Value of: Patrick Kane at the trade deadline

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I'd love to see Kane get traded. It would be amazing to see. Not a shot at Hawks fans, I'd feel the same way about a lot of stars, including some Sharks if our season goes sour.

I'd like to make an offer, but I don't think we have the expendable pieces. They'd want Hertl++, which we can't do.

I think you're starting to see the NHL fanbase transition to a league where teams want to see the stars traded and new faces wearing their team jerseys.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Id say from Boston:

2019 1st Unprotected
D Charlie McAvoy
RW Anders Bjork
RW David Backes (2 more years at 6.0 million)

McAvoy is the real prize as the future #1 D for Chicago (hell, he's already the Bruins #1), local ND graduate Bjork and this years 1st. Chicago drops Bjork into Kane's spot and accelerates the rebuild with McAvoy, the 1st and Bjork.
That's not a bad offer, and I can see why Backes would make sense cap-wise... but damn, seeing him wear the Indian Head would not make me happy. He has fought Toews more than once, too. That'd be so weird. McAvoy is a good piece and value is fair.

Reactions: Coach Parker

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Id say from Boston:

2019 1st Unprotected
D Charlie McAvoy
RW Anders Bjork

McAvoy is the real prize as the future #1 D for Chicago (hell, he's already the Bruins #1), local ND graduate Bjork and this years 1st. Chicago drops Bjork into Kane's spot and accelerates the rebuild with McAvoy, the 1st and Bjork.

I was trying to think of a proposal without McAvoy. It's tough. And I usually suck at trades.

Krug - another piece the Hawks could move at the deadline (cap)
Carlo - building block RHD
One of Donato, Bjork, Heinen or Studnicka
One of JFK, Cehlarik, Senyshyn or Hughes

I honestly have no idea. The Cap hit is just tough but the player is amazing and exactly what the Bruins need. Then hopefully deal with Backes in the summer.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like it would be pretty dumb to trade him at the deadline

could probably get a lot more for him during the offseason

not that he's getting traded anyways

Bobbybruins

Feb 19, 2018
I will try my luck.

To Chicago:
Torrey Krug
David Backes
Jakob Zboril
Zach Senyshyn
One of Ryan Donato/Danton Heinen
Noel Acciari, just because he's useless in Boston

To Boston:
Patrick Kane
Dylan Strome

I was trying to think of a proposal without McAvoy. It's tough. And I usually suck at trades.

Krug - another piece the Hawks could move at the deadline (cap)
Carlo - building block RHD
One of Donato, Bjork, Heinen or Studnicka
One of JFK, Cehlarik, Senyshyn or Hughes

I honestly have no idea. The Cap hit is just tough but the player is amazing and exactly what the Bruins need. Then hopefully deal with Backes in the summer.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If the hawks were to trade him he would get more during the off season.

More teams. More players able to be moved. At the deadline teams won't really want to move roster players that Chicago would actually want. Not because he's not worth it, but to retain depth.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I will try my luck.

To Chicago:
Torrey Krug
David Backes
Jakob Zboril
Zach Senyshyn
One of Ryan Donato/Danton Heinen
Noel Acciari, just because he's useless in Boston

To Boston:
Patrick Kane
Dylan Strome

so basically a bag of shit for Kane...solid offer

Reactions: Crow

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Id say from Boston:

2019 1st Unprotected
D Charlie McAvoy
RW Anders Bjork

McAvoy is really good obv but the Hawks already have 3 top 4 defenseman in Boqvist, Jokiharju and Ian Mitchell coming as soon as next year...Hawks don't need D, they need top 6 forwards..so why trade your best one and one of the best in the league...

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
If the hawks were to trade him he would get more during the off season.

More teams. More players able to be moved. At the deadline teams won't really want to move roster players that Chicago would actually want. Not because he's not worth it, but to retain depth.
But he's a playoff performer, so why not get him for the run? He will be an upgrade over the roster player you give up. GM's get greedy at the deadline with the prospect of a Cup.

Also, there will be competition in the off-season. Teams will look at UFA's before turning to trade options.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Frolik, Lindholm, Valimaki, 2019 1st for Kane.
Hawks can probably do better, but will Stan be able to resist reuniting Frolik and Kruger?!

Speaking of the Flames, Sam Bennett also seems like the kind of redemption project Stan Bowman likes to acquire.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Kane at 50% retained would be a huge asset and could basically kickstart a very nice rebuild for Chicago. 4.5 years of term left on the contract is a lot to bite for Chicago to retain for so it would never happen.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Kane at 50% retained would be a huge asset and could basically kickstart a very nice rebuild for Chicago. 4.5 years of term left on the contract is a lot to bite for Chicago to retain for so it would never happen.
For the right price, anything can happen.

But is there a big enough piece to warrant that kind of retainment? It'd have to be for another franchise player. I wouldn't retain that much for a Tarasenko, for instance. So... even better, or younger.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Hawks aren't retaining on Kane. If guys like Duchene and Skinner are asking for 9+ then Kane is a steal at 10.5 with term...Hawks rebuild is well on its way and they should land a top 5 pick this year and a top 6 forward in free agency...

Reactions: Trade

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
If the hawks and Kane ever got to that point, it would make more sense to do in the offseason. He still has to agree to the destination and hawks have to find an acceptable package.
Highly unlikely the hawks trade Kane at all. And I don't think Kane will ever ask for a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad