Speculation: Patrick Kane and Seth Jones future with Hawks

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
As I said before, Seth Jones has zero place on a tanking team. Zero. He is too good and makes too much money. He needs to go as well as Murphy and any other veteran that can get a return. I think our GM is a complete idiot but there's zero reason to keep Seth Jones on this roster with how crappy this team is going to be for years to come.
I find this... odd. How people seem to go 0 or 100% and I guess that's typical. But I'm more like go 80%

I dint think it's imperative Jones or Kane be traded. They needed to make sure this team was bad enough, still having those 2 Is bad enough.

But all these folks that want to go 100% trade every possible piece, that's bad for your future young picks. I don't see why it's this way.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
50% Kane for Kakko and a pick makes sense.

Hawks could use a forward for the roster and it improves the Rangers window.

I don't think this deal is far of... in young roster player and unprotected 1st from a contender.
We ask Kane about his #1 destination and make it work. He earned that.

sandyfalkirk

Jun 18, 2014
Scotland
For Kane I'd be open to:

1. We trade him now (with max retention) and keep burning it down.

2. We trade him at deadline and offer him a big contract to come back finish as a Hawk after being a playoff for hire.

3. He does not want to move and wants to sign.

4. Trade him at deadline and that's him gone for ever as a Hawk.

We can't let him walk into FA with nothing.
I'd be unhappy if we let him walk for nothing at end of year but that's entirely his choice and I'd respect that. But KD better be doing all he can to avoid it.

Would anyone here honestly be furious if options 1 2 3 or 4 occurred? Sad, yes. Upset at losing a guy who has brought us so much joy the past years, of course.

If he gets traded I honestly might cry. When he retires....its going to be emotional.

Jones? If we can trade him do it, even though its pennies in for the pound.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
As I said before, Seth Jones has zero place on a tanking team. Zero. He is too good and makes too much money. He needs to go as well as Murphy and any other veteran that can get a return. I think our GM is a complete idiot but there's zero reason to keep Seth Jones on this roster with how crappy this team is going to be for years to come.
The thing is, Jones's contract is really hard to fit into a salary structure. They might have to trade him for OEL or someone like that and that's if he even waives.

Otto31

Nov 24, 2013
With the putrid return we got from Cat now it's just become necessary to trade Kane, once our best prospects are Lazar and Reichel. Too far from the ideal to start a rebuild. Actually we will have to trade more players to really reach our goals. To make it worse now he have to deal with the Seth Jones contract, although I think he's a good player he obviously doesn't fit the team's plan. Another bomb about to burst is our center situation considering Tyler Johnson and Toews injury history. Who is gonna play if they get injured? We may be forced to use young players and hurt their development.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
deal around Kane for Kakko or Kratsov (preferably Kakko) makes sense, make the money work however needed, would be interesting to see Hawks move from Dach to Kakko

feel like kane might stick around and be the next captain of team, take all the scoring records and try to see the rebuild through but we'll see...toews seems like a goner and cat was the natural next captain

Last edited:

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Hopefully Kane get's us a 1st 2nd 3rd and solid prospect . Toews and 3rd and 5th ? Of course we pay have the tab .

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hopefully Kane get's us a 1st 2nd 3rd and solid prospect . Toews and 3rd and 5th ? Of course we pay have the tab .
the toews return at half retained prob nets a keith like return, kane at half retained is a wild card, who was the last rental of his caliber traded? msl? who netted a couple 1sts and ryan mcdonagh iirc

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
It appears so far the blueprint (if you can call it that) is starting with draft picks while anyone NHL ready is simply a roster plug so I don't think they'd be aiming for Kakko or similar. At least, it be odd to ditch Cat, Dach, Hagel for picks/guys then all the sudden go after other NHL ready youth of the same age grouping.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Is Kakko, Kravtsov and a 2nd expecting too much?
might depend on how many teams are on his list, he might only want to go east unless its a team like colorado

It appears so far the blueprint (if you can call it that) is starting with draft picks while anyone NHL ready is simply a roster plug so I don't think they'd be aiming for Kakko or similar. At least, it be odd to ditch Cat, Dach, Hagel for picks/guys then all the sudden go after other NHL ready youth of the same age grouping.
Kakko and Kravtsov are probably worth more than the late picks they could offer, former top ten picks you can give a bunch of top 6/pp min to and see if they can figure it out

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
might depend on how many teams are on his list, he might only want to go east unless its a team like colorado

Kakko and Kravtsov are probably worth more than the late picks they could offer, former top ten picks you can give a bunch of top 6/pp min to and see if they can figure it out
If he'd waive for LA, similarly I'd do Turcotte and Kupari. I'd actually prefer that to Kakko/Kravtsov

Again, Idk if that's expecting too much though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toews2Bickell

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I think Danny Boy wants to scrap everything he inherited with the club to recreate the image or something and Davidson is too eager to gamble on his entire legacy within the span of a few months.

Toews can't keep up with the top lines in the league for a while now and he hasn't shown an ability to trust linemates for several seasons. I can't see gms wanting to part with much to take on that cap hit at the deadline. Maybe a 2nd and dumpster fire multi year contract coming back at best.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Seems to me that the Rangers big need is at center with Ryan Strome a UFA. They have at an 4-5 positions to fill with $10 million available. Does trading for Kane and a $5 million cap hit mean they'd need to move another contract?

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Buffalo trades J J Peterka a 1st rder , 2nd rder 2 / 3rd rder's for Kane, Stillman , Connor Murphy

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
He's talked about looking at the Miktia records and seeing that he could break them before. He has reasons for that.

But all this, nonsense of how it should be done to convince them to leave. Hockey players are well known to typically not liking to go elsewhere a lot, they don't like to move their stuff. Kane should be aware he will not be welcomed. He's not a liked person for some valid and invalid situations of his past. He has a kid and GF here. To just think it is easy to get these guys to move is weird to me.
Just IMO - but Kane is still producing at the point where he has signficant value, and if he has a good year would very likely get a lucrative contract next year. As a future HOF player I would expect that he'd rather be in a completive situation this year than playing 60-80 game for an absolute shyte show of a team knowing he's going to be someplace else next year regardless.

If Kane was a UFA this year - does anyone think he wouldn't get a 3-4 year deal @ Filip Forsberg AAV?

Would Dallas be an option for Kane? Playoff team last year who has a solid defense and goalie already, but dying for offense. Kane and Robertson on the wing would be a really fun line regardless of who was in the middle.
I think that Dallas is going to have a cap crunch with Benn/Seguin/Pavelski combining for almost $25M in cap.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Trading for Kakko is risky. I’d much rather get a couple 1sts, even if not high. Chicago needs so many pieces long term. In the same way Dach was one more bad season from his value dropping to around a 3rd, Kakko is more or less in that same boat.
So I'd imagine you feel the same way about Turcotte. It seems KD is more interested in picks than other teams' prospects.

He wants to put his own stamp on the org.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Kakko feels like a risk they should be glad to take if given the chance, it wasnt long ago he was dominant at the world championship and in the discussion for #1 pick, give him a fresh start and a lot of consistent opportunities that he hasnt been given in NY

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Would not trade Kane for Kakko as the main piece coming back. He's entering his 4th NHL season and just hasn't figured it out.

Would NYR be interested in Toews? Chytil is their 2C until Strome is replaced, not ideal for a Cup contender. Probably would make more sense to go after Giroux for them, though.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Would not trade Kane for Kakko as the main piece coming back. He's entering his 4th NHL season and just hasn't figured it out.

Would NYR be interested in Toews? Chytil is their 2C until Strome is replaced, not ideal for a Cup contender. Probably would make more sense to go after Giroux for them, though.
2023 1st plus Kakko?

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
You can’t talk about returns without understanding how the situation develops. Kane will decide his future; the organization is doing the right thing by giving him that power.

If he only wants to play for one team the return will be abysmal. Every additional team he is open to increases his value.

If he decides to play the season and test the market all we should do is appreciate everything he brought to the franchise and thank him when he goes.

My expectations are very low.

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
I find this... odd. How people seem to go 0 or 100% and I guess that's typical. But I'm more like go 80%

I dint think it's imperative Jones or Kane be traded. They needed to make sure this team was bad enough, still having those 2 Is bad enough.

But all these folks that want to go 100% trade every possible piece, that's bad for your future young picks. I don't see why it's this way.
How is that bad for future young picks? You realize NHL prospects almost always have years as in 3-5 year to even be NHL ready? Kane won't be here in 3-5 years. Seth Jones albatross contract will be. He has no place at all on a tanking team that only wants to be putrid on ice for four to five SEASONS before they start to see if any of the young players drafted in that time are even ready to play in the NHL.

There's almost no one on this current roster that will even be a possibility to be on the roster in four to five seasons. Trade any of them for value now and go as deep into the draft prospect pile as possible.

I didn't choose this direction but if you as a franchise are going to go in this direction you have to go all the way. No shortcuts. No keeping decent veterans that will age out before any of the prospects even sniff coming up to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad