Value of: Patrick Kane at the trade deadline

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
"Oh God, this outrageous man is selling Patrick Kane! How dare he?!" I hear you ask, Chicago fans.

Alright, bear with me... he is the only current veteran on the Blackhawks team that could net anything tangible in return. Kane CAN be traded if Toews and Keith remain as the faces of the franchise. Yes, some fans will get upset, but remember there are also people in Chicago who already dislike him for his off-ice antics. And let's face it - the Hawks ain't winning any more Cups with this core.

For buyers: Kane is a playoff performer and can put a contender over the top. I imagine he would be the biggest fish at the TDL. He is also only turning 30, so there are years left in him. He is not a rental. He has 4 years left in him after this, and those are good years. He will be your top scorer. The Hawks will want a solid future building block. Someone real good. Kane has a 10.5M AAV so a salary dump back the Hawks way is also acceptable. MAYBE even retained salary, though I think the Hawks would prefer receiving a bad contract that expires before their rebuild is done.

Kane has an NMC, but I don't see why he wouldn't waive if asked. He is not married, doesn't have kids. He can go win another Cup.

So, a future hall of famer still in his prime. Let's do this. What is he going to fetch?

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
A lot i believe. Especially if Hawks retain some salary too though

migi

Feb 25, 2015
We know Kane won’t go back to Buffalo but there are some pieces I’d be interested with.

And yeah, in real world Kane wont be traded and I dont want it either so. Just toying with the idea.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
We know Kane won’t go back to Buffalo but there are some pieces I’d be interested with.
Reinhart for sure would be exciting.

How about Tolvanen from Nashville? Just as a starting point. I think the Preds would need to add. We know Nashville hired Ribeiro, a known sexual offender at the time, and nobody cared much, so their fanbase would not bat an eye acquiring a Pat Kane.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Leddy, Wahlstrom, Clutterbuck and Vande Sompel for Kane and Forsling

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
So... uh.. name an asset from your team to get things started. Maybe a forward with top line / star upside?
My teams the Jets Probably just to Start Roslovic+Samburg, +1st. Thats just a start to get them talking. Maybe Trouba???

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Great player, but you are gonna be hard pressed to find a team that can fit him cap wise and offer up the kind of package needed.

I think the better time to look into a trade is after Panarin is resolved

Why trade assets for Kane when you can try and sign Panarin for the same kind of money AND keep your assets

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Great player, but you are gonna be hard pressed to find a team that can fit him cap wise and offer up the kind of package needed.

I think the better time to look into a trade is after Panarin is resolved

Why trade assets for Kane when you can try and sign Panarin for the same kind of money AND keep your assets
The benefit of trading vs UFA is you can dump salary in the deal. And you can also compete for the 2019 Cup if you get Kane at the deadline.

Besides, better a Kane in hand than a Panarin in the bush.

Reactions: DarthProbert

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Colorado should trade Ottawa's 1st (ESP if Ottawa is having a bad year come TDL), Col's 1st and one of their better prospects (you guys pick the appropriate value) for him. Maybe have Chicago retain 2-3M$ a year if they can afford.

I wonder if either of Kane or Ranta can seamlessly switch to playing at LW. Can you imagine that first line?

Kane - Mack - Ranta.

I expect Chicago gets exactly what they want too. A super high draft pick (possibility of top 5 pick), a second 1st round pick, and a prospect.

Reactions: Narwian

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Colorado should trade Ottawa's 1st (ESP if Ottawa is having a bad year come TDL), Col's 1st and one of their better prospects (you guys pick the appropriate value) for him. Maybe have Chicago retain 2-3M$ a year if they can afford.

I wonder if either of Kane or Ranta can seamlessly switch to playing at LW. Can you imagine that first line?

Kane - Mack - Ranta.

I expect Chicago gets exactly what they want too. A super high draft pick (possibility of top 5 pick), a second 1st round pick, and a prospect.

Disgusting

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Leddy, Wahlstrom, Clutterbuck and Vande Sompel for Kane and Forsling
Eww, would not want to see Leddy back. One of my least favourite Hawks. Wahlstrom is a good one. That could be the cornerstone of a trade for sure. Clutterbuck's cap hit makes sense as a dump.

Kane might reject a trade to the Isle though. Even if it's his home state... and Pat Kane loose in NYC night life would be quite a thing.

migi

Feb 25, 2015

Kane - Mack - Ranta.

Two firsts and Bowers?

I’d may consider that very hard but I doubt Avs fans do it.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The benefit of trading vs UFA is you can dump salary in the deal. And you can also compete for the 2019 Cup if you get Kane at the deadline.

Besides, better a Kane in hand than a Panarin in the bush.

Dont necessarily disagree, but the number of teams in place that are ready to compete AND can offer what would be required to obtain his services are very limited and more than close to capped out.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
buffalo 3 1st and Okposo for kane 1 m retained

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Thompson-Mittlestadt-Kane

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Reinhart for sure would be exciting.

How about Tolvanen from Nashville? Just as a starting point. I think the Preds would need to add. We know Nashville hired Ribeiro, a known sexual offender at the time, and nobody cared much, so their fanbase would not bat an eye acquiring a Pat Kane.

Imo it starts with Fiala, they add Tolvanen and first.

Reactions: PitchNHL

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don’t believe he will be moved in season. Kane, toews, Keith are all moves you make in the off season. Similar to how Richards and carter were offloaded.

And before anyone says it’s a hypothetical, hypothetically speaking in the offseason is when you likely get the best return due to his cap hit and others teams cap situations.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Well it's all about the timeline of a "rebuild."

IMO, rebuilds with a whole bunch of young guys all at once don't get ya to the promised land. You need a slew of bonafide NHL'ers and Kane/Toews will still hopefully be good for the next couple years.

For all the talk about the Hawk's regression two names that don't get brought up nearly enough are Hossa/Hammer. Just those two gone hurt hurt the team D significantly. Veteran NHL mercenaries, ya need'em.

But, ya never know.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Kane is great but at 30 he isn’t worth jack Hughes straight up. Salary/age play a huge role into that assessment.
I agree he would not net Jack Hughes. Oh well, the Hawks have a good shot at Hughes anyway. 2nd to last in standings currently.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I'd take him on the Habs anytime. He would fit in perfectly and i would give him KK to center him.

Poehling, Mete and our 1st would be disponible off course for that kind of player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad