Patrick Kane subject of police investigation II [READ MOD OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
People like you calling the victims allegations into question why we have a victim-blaming society.

This girl, likely, had to work up the courage and strength to tell authorities or anther source this happened to her. Do you think this is easy? She was probably in a horrible place. Why do you think so many rapes go unreported or get dropped in court? Because it's a horribly difficult process that most women would rather not deal. Then they have people calling their confession into question and implying that they are only doing this for personal gain.

You never blame the victim, ever. And you believe she is telling the truth until informed officially otherwise. IF this isn't true, then this can only be used for this case. That's not a generalization of rape cases. As other former cases of women lying isn't a reflection on this case. Incredibly few rape allegations are false. It's unfair and uniformed to assume she is lying.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Just trying to catch up but do we have any sort of confirmation that the alleged victim went to Kane's home alone with him after meeting at a bar and the incident happened there?

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
People like you calling the victims allegations into question why we have a victim-blaming society.

This girl, likely, had to work up the courage and strength to tell authorities or anther source this happened to her. Do you think this is easy? She was probably in a horrible place. Why do you think so many rapes go unreported or get dropped in court? Because it's a horribly difficult process that most women would rather not deal. Then they have people calling their confession into question and implying that they are only doing this for personal gain.

You never blame the victim, ever. And you believe she is telling the truth until informed officially otherwise. IF this isn't true, then this can only be used for this case. That's not a generalization of rape cases. As other former cases of women lying isn't a reflection on this case. Incredibly few rape allegations are false. It's unfair and uniformed to assume she is lying.

2-10% of rape allegations are false. It's not an insignificant number and I would bet this number would be higher for men of celebrity/wealth.

What you're suggesting sounds the exact opposite of what our court system is based on: innocent until proven guilty. You don't assume a victim is telling the truth until it is proven in court.

It's just as unfair and uninformed to assume she's telling the truth.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Just trying to catch up but do we have any sort of confirmation that the alleged victim went to Kane's home alone with him after meeting at a bar and the incident happened there?

I don't think anything is known except for the incident allegedly took place at Kane's home.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

I don't agree with calling out victims; However, under the same notion we shouldn't be slagging the accused until everything is clear.

This whole situation makes me sick. If he did it, he deserves the worst...if it is a false allegation, then they deserve the same. I've heard more than a few cases where a 'victim' accuses for personal gain. (shame, money, fame etc.)

I understand your standpoint that for most victims it takes alot to come out and report these things. And if they are going to be constantly barraged with "you are lying", than it makes things that much more difficult.

However, it needs to be just as important to note that by falsely accusing someone you are essentially ruining their life too.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
If he's innocent, Kane needs to grow the **** up already.

Disgusting.

So instead of stomping out the issue of rapists, we should accept their existence and teach women how not to be raped? And if they didn't follow those instructions, then they were asking for it? We probably shouldn't even pursue charges against the rapist because she should have known better.

How are you going to "stomp out the issue of rapists"? If you know how, you need to tell the world already.

When(if) we can "stomp out the issue of rapists", we can also "stomp out the issue" of all crime. That time certainly isn't now or anywhere in the near future.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
2-10% of rape allegations are false. It's not an insignificant number and I would bet this number would be higher for men of celebrity/wealth.

What you're suggesting sounds the exact opposite of what our court system is based on: innocent until proven guilty. You don't assume a victim is telling the truth until it is proven in court.

It's just as unfair and uninformed to assume she's telling the truth.

Well, making a false accusation of rape is a crime; you can get charged. So, by your logic, would it not be uninformed to assume she's lying? Innocent until proven guilty after all.

CCook37

Jun 11, 2014
Chicago, IL
Everyone is throwing out "she is probably lying" and maybe she is. Every Hawks fan and hockey fan probably hope nothing happens with it. It would be a huge blow to the NHL for one of the faces of hockey and the face of American hockey to be convicted of rape. But the fact of the matter this is very serious. As a Hawks fan, this is brutal. However, if this is found to be true, I hope justice is served on Kane.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Preventative action is fine, but shouldn't we be teaching people not to victimize others instead of being more concerned with teaching people how not to be victims?

I am having a hard time with this angle. Does a reasonable person really need to be told not to steal, murder or rape?

The same reason women and other potentiallly vulnerable people should protect themselves more vigorously than most men need to is a result of the choices or potential choices of others. I wish I didn't have to drive as defensively as I do, but my experience has taught me to assume that other drivers will often make poor decisions.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Well, making a false accusation of rape is a crime; you can get charged. So, by your logic, would it not be uninformed to assume she's lying? Innocent until proven guilty after all.

I prefer the "let justice run its course" method to the assume either one is making a righteous claim.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Is it possible that one of his buddies raped a woman at his home? All we know is the alleged rape happened at his home. To me that sounds more plausible.

If that is the case, Kane's lawyers are going to have a field day bringing a few hundred reporters and news agencies to court. A number of these articles/tweets/etc. haven't exactly been neutral in regards to his level of involvement.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Doesn't sound good, I know everyone makes mistakes but this, if true, is serious stuff. Let's wait and see what happens here but it's going to be a huge blow to the NHL if this is all true.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
You can't possibly be this naive of a person. A female does not go home alone with a guy she just met at the bar unless she's willing to have sex with him.

I'd also like to point out that consent can be withdrawn. A person can go home with someone else with the intent to sleep with them, but have a change of heart on the way/at the house and decide they no longer want to. If someone withdraws their consent, you cannot proceed any further, regardless of how eager they may have been before.

But the part I'm confused about is this: how drunk is too drunk to legally give consent? Almost every one-night stand I've ever had was between two "drunk" people after a night of fun out on the town or whatever. Now, we weren't "falling over ourselves" drunk or "unable to speak coherently" drunk, but we were probably beyond DUI drunk... is that enough to get a guy in trouble for rape?

It was posted earlier, but in NY state too drunk to give consent is basically at a point where you're incapacitated from alcohol. That doesn't mean 'typical' DUI drunk, that means more like unable to speak/barely able to stand or more.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Very unlikely. Info like that would have been leaked to the press by Kane's people for sure.

Or that his attorney and/or agent have told Kane and everybody within his circle to remain silent during the investigation or until further notice.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

Well said!

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I will consider this another Drew Doughty situation until proven otherwise. Hopefully it goes away like his case did.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Really no assumptions should be made until the evidence comes out.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
You can't possibly be this naive of a person. A female does not go home alone with a guy she just met at the bar unless she's willing to have sex with him. Come on, dude

Wow, did you just come out of your cave?

That's maybe the dumbest comment I have ever heard on here. Going home with someone does not come close to consent. Not even the same area code, not even same solar system.

I really hope that's not how you really feel or your parents are going to have huge legal bills

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I am having a hard time with this angle. Does a reasonable person really need to be told not to steal, murder or rape?

The same reason women and other potentiallly vulnerable people should protect themselves more vigorously than most men need to is a result of the choices or potential choices of others. I wish I didn't have to drive as defensively as I do, but my experience has taught me to assume that other drivers will often make poor decisions.

How do you expect a woman going to a man's house to protect herself if she withdraws consent and the man chooses not to acknowledge it? Should she have pepperspray in her underwear just in case things go south?

Most rapes when discussed online have people focus on what the victim could have done to avoid being raped. Hardly any murders (excluding those committed by police) or robberies have people focus on what the victim could have done to prevent getting murdered or robbed.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

To be fair, there have been many cases of false accusation. Depending on the crime there may be no recovery from a false accusation.

The defendant is innocent until proven guilty but that doesnt mean that the "victim" should be accused of lying.

TampaBayLightning

The Asterisk Dynasty!
Nov 10, 2013
Tampa
Yeah if everyone in this thread is now a possible rapist because they have punched a grown man, I think HFboards should have a lot less women around for their own protection.
I'm 47 years old and I can say I have never punched a grown man other than in a boxing ring for fun. My guess is 99 percent of posters here could say the same.

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
So he might be one of the most iconic players of the 2010s after all :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad