Patrick Laine (18!) scores his second career hat trick in his 14th career game!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
being compared to gretsky in terms of goal scoring

man leafs missed big

Then lucky they got Matthews (compared to Kopitar) who has a couple of Cups.

It would have sucked to get neither by say falling down in the draft lottery.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
As a person who loved Hall but then had to watch Seguin surpass him, it stings watching a #2 outplay and pass your #1 pick.

Can only imagine how fun it is for jets fans to watch Laine

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
As a person who loved Hall but then had to watch Seguin surpass him, it stings watching a #2 outplay and pass your #1 pick.

Can only imagine how fun it is for jets fans to watch Laine

It's fun for everyone. The league had become a low scoring, neutral zone trap, 1-0 bore.
Why do you think everyone loved team NA?

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
So it's decided then. Laine is officially way better than Matthews and there's nothing that can be done to change that.

Jheez, some people on these boards. :shakehead

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Laine's 11 goals in 14 games have gotten the Jets just as many points in the standings as the Leafs with 13. Good for him!!:handclap:

I'm not sure that the success of their respective teams this season is going to be a strong argument in favor of the Leafs prospects as the season progresses... just sayin'.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So it's decided then. Laine is officially way better than Matthews and there's nothing that can be done to change that.

Jheez, some people on these boards. :shakehead

If it can be decided after 1 game that Matthews is superior and Laine shouldn't be even mentioned with Matthews how couldn't they claim that now?

But yeah atleast give them a full year, and honestly see where they are in their primes.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I think this is the better draft pick. Congrats WPG.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
People need to chill :laugh:

Laine plays 1.5 minutes more in a game than Matthews on average. Laine has had 47:44 minutes of powerplay time in 14 games whereas Matthews has had 29:49 minutes of pp time in 13 games. Laine also plays with better linemates. Scheifele was the hottest player in NHL for latter part of last season. These are huge differences and Laine has only 4 points more and has played 1 game more than Matthews.

Matthews also has much better advanced stats than Laine. Also Laine has that unusually high shooting percentage at the moment and Matthews has been snakebitten lately.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Laine plays 1.5 minutes more in a game than Matthews on average. Laine has had 47:44 minutes of powerplay time in 14 games whereas Matthews has had 29:49 minutes of pp time in 13 games. Laine also plays with better linemates. Scheifele was the hottest player in NHL for latter part of last season. These are huge differences and Laine has only 4 points more and has played 1 game more than Matthews.

Matthews also has much better advanced stats than Laine. Also Laine has that unusually high shooting percentage at the moment and Matthews has been snakebitten lately.

Thank you, even if this all wasn't the case it's still only 14 games in, but this just adds to the stupidity of the people who are drawing conclusions and saying see I told you Laine was better like it's definitive now. Both will be great, I always have and still do think Matthews will be the better overall player, but let's all just sit back and enjoy them both.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I will say this though. I truly believe Winnipeg will be contending for a Cup in the next 2-5 seasons, this team fully healthy would be scary as hell right now, I don't even want to think about 2-3 years down the road.

Cambodian Fouler

Getzlaf-ed-at
Apr 19, 2015
Its been so long since we had young scoring forward with this kind of potential. Hard to even care about the Matthews vs Laine when i'm so excited. :)

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

Get out of here with your unbiased contextual comparison of these guys!

I hope Laine keeps it up, it's fun watching him play. One of a kind player

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

Matthews is full season older and Laine is playing in his 1st season in NA.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Laine had a good line today when asked about not scoring any goals during the pre-season but having 11 so far "I didn't want to waste my goals in pre-season".

Patrik Laine: Did he get a lot of messages last night? How much is he surprising himself? Is it easier than he thought it would be? Has he gone back to watch his goals? Which was his favourite? Is luck on his side right now? Potential between himself and Scheifele and Ehlers. Does he goal set for himself? Has he had to re-adjust his expectations based on his success? Is there no such thing as a “signature Laine” goal? Is he more confident in front of the net? The surprise at his success? How does he feel about his defensive play?

To listen click here.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Matthews is full season older and Laine is playing in his 1st season in NA.

This. You cannot even say that Matthews is playing poorly. He isn't. Laine's game right now is just on a higher level, even while you'd expect the opposite based on given ages and experience from smaller rinks. Didn't quite foresee Laine could turn this kind of a gear on so early, but what little did I know...

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Then lucky they got Matthews (compared to Kopitar) who has a couple of Cups.

It would have sucked to get neither by say falling down in the draft lottery.

And deciding against taking Tkachuk ... and taking Virtanen over Nylander or Ehlers. But blame Gillis for that :sarcasm:

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
Imagine what kind of player he will be in 3-4 years with another 15-20 of muscle on him.

jets-stanley-cup.jpg

Soon!!!

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Find it rather funny that people manage to draw premature conclusions in the very same posts that they complain about Leafs fans drawing premature conclusions after the first game.

It's great to see the kids bursting onto the scene like this, and I want to give Jets a lot of credit as well. They do a real good job putting Laine in as good a spot as possible, they're handling him superbly.

Just realized that might sound like a backhanded compliment, so just want to point out that it was genuine. Full cred to Laine and the Jets both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad