Patrick Laine (18!) scores his second career hat trick in his 14th career game!

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Did he do something nobody has ever done before in NHL history? I get that Werenski is doing great but how can you realistically compare to someone breaking offensive records and suggesting their start of the season might be equally impressive?

You don't often see 19 year olds leading the league in points per game for dmen, and +2.

its early

Last edited:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
No you do not, he is doing fantastic.

But is it equal or comparable to being the first player ever to score 11 in 14, as an 18 year old?

I'd say Laine has been more impressive so far.

Hard to argue with that.

I'm glad we get another 70 or so games before they have to choose the Calder.

Nov 24, 2006
Was there a never ending comparison like this Matthews and Laine one when Seguin and Hall were drafted?

Who really cares about #1 and #2 picks. Two great players, just enjoy.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Would people know what I mean if I said outside of his (crazy) goal total so far, he isn't really playing that we'll overall yet? He's still a rookie but his all around game is so far from where it can be.

How many more chances will his line generate over a season if he cuts his unforced turnovers in half? Or starts winning more board battles... exciting times here.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Would people know what I mean if I said outside of his (crazy) goal total so far, he isn't really playing that we'll overall yet? He's still a rookie but his all around game is so far from where it can be.

How many more chances will his line generate over a season if he cuts his unforced turnovers in half? Or starts winning more board battles... exciting times here.

I think he made one cross ice pass in the last game on PP that ended up intercepted. And he lost one board battle to Faksa (?) that resulted in a turnover.

But he won most battles in the corners (previous game too) and did not turn it over. I think lately in the past few games, he has adjusted already and is doing exactly what you are describing here. He's also winning 1 on 1 physical battles in front of the net and scoring because of that.

Then when you add skill, strength, mass and more experience to that...I've got no clue anymore what station that train is headed to.

In the interview he just gave, he said that he just started going to the corners more and in front of the net more...like he is working on that aspect of his game now. And he's already doing a great job at that.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Let Laine be a kid. No reason to expect more than a 40-50 point rookie season despite the good start to his career.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland

Well I've seen a massive improvement him after those first couple of games. He was forcing the dekes too much.

That's a weird comment honestly because he has improved a lot from where he was not many games ago. Now he dumps the pucks in situations when he earlier hang on to the puck just to lose it. It's not perfect yet, but it's improved and getting better.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Let Laine be a kid. No reason to expect more than a 40-50 point rookie season despite the good start to his career.

There's literally every reason to believe numbers well above that if he stays injury free. He might hit those numbers in goals alone.

There is no reason to believe anymore at this point, that he would have a 40-50 point season...other than thinking that injury is more than likely to end it before he has 40-50 games played. I don't know why you would expect that to happen, it's possible of course but the likeliness of that is small.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Back on topic, as we are prone to be sometimes, Laine playing Arizona tonight. Should be fun

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Laine had a good line today when asked about not scoring any goals during the pre-season but having 11 so far "I didn't want to waste my goals in pre-season".

Patrik Laine: Did he get a lot of messages last night? How much is he surprising himself? Is it easier than he thought it would be? Has he gone back to watch his goals? Which was his favourite? Is luck on his side right now? Potential between himself and Scheifele and Ehlers. Does he goal set for himself? Has he had to re-adjust his expectations based on his success? Is there no such thing as a “signature Laine†goal? Is he more confident in front of the net? The surprise at his success? How does he feel about his defensive play?

To listen click here.

Re: Laine's interview: Frankly this kind of over-the-top humility is off-putting. "No, I'm not a stats guy, I don't look at the score sheet, that's for people outside of hockey" and "I'd be just as happy having score one or zero goals after 14 games". Come on. Is this from a interview play book teams give to rookies and have them memorize? What's wrong in enjoying succeeding in your profession in a personal level and admitting as much? You can still state that personal stats and success are secondary to team's success. It's as if there's no middle ground between a good generic team player and a (perceived) selfish punk. Everyone knows he's not helping the team win much either if he's at zero goals after 14 games. Hockey interview culture is hella boring (not that I'm new to it, just venting).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad