to a line with Marleau
on it. The only problem comes when the team does need to try and force it. That's when you need to throw
someone like Petr Klima over the boards.
this so called "good pro" had ample time to produce last year
well now his family is in San Jose,well boo hoo for him
he chose toronto for the extra year on the contract
selling his house was pre determined according to people in the know
this good pro should shut the f$$$$k up and be part of the solution instead of making a problem worse
Marleau woukdnt even be in toronto if it wasn't for Babcock
where is his loyalty

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
So now he's demanding which team he wants to play for? Rather just keep him and put him in the pressbox all year instead of having to trade Kappy or Johnsson for one year of cap relief.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

He was absolutely useless in both the playoffs and the season. If it wasn't for that contract, you'd forget he was even playing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’d wait until McKenzie or Lebrun or Friedge confirms the story.

They’ve all been talking about a Marleau trade, and how he wants to play closer to his family so somewhere on the west coast.

Now all of a sudden Kyper is saying he only wants to play in San Jose lol

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sad story this Marleau character. When he signed there was all this talk about what a gud pro he is, wants to play for a winner so bad he'll even uproot his family and move across the continent to chase his dream of winning the cup.

It's clear now that as some of us suspected, money was his only motivation for signing here. Now that he's gotten the dough and he has all the leverage one could dream of we find out what he really wants. Is it to play for a top contender? Why no, of course not. We were supposedly that contender but it's not us and apparently no other contender is satisfactory either. Nope, the man has his money and now that he's cashed in, he wants to go home.

Character guy, gud pro my ass. And LOL at us Leaf fans who thought that we'd benefit because he was teaching our young guys like Marner everything he knows. Well I guess he did teach him alright, too bad that what he taught him was that pro hockey is all about the money, winning is somewhere way down the list.

Reactions: Matthews34

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Then Babcock plays the hell out of him again
If they had a competent GM who knew how to build a roster they wouldn’t have a coach trying to improvise with what he has.

Kyle Dubas will go down as one of the worst hires in franchise history and some of you are still on about the Hall of Fame coach who doesn’t have a team to compete :laugh: It’s funny and sad all at the same time.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If they had a competent GM who knew how to build a roster they wouldn’t have a coach trying to improvise with what he has.

Kyle Dubas will go down as one of the worst hires in franchise history and some of you are still on about the Hall of Fame coach who doesn’t have a team to compete :laugh: It’s funny and sad all at the same time.

He has Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander and he still elected to play Marleau almost as much as those guys.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Sad story this Marleau character. When he signed there was all this talk about what a gud pro he is, wants to play for a winner so bad he'll even uproot his family and move across the continent to chase his dream of winning the cup.

It's clear now that as some of us suspected, money was his only motivation for signing here. Now that he's gotten the dough and he has all the leverage one could dream of we find out what he really wants. Is it to play for a top contender? Why no, of course not. We were supposedly that contender but it's not us and apparently no other contender is satisfactory either. Nope, the man has his money and now that he's cashed in, he wants to go home.

Character guy, gud pro my ass. And LOL at us Leaf fans who thought that we'd benefit because he was teaching our young guys like Marner everything he knows. Well I guess he did teach him alright, too bad that what he taught him was that pro hockey is all about the money, winning is somewhere way down the list.
Ouch. That bolded part hurts but I think you might be right. Guy is almost two decades in without a ring. Likely taken less a few times and it never paid off...

So, **** it. Get that money, kids.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

That's one way to put it.

And sure, the guy who was able to get a franchise center and a top pairing defenseman without giving up anything off of Babcock's roster is really hampering his ability to coach. Babcock is out of excuses. He needs results. Dubas has covered for him for now, but he's done his job and has given Babcock ample opportunity to succeed.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He has Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander and he still elected to play Marleau almost as much as those guys.
I don’t want any of those 4 killing penalties... and if Nylander and Marner were awake they’d likely have played more. Even Tavares was pretty underwhelming.

Babcock didn’t ask them to disappoint. They did that on their own. He just played the guys who wanted to be there. Most coaches would do the same.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
That's one way to put it.

And sure, the guy who was able to get a franchise center and a top pairing defenseman without giving up anything off of Babcock's roster is really hampering his ability to coach. Babcock is out of excuses. He needs results. Dubas has covered for him for now, but he's done his job and has given Babcock ample opportunity to succeed.
:laugh: I can’t with you guys.

The roster isn’t a good enough despite what the charts and graphs say. Look at the two teams who just played in the finals and tell me how the Leafs can even come close to matching the defense or the grit and physicality?

The Leafs are a poorly built team and anyone blaming the coach doesn’t know what they’re watching.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The roster isn’t a good enough despite what the charts and graphs say. Look at the two teams who just played in the finals and tell me how the Leafs can even come close to matching the defense or the grit and physicality?
Leafs literally played one of them and matched their physicality. They can't match their defense, but they are the better offensive team. The margin was so small that it came to a Game 7.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Not sure I understand this.

If he fails to report.... How is that the Leafs fault, if it isn't mutual.

I get it if both the Leafs and Marleau decide to terminate a 35+ contract. But if someone doesn't show up to work, how does that make sense.

Although I see that LA is seeing a cap hit from a druggy they terminated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad