Patrick Kane Vs Auston Matthews

Who is going to be the better player of these two?

• Patrick Kane

Votes: 140 53.4%
  • Auston Matthews

Votes: 122 46.6%

• Total voters

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
If Matthews retired with Kane's list of accolades and cups then I don't think any Leaf fan would complain. I do think Matthews will end up the better player especially when factoring in he's a center.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's hard to vote against Kane here, considering he's got cups, conn smythe and a scoring title.

I'm just thrilled that Matthews is a talented enough player to surpass that.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
All said and done at the end of their careers I think Kane ends up as the best winger we’ve seen in a while.
You just can’t ignore the Cups of which he was probably the most important member even with Toews and Keith.
So him.

danfromwaterloo

Dec 16, 2010
At this point, Matthews has a long way to go achievement-wise before he can say he's in the same ballpark. Skillwise, he looks like he has it. As mentioned before, Kane may or may not be superior to Matthews skillwise, but he's done a lot more.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Interesting to note their first 2 seasons:

Kane: 0.88ppg
Matthews: 0.93ppg

It'll be interesting to see what kind of numbers Matthews will be capable of in his prime.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews has potential to put up more very elite seasons even if he never reaches the peak level Kane did. He'll have his work cut out for him though, and even if he does end up better it won't be by much.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He probably isn't

I don't see why not, both were first overall picks and Matthews was better in his first two seasons than Kane. He's already a clearly better goal scorer and defensive player than Kane's ever been so he's atleast got that going for him already.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Matthews is better. Kane actually requires quite an ideal situation to function well. Matthews you can insert anywhere and he works very well. And when not scoring, he's far more useful.

In terms of cups and achievements, Blackhawks had a #1D in Keith and #1G in Crawford, both of which being something Leafs lack. It's not a single player game.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don't see why not, both were first overall picks and Matthews was better in his first two seasons than Kane. He's already a clearly better goal scorer and defensive player than Kane's ever been so he's atleast got that going for him already.
The reason why not is because Patrick Kane is an all time great player with Cup winning/conn Smythe pedigree.

It's extremely unlikely Matthews has the career Patrick Kane has had

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
The reason why not is because Patrick Kane is an all time great player with Cup winning/conn Smythe pedigree.

Why is it extremely unlikely? He's been touted as a future all-time great and one of the best US-born players ever since he was 16, and nothing has changed to lower his stock. He might not achieve what Kane has, but he has always projected to be that very same tier of player.

Reactions: Grabner

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It's hard to vote against Kane here, considering he's got cups, conn smythe and a scoring title.

I'm just thrilled that Matthews is a talented enough player to surpass that.

I went against my usual mo and voted Matthews. Maybe I'm buying in to the hype but man,he looks like a top-3 player already.

I wouldn't be shocked if Kane ends up ahead, I mean Hart, Art, Smythe and 3 Cups is pretty f***ing hard to top. But I have a feeling Matthews can top that.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Why is it extremely unlikely? He's been touted as a future all-time great and one of the best US-born players ever since he was 16, and nothing has changed to lower his stock. He might not achieve what Kane has, but he has always projected to be that very same tier of player.
Again, it's extremely unlikely because of what Kane has accomplished already (he's only 29 too).

Let him do ONE of the things Kane has done in his career before you even compare. Kane has an Art Ross, Hart, Conn Smythe, Pearson, 3 cups, has scored 100+ points. Been over a PPG almost every single year of his career.

Like I said, he's on of the all time great players. Probably a top 5-6 player of his era.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Matthews is better. Kane actually requires quite an ideal situation to function well. Matthews you can insert anywhere and he works very well. And when not scoring, he's far more useful.

In terms of cups and achievements, Blackhawks had a #1D in Keith and #1G in Crawford, both of which being something Leafs lack. It's not a single player game.

please explain? do you mean by "ideal situation to function well" as in Kane for 6-7 years out of 10 playing with pylons for centers yet still achieving the best ppg in that span outside of Malkin, Crosby and Ovi??

it absolutely amazes me how little people really know about Kane and his deployment and just how well he has done typically playing with so much less. Toews needs top players to produce which is why he has always had a Hossa, Sharp, or Saad stapled to him. Outside of Panarin, the best consistent linemate Kane has played with was David Bolland until right now. shocking how undervalued Kane is. I love Matthews, he will be a great player, he has a long way to go before he gets put into the same sentence as Kane.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

And lets not forget Toews. Who was a legit #1C (probably top-5) during their best runs.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Makes no sense at all. Patrick Kane has driven his own line almost his entire career.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Makes no sense at all. Patrick Kane has driven his own line almost his entire career.
yep, such an ideal situation that Kane was paired with the HHOF'er Michal Handzus!!!! Kane still produced carrying Zeus around on his line for a year and a half...you know it is bad when Brad Richards gets brought in to play with Kane and it feels like we just got Tavares in terms of upgrade over what Kaner typically is paired with lol

Reactions: dukeofjive

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I’m guessing a lot of posters are fairly new here and didn’t watch Kane in his prime?
that they must be, once Coach Q decided to split up Toews and Kane and only pair them together as a "nuclear option" Kane has been paired with some of the worst players a Hall of Fame player has been punished to play with throughout a career. yes, at times he did get Sharpie and Hossa on wing, and did have Bolland there too, but the absolute mess of linemates he carries year in and year out would astonish people. I do not know if Matthews could do that, I hope he never has to stare over to his center (or wing for Matthews) and see a Michal Handzus there lol

Reactions: dukeofjive

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Well I mean if Cups are the deciding factor Matthews is not likely to be the better all time player, but that's a team award. But I don't see any reason why he can't put up some Conn Smythe playoff runs in the future. His only healthy playoff series so far he scored 4 goals in 6 games as a 19 year old rookie against the Presidents Trophy winners and Cup champions the following season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad