Patrick Kane Vs Auston Matthews

Who is going to be the better player of these two?

• Patrick Kane

Votes: 140 53.4%
  • Auston Matthews

Votes: 122 46.6%

• Total voters

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
At the end of the same year as Matthews current season, Kane finished 9th in league scoring, had broken 70 points 3 consecutive times, won 6 playoff series, put up a Conn Symthe worthy playoff run, scored the cup winning goal and won a Cup, let's see how Mr 1st round exit stacks up.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
At the end of the same year as Matthews current season, Kane finished 9th in league scoring, had broken 70 points 3 consecutive times, won 6 playoff series, put up a Conn Symthe worthy playoff run, scored the cup winning goal and won a Cup, let's see how Mr 1st round exit stacks up.

Well, so far, he's had a week that is a decent month for almost all players in the league.
Looking pretty good to be honest.

Also, seeing as he didn't get to play a full season last year, if you were to take his last 82 games played, he has 54 goals and 37 assists for 91 points.
Not too shabby.

Reactions: authentic

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I mean Matthews could end up better but you gotta be a massive fotmer or homer to say it's the likely outcome. Kane got one of the most dominant seasons in the last 20 years or so, a Smythe, cups(cup winning goal), all-star selections, over a ppg in 800+ games, the freshest commercials and so on and he might not be entirely done yet. It's just bonkers to bet against that unless we talk a McDavid level talent that already has a couple of trophies under the belt.

Can't believe Matthews is winning the poll.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I mean Matthews could end up better but you gotta be a massive fotmer or homer to say it's the likely outcome. Kane got one of the most dominant seasons in the last 20 years or so, a Smythe, cups(cup winning goal), all-star selections, over a ppg in 800+ games, the freshest commercials and so on and he might not be entirely done yet. It's just bonkers to bet against that unless we talk a McDavid level talent that already has a couple of trophies under the belt.

Can't believe Matthews is winning the poll.

I guess most people are just aware that he's the better talent and unless you assume a career full of injuries it's hard to bet against that. He's only just turned 21 and is already the clearly better goal scorer and two-way forward who looks to be playing on a stacked team for the forseeable future. He may not match Kane's single peak season but it's more likely than you seem to think that he could end up being the better all-time player.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Matthews has the potential to surpass Kane, no doubt.
But a lot will have to go right for him to do so. Health, team success, linemates, etc.

Kane's career so far has been amazing.

To add to the previous lists of his accomplishments, Kane is 3rd all-time in playoff OT goals.
Since he entered the league he's only behind Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin in points and he's younger than all of them.
Over the last 4 years, he's the #1 point producer in the NHL.

Can Matthews do it? Yes, but it won't be easy.

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
let matthews win a cup let alone 3 before you can even put these two guys in the same sentence

Good thing Cups aren't a team award...

I doubt Matthews gets 3 cups with the cap, but as for the best player, it should be Matthews. If he keeps the same career trajectory he is on, it is Matthews easily since he is already better than Kane at the same age.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Matthews has the potential to surpass Kane, no doubt.
But a lot will have to go right for him to do so. Health, team success, linemates, etc.

Kane's career so far has been amazing.

To add to the previous lists of his accomplishments, Kane is 3rd all-time in playoff OT goals.
Since he entered the league he's only behind Ovechkin, Crosby, and Malkin in points and he's younger than all of them.
Over the last 4 years, he's the #1 point producer in the NHL.

Can Matthews do it? Yes, but it won't be easy.

While impressive, that OT number is 5. For context Marleau has 4.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
While impressive, that OT number is 5. For context Marleau has 4.

Marleau is also 10 years older and has played about 60 more playoff games.

Kane is only one behind Rocket Richard with 53 fewer games played and already surpassed him in goals.
And he's 3 behind Joe Sakic with 45 fewer games played.

Oh, and 3 of those OT winners were series winners, including the WCF against the Kings and the SCF against the Flyers.

Incredible career, one of the greatest playoff performers ever.

Matthews has a lot of catching up to do.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I think Matthews is going to win some hardware, aside from the Calder both him and Kane already have. But it's highly unlikely he will win as much as Kane has. A Hart, an Art Ross, a Conn Smythe... Matthews has a legitimate shot at some of those, sure, but stars will have to align.

Career numbers will be another challenge. No-one can say how Matthews will fare with injuries.

Lots of ifs, but roll a die and Matthews might equal Kane, of even surpass him. What he won't do though is have more Cup rings. The Hawks run is incredibly tough to match, and I won't believe a Leafs Cup victory until I see the parade.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Kane's career getting seriously overrated in this thread.

Yes he has cups and he was a huge part of that but at the end of the day that's still a team accomplishment.

His Art Ross season was special but outside of that he's mostly been a PPG winger. Which is good, but hardly unbeatable.

Not really, for a majority of his career he had no elite centerman or an elite winger complimenting him due to Toews playing with Hossa and Sharp while Kane was given the leftovers of Bickell, a rookie Brandon Saad, living fossils Michal Hanzeus and Brad Richards, Shaw, Bolland, etc. Anisimov being the best center Kane has played with from 2010-15 is pretty telling of the quality of players Kane has played with during his prime. Nylander is miles better than any one of those by far. Kane could have done a lot more if he spent more time with elite wingers vs what he had for most of his career. He was even on track to win the Ross with Brad Richards and Versteeg as his lineys for 2015 before missing the rest of the regular season. Matthews should win a hart before this discussion is opened up again.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
I 100% think Matthews has the talent and drive to match Kane, but statistically speaking it's so hard to vote against somebody that's already won a Hart, Art Ross and 3 cups.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
They will both go down as 2 of the best Americans to ever play the game. Right now Matthew's has a long way to go to rack up the awards and recognition Kane has, but hes got the skill to do it. Tough poll but being from Buffalo I give the homer vote to Kane, its gonna be very close though.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
People are quick to think a player will be a consistently top player. Matthews probably will be that or close to it, but Kane has done this for 10+ years beeing over 1 ppg in his career. 123 points in 127 playoff games, winning pretty much everything you can win both as a team and individual. No matter how good you might think Matthews is, the odds are against him having a better career than kane.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
If everything goes right for Matthews he MIGHT equal Kane if he is lucky.

Kane so underrated

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Let us not forget Kane should probably have the 2010 CS award as well...but unfortunately it is voted on before the end of the playoffs.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
How the hell is Matthews winning this?
People are presuming he'll stay healthy. Big presumption. For the sake of The Game, I hope he stays healthy. It's iffy.

Speaking of lack-of-health, I reminded myself that Crosby missed mega-mondo time during the years that would have constituted his playing age 23-24-25. At any rate, it's evidence that you can look injury-prone as a (relative) youngster- and actually have a chance to flip that script. Not necessarily pulling for Toronto, the team- but I am pulling for Matthews, the kid.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Ppl voting “potential” of Matthews. Lol. Give your heads a shake. It’s Kane all day every day until proven other wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->