Patrick Kane vs Auston Matthews

Who will go down as the better American born player?

• Total voters

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
One second Matthews is a Selke calibre player, the next he's garbage defensively. What does the numbers actually say? Anyone got a nice colorful chart?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
One second Matthews is a Selke calibre player, the next he's garbage defensively. What does the numbers actually say? Anyone got a nice colorful chart?
Closer to Selke than garbage.

Patrick Kane's game however is truly mind-boggling. He's so smooth. Completely stands out league-wide.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

Matthews’ first two seasons he was a liability defensively. He would cherry pick a lot to try and leave the zone a little too early with stats on his mind. He’s improved, and I’d say he’s about average defensively now. He still does suffer from leaving the zone too early and thinking offense too much.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Pretty much this. Individually Matthews may top him, but I don't see Matthews passing Kane's 3 cups, which will be used as a metric when looking at their full career.

I feel like as long as a player wins 1 cup, then that's good enough for their legacy. It's when players never win the championship that they get devalued for it. As long as he wins 1, Kane's 3 cups won't be a factor and it will come down to individual performance.

Still, Matthews has a long way to go. He should win the rocket this year. He has the calder already. So the hardware is starting. He needs to keep it up though and win a few more rockets, or a hart, or selke, or a couple of something. Do that, win at least 1 cup and not fall off a cliff statistically, and I think he passes Kane. But everything I just listed is a what if and not a certainty. Doable of course, but not a certainty.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I feel like as long as a player wins 1 cup, then that's good enough for their legacy. It's when players never win the championship that they get devalued for it. As long as he wins 1, Kane's 3 cups won't be a factor and it will come down to individual performance.

Still, Matthews has a long way to go. He should win the rocket this year. He has the calder already. So the hardware is starting. He needs to keep it up though and win a few more rockets, or a hart, or selke, or a couple of something. Do that, win at least 1 cup and not fall off a cliff statistically, and I think he passes Kane. But everything I just listed is a what if and not a certainty. Doable of course, but not a certainty.

individual performance in the playoffs will still be compared. 5 great post season performances >> 1. Having a conn smythe, a series clinching goal in every round highlighted by a cup winning goal in 2010, insane stats in series clinching games and elimination games, Kane’s legacy in the playoffs will have to be outdone by matthews. One cup was never going to cut it when it’s against one of the most clutch playoff players in this era

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
As a non Leaf fan who is sick and tired of all the Matthews polls and threads I still voted Matthews.

Right now Kane is the best American hockey player ever. The thing is Matthews if he stays healthy can surpass Kane and I believe over time he will. Either way these two players will probably be 1/2 and only after Matthews career will we know for sure who is/was the best.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Lots of comments about Matthews being better but the vote total is 78% in favor of Kane.
Even with the shill accounts.

I'm a big Auston Matthews fan, one of my favorite players in the league and for Team USA.
But he has a LONG way to go to catch the legend that is Patrick MF'n Kane.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Are people that petty that they need to make extra accounts just to vote for matthews?

Kind of wild tbh but not all that surprising.

To some leaf fans, auston is the best player in the league. So any poll he looses is taken as a slight and anyone who votes against him is considered a hater lol
Well those polls need to be tightened up.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Think the smart money is on Kane, just because he has set the bar so high. But Mathews has the potential to make this close or even pass him when the dust settles.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You know almost half of those clips were in the offensive or neutral zone right?
And how about the other half?

Either way, I'm glad you took the time to watch. And it shouldn't really matter. Unless you consider good defensive players ones who consistently get hemmed into their own zone :dunno:

Last edited:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
And how about the other half?

Either way, I'm glad you took the time to watch. And it shouldn't really matter. Unless you consider good defensive players ones who consistently get hemmed into their own zone :dunno:
Being good defensively and being hemmed in your own zone are not not directly related. I’m not saying Matthews is bad defensively, he’s definitely improved since his first few years. I just don’t think he’s this elite 200’ player some claim he is. And many of the clips in that video are what I would more with offense than defense.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013

The list of things you mentioned? It’s like as far from a certainty as anything could possibly be...It wouldn’t be inaccurate at all to call it a “long shot”. Idc how much talent you have.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The posts in this thread are absurd. Thread title should at the very least be changed to “What does Matthews need to do to surpass Kane?”. At least then it can be a healthy debate while still respecting reality.

Guys, there’s a very real chance that Kane finishes somewhere in the top 15-20 all time in points. Add that to the already mentioned accolades of his, that which Matthews is still very far from achieving.

Matthews is a stud. He’s going to most likely be the best goal scorer of his generation from this season onwards. Just enjoy his career. Don’t taint it with these nonsense statements.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Ones a HOFer and the other doesn't even have a cup, let alone 3.

Matthews vs Duchene would be a much closer comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad