Patrick Kane vs Auston Matthews

Who will go down as the better American born player?

• Total voters

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Although Matthews is noticeably better than Marner, I don't see Marner as Kane's equal at all.
Maybe not equal but slightly less, I have closely followed both from their Knights days onward and the 2 have always been similar, hell it even came down the 2 of them in the passing challenge at the all star game lol

Reactions: Maplebeasts

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
It's not. Laine, Barzal, Eichel and Aho are also all better than Matthews.

[mod] I don't think any of those players are better than Matthews. Especially Laine. And most people I know would trade Eichel straight up for Matthews.

Last edited by a moderator:

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
However, I do think Matthews right now is certainly a better player than Kane ever has been.
No, '15-'16 Kane is better than Matthews is right now.

3 stanley cups is a team accomplishment. .

Kane was on a team that won 3 Cups but he also is one of the most clutch players to have ever played the game.

Consider in games where the Blackhawks have a chance to eliminate a team, he has 29 points in 21 games (including 3 GWG in OT).
In games where his team is facing elimination, Kane has 24 points in 19 games, including again, 3 GWG goals.

Yes, his team won 3 Cups with him, but he is a large reason why.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I think it's silly to say that Matthews has to step it up in order to reach the heights of Kane.
I completely disagree.
He needs to continue doing what he is doing now.
Last season he could easily have won a Rocket Richard, this season he is the clear favourite to win, it's possible that he has already clinched it by now. There does not seem to be any reason as to why he would not be the odds-on favourite to continue winning the Rocket going forward (kind of like Ovechkin who was always the favourite before every season).

Kane's defensive play is not quite as bad as some have tried to portray.
Matthews' defensive play is very good, and it has improved every year at the same rate that his offensive game has.

Could Matthews surpass Kane? Yes.
He has a ways to go, but it is possible.
It's likely that he will, if and only if he can keep this same level of play for a long and healthy career.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Matthews would need to win at least one Conn Smythe. And 3 cups. And make the conference finals a few times besides that. And be a clutch playoff OT warrior. That's tough to overcome.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
No, '15-'16 Kane is better than Matthews is right now.

Kane was on a team that won 3 Cups but he also is one of the most clutch players to have ever played the game.

Consider in games where the Blackhawks have a chance to eliminate a team, he has 29 points in 21 games (including 3 GWG in OT).
In games where his team is facing elimination, Kane has 24 points in 19 games, including again, 3 GWG goals.

Yes, his team won 3 Cups with him, but he is a large reason why.

I disagree.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very unlikely to reach Kane's offensive numbers? You'll have to explain this to me because the numbers so far indicate exactly the opposite, and the only thing we can go by is the numbers so far.

Their PPG are almost exactly the same for their careers, considering Kane has a .01 advantage right now. That could change after a game or two, but adjusting for eras, you have to give Kane the clear advantage. Scoring is up now compared to Kane's prime.

And as long as it's close or tied, you have to give the advantage to the guy whose career is nearly completed. Matthews has to show year over year that he can score like Kane has for 14 seasons now. Matthews has also missed 3-4 games per season more so far in his career due to injury than Kane.

As for accolades, sure, that will be tougher. Matthews is only 23 though and is very likely to get the rocket this year. All evidence points to him winning more scoring titles in the future based on his skill set. A Hart is definitely not out of the question. My guess is he'll be in the running this year although won't win it.

So just not sure where this very unlikely stuff is coming from.

If we are to say a Rocket for Matthews is comparable to an Art Ross for Kane, you are still talking about a missed Hart, Conn Smythe, three Cups, Lindsay. I'm not suggesting it's impossible for Matthews to accomplish all that, but I do not think its likely he equals Kane for accolades.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I disagree.
Kane was the best player in the world that year.

League scoring 2015-16

1. Patrick Kane - 106 points
2. Jamie Benn - 89 points
3. Sidney Crosby - 85 points

NHL scoring was significantly down and he had 17 points more then the 2nd place guy.

Matthews this year is #3 in scoring, 1st goals, plays sound defensively at C. He's making it close.

Kane was the best player in the world in 2015-16. Matthews is probably the 2nd best player in 2021.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

League scoring 2015-16

NHL scoring was significantly down and he had 17 points more then the 2nd place guy.

Matthews this year is #3 in scoring, 1st goals, plays sound defensively at C. He's making it close.

Kane was the best player in the world in 2015-16. Matthews is the probably the 2nd best player in 2021.

He wouldn't have been the best in the world that year had prime McDavid been around. That's not a slight on Kane, he's the greatest American player of all time I just believe Matthews is that damn good.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
if we are talking "player" only then it could be Matthews b/c fans LOVE their goals and I think he will be a special goal scorer. Career wise... he's going to do something very special to surpass 3 cups.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

League scoring 2015-16

Kane was the best player in the world in 2015-16. Matthews is probably the 2nd best player in 2021.

No just no.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
When you have last years Hart winner and MacK below Matthews you are hard to take seriously
Your posts are hard to take seriously.
Matthews has 16 more goals then Mackinnon and has a higher PPG. Are you seriously going to try and make that argument that Mackinnon has been better this season? Seriously?
Matthews has dominated Draisital in nearly every match up this year. He plays better defence, he's actually a full time C, has 9 more more goals then draisital in 4 less games... Matthews has been better this season then both of them.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Your posts are hard to take seriously.
Matthews has 16 more goals then Mackinnon and has a higher PPG. Are you seriously going to try and make that argument that Mackinnon has been better this season? Seriously?
Matthews has dominated Draisital in nearly every match up this year. He plays better defence, he's actually a full time C, has 9 more more goals then draisital in 4 less games... Matthews has been better this season then both of them.

There is a 2 point gap between Matthews and Mackinnon while Matthews has one more GP.. mentioning a better PPG is basically a non argument. Also not mentioning MacK plays in a much better division, and has been better for longer than Matthews who is seeing a bump in production due to facing some of the worst teams in the league this year 9-10 times this season.

Imagine actually ignoring a 10 pt gap between Draisaitl and Matthews and hiding behind "muh goals". In the end Draisaitl has netted his team more goals than Matthews has get over it.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

There is a 2 point gap between Matthews and Mackinnon while Matthews has one more GP.. mentioning a better PPG is basically a non argument. Also not mentioning MacK plays in a much better division, and has been better for longer than Matthews who is seeing a bump in production due to facing some of the worst teams in the league this year 9-10 times this season.

Imagine actually ignoring a 10 pt gap between Draisaitl and Matthews and hiding behind "muh goals". In the end Draisaitl has netted his team more goals than Matthews has get over it.

The West is also horrawful. The North has Calgary, Vancouver and Ottawa to beat up on but the Avs have the Cali teams and two middling teams in the Blues and Coyotes. No doubt Matthews has been better this season, but who knows what happens next season. Draisaitl is a bit less clear. He has more points but gets a lot more minutes and has played 4 more games. It's perfectly reasonable to think Matthews has been better than Draisaitl this season taking in how many more goals he has scored factoring in minutes played they are extremely close production wise and the large gap in defensive play.

Last edited:

Party Kane

Nov 7, 2013
Chicago

League scoring 2015-16

LOL Matthews is arguably 4th at best this year. Mcdavid is clearly better, Draisaitl is still better and always has been, Mackinnon is better and always has been, he's in contention for 4 with guys like Rantanen, Hedman, Kane.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
LOL Matthews is arguably 4th at best this year. Mcdavid is clearly better, Draisaitl is still better and always has been, Mackinnon is better and always has been, he's in contention for 4 with guys like Rantanen, Hedman, Kane.

Rantanen sticks out like an orange cone on that list.

Also, what is playing with McDavid worth? Matthews is 9 points behind Draisaitl, having played 4 less games, 13 of his games he was quite obviously injured enough to not even shoot much.
Now, he's also better defensively than Draisaitl, plays a more important position, and is playing with a significant downgrade from McDavid to Marner - not that Marner is a poor player in any means, but nobody is McDavid in this league.

Hedman, Kane, Vasi, Mackinnon, Draisaitl.
That's Matthews' group.

What order you want to put them in, go for it.

It's akin to having the Bugatti in one garage, and then an Enzo, 918, and P1 in another. Which of those 3 is your favourite.......who cares. Anyone would take either of them.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
[mod]

Matthews has 31 goals in 38 games. Kane has 14 goals in 42 games.
Matthews is 1.37 ppg Kane is 1.24 ppg.
Matthews is elite defensively, hits and plays center, Kane is a winger and doesn't use the body very much.

Kane is closer with Marner this year. Actually their numbers are identical and are both wingers.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Rantanen sticks out like an orange cone on that list.

Also, what is playing with McDavid worth? Matthews is 9 points behind Draisaitl, having played 4 less games, 13 of his games he was quite obviously injured enough to not even shoot much.
Now, he's also better defensively than Draisaitl, plays a more important position, and is playing with a significant downgrade from McDavid to Marner - not that Marner is a poor player in any means, but nobody is McDavid in this league.

Hedman, Kane, Vasi, Mackinnon, Draisaitl.
That's Matthews' group.

What order you want to put them in, go for it.

It's akin to having the Bugatti in one garage, and then an Enzo, 918, and P1 in another. Which of those 3 is your favourite.......who cares. Anyone would take either of them.

Draisaitl literally won the Hart and Ross just last season away from McDavid last season. You can make a pretty good argument that Matthews benefits from having Nylander and Tavares on his team which creates matchup issues for opposing teams meanwhile for Edmonton its pretty much a bunch of nothing after their top 2 guys. McDavid and Draisaitl are the only guys worth defending against for Edmonton meanwhile the Leafs have 4 guys that draw teams best defenders and shutdown guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad