Patrick Kane Vs Auston Matthews

Who is going to be the better player of these two?

• Patrick Kane

Votes: 140 53.4%
  • Auston Matthews

Votes: 122 46.6%

• Total voters

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
It wouldn't surprise me at all for Matthews to have a better career than Kane. He's already a much better goal scorer, plays the more demanding position, and will be a key component to drive Toronto's future success in the playoffs. Can't take anything away from Kane though, he's pretty much been in the elite of the league since they won their first cup with that core.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Interesting to note their first 2 seasons:

Kane: 0.88ppg
Matthews: 0.93ppg

It'll be interesting to see what kind of numbers Matthews will be capable of in his prime.

also matthews with 81 goals through 149 games
kane had 46 in 162

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Kane's career getting seriously overrated in this thread.

Yes he has cups and he was a huge part of that but at the end of the day that's still a team accomplishment.

His Art Ross season was special but outside of that he's mostly been a PPG winger. Which is good, but hardly unbeatable.

Reactions: IPS and authentic

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I think they're both massive d bags but Matthews doesn't have the off ice stuff that Kane has so I voted for Matthews cus as far as I can tell he's only a d bag on the ice.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
let matthews win a cup let alone 3 before you can even put these two guys in the same sentence

I forgot that Kane single handedly won a team award without the help of a Norris caliber defenseman or any other teammate. I wonder if the Hockey Hall of Fame knows this?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think they're both massive d bags but Matthews doesn't have the off ice stuff that Kane has so I voted for Matthews cus as far as I can tell he's only a d bag on the ice.

Lol what because of his recent celebration? The kid scored 4 goals in his first NHL game and didn't even celebrate.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Strange, I don't recall that at all..
Probably no more injured than most of the players in the playoffs. At the end of the playoffs you usually find that most players are playing through something. The great ones play through it. I’m sure this was just a bad year for Matthews. He’ll be fine in the playoffs. Just so talented.

Reactions: Mean Gene

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I forgot that Kane single handedly won a team award without the help of a Norris caliber defenseman or any other teammate. I wonder if the Hockey Hall of Fame knows this?
No player single handedly wins anything. But the Conn Smythe is at least evidence that he was the most important player in a Cup run. Those of who watched the Hawks Cup runs have no doubt that Kane was a phenomenal player during the runs.
In fact, as a Canucks fan, I can say that from experience!

Reactions: dukeofjive

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Kane's career getting seriously overrated in this thread.

Yes he has cups and he was a huge part of that but at the end of the day that's still a team accomplishment.

His Art Ross season was special but outside of that he's mostly been a PPG winger. Which is good, but hardly unbeatable.

Lol you know only ovi, Malkin, Crosby have a better ppg over that stretch. Matthews will have to be on that level to be definitively ahead of Kane.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Lol you know only ovi, Malkin, Crosby have a better ppg over that stretch. Matthews will have to be on that level to be definitively ahead of Kane.

Except there's a solid gap between them and Kane, and Kane is barely ahead of the pack (in both PPG and career in that time frame). There's no reason a player can't fit into that gap at a level between, or be on Kane's level but still be clearly ahead

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Why is it extremely unlikely? He's been touted as a future all-time great and one of the best US-born players ever since he was 16, and nothing has changed to lower his stock. He might not achieve what Kane has, but he has always projected to be that very same tier of player.
because not many players to ever play the game have 3 cups a scoring title and a conn smyth while producing at a exteremly high clip every year of there career without getting hurt...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad