Patrick Laine (18!) scores his second career hat trick in his 14th career game!

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Laine is having a great start to the season and would likely have gone #1 had the Jets had first pick. We didn't need another center. Toronto picked the best player (Center) where it would benefit them the most. After game 13/14 you can argue that Laine is the better player but you are not comparing apples /apples. Laine is a winger and Matthews is a center. Laine may also be playing with players that are a little more comfortable with the NHL game right now (Sheifs is on fire and Ehlers is playing real well).

Regardless of how it shakes out here on in, they are both incredibly talented, and no doubt will be big keys to both teams success in the short and long term.

Really happy that Matthews, Laine, Puljujärvi and Tkachuk are all playing for Canadian teams. Will be real exciting in the years to come.

Great post. In fairness, I feel like 95% of Leafs and Jets fans would agree with you wholeheartedly, but there remains that 5% vocal minority that insists on turning it into a **** measuring contest at every turn.

randomhockeyfan

Sep 23, 2016
Laine had a good line today when asked about not scoring any goals during the pre-season but having 11 so far "I didn't want to waste my goals in pre-season".

Patrik Laine: Did he get a lot of messages last night? How much is he surprising himself? Is it easier than he thought it would be? Has he gone back to watch his goals? Which was his favourite? Is luck on his side right now? Potential between himself and Scheifele and Ehlers. Does he goal set for himself? Has he had to re-adjust his expectations based on his success? Is there no such thing as a “signature Laine†goal? Is he more confident in front of the net? The surprise at his success? How does he feel about his defensive play?

To listen click here.

He's one cool mother****er, I can't handle it. :laugh::laugh:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ah, so he's probably not going to hit the 60+ goals he's on pace for this season. Thanks for the reality check! :sarcasm:

And an unsustainable goal scoring pace for less than 1/4 of a season doesn't make him the best prospect t in the NHL, or even the best player from his draft class...

Edit:typo

Last edited:

westvandal

Sep 18, 2008
Well.. Im pretty certain that there were several posters; saying that Matthews & Nylander >> Laine & Ehlers.. Or even >>> So when, Nylander is all the sudden just a "rookie" i had to comment on that..

You're right, that we should just enjoy these unbelievable talents were seeing right now.

How about Virtanen and Joulevi?

Just kidding.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
And an unsustainable goal scoring pace for less than 1/4 of a season doesn't make him the best prepped t in the NHL, or even the best player from his draft class...

More insecure? Even if he end up the best..... what does it change for Mattews? Does he (Matthews) become worse because he's not as good as Laine?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The best part is he has anger issues. The way he went up to Roussell was frightening to watch lol. He has the face of an axe murderer.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
So laine is playing with arguably one of the best centers in the league and matthews is playing with 2 other rookies, one being a black hole on offense that should be on the fourth line. Winnipegs defense is better than Toronto's by a mile, especially this year considering rielly looks like he regressed defensively. If laine screws up he doesn't have to worry about getting scored on. If any forward messes up on Toronto it's almost guaranteed the defense will **** the bed. Massive difference on both sides.

true. there is a huge difference between linemates. same time Laine is most important player on his team unlike Matthews so he is better player in a better team

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Wow that WPG fan in a different thread was right--he does look like Nosferatu. It's all i can see now.

I'd build a team around Nosferatu for sure.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
What a friggin freak of nature. Laine baby hahah. A funny kid who can play some hockey also.

Who does still remember his laidback commenting being the best player of the draft back in the draft lottery interview. There is something genuine and original in this dude which makes me crack. Oh bhoy what a frigging freak of nature indeed.

Congrats to Winnipeg. And what's the best part of it Laine is a perfect choice for them since if anybody he can feel home in there, in the cold gloomy praire of Manitoba. :D He comes from a historically industrial town himself with the right blue collar mindset for the harsh task of surviving the geo and demographic "demands" of the "winter of Winnipeg".

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Congrats to Winnipeg.

Thanks. :)

And what's the best part of it Laine is a perfect choice for them since if anybody he can feel home in there, in the cold gloomy praire of Manitoba. :D He comes from a historically industrial town himself with the right blue collar mindset for the harsh task of surviving the geo and demographic "demands" of the "winter of Winnipeg".

Just a minor thing. It's definitely cold as **** here in the winter. And yeah, it's a blue collar city. But Winnipeg is not gloomy - it's one of the sunniest cities in Canada, with average 316 sunny days per year. That sunshine helps take some of the sting out of the frostbite. ;)

But yeah, your overall point stands. If anybody can deal with a Winnipeg winter, it's a Finn. :laugh:

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I'm loving all these Leafs fans pulling the sample size card. Where was this one game in? Jets fan have the same right to talk it up as well.

Laine is fantastic, but I think it's really unlikely he scores more than 40 goals this season, which I think is still incredible and still pushing the ballot a little.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
This thread is as cringe worthy as they come. Some insecure sour Leafs fans mixed up with few Jets fans riding the "in your face"-wave certainly does not make a very informative thread.

The early success of Laine is great to see as a Finn and as hockey fan in general. Nobody should feel bad for top end talent bursting into the league with this kind of magnificent start.

Laine has had his low points early in his career and people were worried about his mental state because he seemed to lack any kind of self discipline. Flipping off coach because he wouldn't let him get on the ice for last minutes, being all around arrogant crap bag etc. before introduced to sports psychiatrist (whos name I unfortunately don't have).

It wasn't long after that he got his act together and became professional athlete and not just some über skilled kid. Have to give credit to the forces behind him, shrink, family, coaches and so on, who have helped him get his head in the game and still kept his boyish charm and confidence that lots of goal scorers need.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
And an unsustainable goal scoring pace for less than 1/4 of a season doesn't make him the best prospect t in the NHL, or even the best player from his draft class...

Edit:typo

Nah, the fact that he's better than Matthews makes him the best player from the 2016 draft, and the best prospect in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad