Speculation: Patrick Marleau discussion Part II

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Pierre Lebrun wrote an article on The Athletic. His notebook thing.

Says he thinks part of Dubas saying Marleau could be back was a media ploy, essentially trying to get teams to drop their price.

I don't disagree with that. Maybe even to get Marleau to expand any list of preferred destinations.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I don't disagree with that. Maybe even to get Marleau to expand any list of preferred destinations.
Or it could be a note to Marners camp.
IF we still have Marleau we have less $ we can spend.
IF he is gone, we have 6.25m more to spend.

My bet is still Marleau is moved July 1st after bonus is paid, and after Marner is signed. The cap space we get from moving Marleau will go to Kappy and AJ.

Reactions: OddyOh and Buds17

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
What are the conversations you’ve had with Patrick?
Dubas
: They’ve been very open since the end of the season, right? I certainly understand their position and situation. He has done a lot of great work for us since the day he arrived here. We are trying to accommodate and help that — mostly out of appreciation for everything he has done for us since his arrival.

Are you saying he’s asked to be moved?
Dubas
: What we are trying to do is just accommodate a situation that has gone very public since the end of the year, right? All that said, I think if Patrick Marleau were back with the team at the beginning of next year, it wouldn’t be a problem for Patrick. I don’t know if that answers your question specifically, but I think there is a strong chance he will be back next season.
Kyle Dubas: "I’d rather, if we are going to pay our players, pay our top guys and then force our staff to get creative around the edges of the team" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Pierre Lebrun wrote an article on The Athletic. His notebook thing.

Says he thinks part of Dubas saying Marleau could be back was a media ploy, essentially trying to get teams to drop their price.

Yeah. That makes a lot of sense. Dubas would prefer to give like a 2nd or 3rd round pick than maybe a guy like Bracco

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What are the conversations you’ve had with Patrick?
Dubas
: They’ve been very open since the end of the season, right? I certainly understand their position and situation. He has done a lot of great work for us since the day he arrived here. We are trying to accommodate and help that — mostly out of appreciation for everything he has done for us since his arrival.

Are you saying he’s asked to be moved?
Dubas
: What we are trying to do is just accommodate a situation that has gone very public since the end of the year, right? All that said, I think if Patrick Marleau were back with the team at the beginning of next year, it wouldn’t be a problem for Patrick. I don’t know if that answers your question specifically, but I think there is a strong chance he will be back next season.
Kyle Dubas: "I’d rather, if we are going to pay our players, pay our top guys and then force our staff to get creative around the edges of the team" | Maple Leafs Hotstove
Dubie answered that 2nd question dubiously. Clearly he did not want to lie. As I understand it Marleau was told post season they could not protect his iron man streak next season. Then he thought about it and requested a trade back west. Our reporters are very weak in Toronto. They do not know how to ask the right question. They left room for Dubie to wiggle. or maybe they don't want to anger Dubie? It was a nice way of saying look you have dropped off a cliff and are not worth it for us at 6+M per. so Dubie gave him an out and here we are. I hope we don't get into this BS next season. We need to solve it this summer. We don't want/need fans booing him. He does not want to be booed here.

horner

May 22, 2007
The only way Marleau goes to sj is if he retires.
Please do so.
We are losing Marner because of you.
Never thought he was that get when he played for sj.

Jun 15, 2007
The only way Marleau goes to sj is if he retires.
Please do so.
We are losing Marner because of you.
Never thought he was that get when he played for sj.

C'mon dude. Marleau retiring does nothing. 35+ deal. He has to be traded.

The problem isn't Marleau. The problem is other teams want Kapanen for helping Toronto out of this bind.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

The problem isn't Marleau. The problem is other teams want Kapanen for helping Toronto out of this bind.
If it has to be then it will be. But I would rather give up AJ to get it done. Kappy will sign back with us on a deal to stay with his best buddy.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

It is his contract. Who make the s. bounses in 2 installments?
May be Marleau + Zaitsev + 2nd to Canucks for pouliot or Sutter + 7

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Well, Toronto could still use their financial muscle on the Marleau deal.

Trade him to LA for Jeff Carter. LA buys out Marleau for the 2.333333 million in cash, but 6.25 million in cap space. That saves them from paying Jeff Carter 15.818181 over the next 3 years.

Toronto can either view Carter as a savings of 1 million over Marleau, or they could buy him out. The buy-out cost this season would be 3.050505, which could be enough to get them through this year's pinch.

I think LA actually gets the better of that deal. Both teams are unloading bad contracts, but LA is saving like 12 million bucks, so maybe they're willing to actually add something.... a swap of back-up goalies?

To Los Angeles:
Patrick Marleau and Garret Sparks

To Toronto:
Jeff Carter and Jack Campbell

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Question:

Can more than 1 team retain salary on the same player? Ie: Toronto retains 50% of Marleau's salary, trades him to another team to retains a percentage who then trades him to San Jose?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad